Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dometic Penguin 2 Install issues

I have a 2005 Newmar Dutchstar. Last summer our front AC unit totally failed so we had to replace it with the Dometic Penguin 2 641816C. We had a trip to Florida upcoming so were under a time crunch. The guy who installed it was a pretty new RV tech, but beggars can't be choosers. We determined that we had to get the CCC2 Thermostat. Our rear AC/Heat pump was always the better one but unfortunately wasn't compatible with the CCC2 thermostat. We even purchased a board for the rear unit so it would work but it never did, to say the least our week in Florida in June with just one AC unit was tough.

We saved our pennies and purchased a Dometic Penguin 2 65186C heat pump. This weekend has been dedicated to that install. The problems are as follows:

When I try to reset the CCC2 thermostat by simultaneously pressing the MODE and ZONE buttons the "Init" never shows. It used to until I added the second system.

When the front AC and CCC2 was installed the furnace never showed up, on the old system using the CCC thermostat I had access to it.

I suspect it's a DIP switch setting on the units. On the front unit which is Zone1, all the DIP switches are set to off. The rear unit, Zone2, has DIP2 set for Zone2, DIP7 for Heat Pump, and DIP8 for furnace (just a guess on my part). The unit arrived with DIP7 already set.

I know it communicates successfully with the CCC2. When I first set it up I didn't have DIP2 set for Zone2. As a result I had an error code of E1, switching DIP2 to on resolved that issue.

I'm not sure what the DIPs should be set to on the front AC. Or if I'm way off base any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I can't be much help, but I would guess the front unit should have the Furnace Dip Switch turned on for starters and the rear Furnace Dip Switch off.

Check page 5 of this document....http://bryantrv.com/docs2/temp/ccc5-2.pdf

Found another post.....Read post #11 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/a-c-d...ch-335376.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, I'll do that first thing in the morning, wasn't sure which one it should be set on. It does make sense that it should be on the front AC, I'm not sure how it communicates with the furnace. I'll pull the cover off and see what wiring is going on in there.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here are a few pdfs which may help you. See page 12 of install pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic CCC 2 Operating Instructions.pdf (539.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: pdf Dometic Comfort Control II Troubleshooting.pdf (37.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: pdf Dometic CCC2 Installation.pdf (2.20 MB, 132 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #5

This is a topside board that matches a CCC2 thermostat. Normally, switch 1 (External Stage) is off, Switch 2, 3 or 4 will be set ON to match unit zone number, Stage OFF, Heat strip OFF, Heat Pump ON, normally Furnace will be ON in unit 1 and OFF in unit 2, Dehumidify OFF, normally Gen Start OFF.

Unit 1 is selected by having the first 4 switches OFF. In other words, if you DON'T select zone 2, 3, or 4 it will default to zone 1.

Unless things have recently changed, there is NO Adapter Board available for an older Duotherm/Penguin that will make it work with a new CCC2.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"bruceisla"....One of the links I posted above was yours.....glad you jumped in, seems like you have a handle on this. Hopefully the OP can get it going.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"bruceisla"....One of the links I posted above was yours.....glad you jumped in, seems like you have a handle on this. Hopefully the OP can get it going.

Gettin' hot already !! .... changing A/C filters tomorrow.

....leaving Florida April 1 ....
Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I appreciate everyone's input.

Here's where I'm at now:

On unit 1, the rocker switches are all off except the furnace, it's now set to one.

On unit 2, rocker switch 2 is on so it identifies it as Zone2. And switch 7 is set for the heat pump.

My main concern right now is that I can't do a system reset on the CCC2 by pressing the MODE and ZONE buttons simultaneously. It will not do a system reset. I think if I can figure that out that things just may work. I can control the AC on unit1, not that AC is needed right now, my point is that I see no errors on the display.

Thanks for all your help,

Mitch.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchone View Post

When I try to reset the CCC2 thermostat by simultaneously pressing the MODE and ZONE buttons the "Init" never shows. It used to until I added the second system.

Mitch

The CCC2 must be OFF when you do the reset.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Based on a troubleshooting document for the CCC2, I tried to enter the diagnostics mode by pushing Program/FAN/C/F buttons simultaneously and once again nothing happened.

However, some good news. The furnace did show up on the mode section and it does work, so it seems as if everything on system1 is good to go.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
When you say OFF, I assume you mean the menu selection in mode. Unless you mean Power Off, which is something I haven't tried.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'm actually a very good reader, except when it counts, evidently.

I turned the System OFF and pushed the appropriate buttons and it actually picked up the second zone, I tested the Heat Pump and it actually worked.

All problems solved, now all I need to do is bolt it down. What size lag bolts should I use. The ones I took out of the old unit seemed a bit on the skinny side, but it held it on there quite well.

Thanks so much for everyone's help, I've definitely put way too much effort into something that should have been solved early Sunday if I would've tried shutting off the system.

Thanks again
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to see you got it working. Use the bolts it came with and snug the unit....don't overtighten or you'll crush the foam gasket.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Glad to see you got it working. Use the bolts it came with and snug the unit....don't overtighten or you'll crush the foam gasket.

And don't forget the special dogleg gasket !!!!

Tags
dometic, install