Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Dometic Penguin II ac/heat pump failure

So while in California my front AC stopped producing cold and hot air. Since I had a second unit, which is new - had it replaced before I headed to Cali, I wasn't to concerned. Since it was so cold heading back I did not test it. This week the temps got up to the mid 60's. Went back to RV and tried it again and sure enough no cold or hot air. The fan goes on, the ac goes on, the compressor sounds like it goes on as well, but no cold or heat. Any ideas? I have searched the site but haven't found anything recent. I will most likely send it out to be diagnosed this week. Based on my research it appears that these units are not as robust as the old ones. Since they are sealed it appears to be a mostly replacement option more than search and fix. Got a heads up that it could be the capcitor. BTW there appears to be several owners experiencing these fast faliures, there is one Newmar guy who has had 5 sets replaced, that 10 units. Seems to be an issue with the chinese manufacturer. Has any one else had problems with their same model AC.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vanslam.... I have been told that the quality control has dropped noticeably on Dometic ACs.

I have the same units. My front unit failed early summer of 15 in northern New Hampshire (at age 13-- that's ok). Tech ordered a new one, which was inop right out of the box. Called Dometic and ordered another. Number two also DOA. By this time I had to leave (end of summer), told the tech to leave it on the roof and I would deal with it. He told me that he had received 5 failed units just that summer from Dometic.

Wound up a few months later at Buddy Gregg's in Knoxville, and they got everything straightened out, but there were some bad units floating around a year and a half ago.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

JFXG well hopefully I won't have as many replaced as you but I had both the front and back changed. The back just got installed. So that's 2 in less than 7 months in between each other.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ARGH... I am on my 2nd unit for my 2015 Canyon Star. same symptoms. 1st one failed within 3 months. 2nd one lasted about a 12 months. Out of warranty now, so starting my research into what others are doing... fixing or replacing. hence... how I ended up reading this thread.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my first unit about a month after bringing it home last year. Our second unit went out a couple of weeks ago. Newmar is replacing it under warranty as well. One day it worked and the next day it didn't. Both units had lost their freon charge suddenly. The technician was directed by Dometic to test the amperage under load. Normal compressor operation would pull 12-13 amps but if the charge is lost it will only pull about 9 amps since it isn't compressing the freon. They don't recharge them, they replace them.

I asked Newmar about these failures and was told that they don't see an unusual number of them failing.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #6

Angry

Dometic AC quality has been "the pits". Dismal would be too kind.

A friend bought a new 2016 London Aire last year. All three ACs were dead in 2 months. All three were replaced. He had 2 more go belly up.

Another friend bought a new Dutch Star last year. Both ACs were dead upon purchase. Both were replaced. Within 1 week the front AC was dead.

My new London Aire had the front AC go DOA within 2 weeks of purchase. The center AC went belly up after 3 months.

So yes, Dometic QC is VERY questionable.

Newmar is a quality organization but supplier issues certainly have a major impact on the perceived build quality of their coaches.
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

The best long term course of action for me is to keep track of the serial numbers and when I approach the 24 month Dometic warranty period I will purchase their extended warranty.

It saved my butt with my old Mountain Aire. Having the extended warranty does not take care of the hassle but is certainly helps to minimize the financial impact.
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #8

My front and middle ac units need replacement. I was talking with the tech and he said when the downturn happened years ago, Dometic started having them built in China resulting in pour welds and sloppy craftsmanship. He recommended Coleman which is made in the USA but would require rewiring of communication cables etc.

I opted to replace the two that are bad and am giving serious thought to replacing the bedroom ac as well.

Safe travels everyone
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I recall running into 2 Newmar Canyon Star owners at my first campground and one of the first two questions was "have you had to replace your Penguin yet?" Little did I know back then...

With this much body of evidence, I have no confidence the next unit will last and I want to go with another brand, but I fear that would simply be a bigger job, more money and I am not certain it would provide a more reliable product.

As I walk my dog through the rv park, I make a mental note to inventory what other brands/models are on the newer rigs; while wondering if they are any better off?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I recently had the front penguin acnd / heat pump unit replaced. The RV tech that replaced it called to tell me the just installed unit did not work and that another new one was on the way. So far the newest new one has worked for a couple monthd
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #11

Ok why does Newmar keep using Dometic? Best of the worse? Brand loyalty or maybe Dometic keeps promising improved versions?

Does Dometic make better units but Newmar picks this the cost effective version?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #12

I believe IMHO there are quite a few techs out there who condemn a unit that does not need to be condemned because they are trying to make as much money as they can or just dont know what is wrong with it.

As far as why does Newmar stay with the vendor? It only costs them a small labor fee to replace an AC which they may have an agreement to charge it back to the Vendor if the unit goes bad.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Ok why does Newmar keep using Dometic? Best of the worse? Brand loyalty or maybe Dometic keeps promising improved versions?

Does Dometic make better units but Newmar picks this the cost effective version?

I share your question. This experience has me always wondering when my rear unit will die, will the front last long, could there be a poor wiring situation that is eating up my front unit, am I do doing something wrong that is killing them. I feel like I am just going to burn ~$1500 when I replace it. I have put off replacing the front unit for about year and living off the rear unit. Not exactly the mindset I hoped for when I chose Newmar as my FT home. But, I am work/living in Eastern Washington for the summer with triple digit summer temps on there way. I can't put off the replacement any longer. All I can do now is hope quality has improved since the 2015/16 batch.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:03 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I pulled the trigger this afternoon. I had the local mobile rv repair guy stop by. He said the compressor (?) is only pulling 7 amps and should be pulling 12. to him that means there is no freon left. To confirm the coils were not getting cold at all either. It is going to cost 1200 unit + 300 in labor. I am on the installation calendar for May 7th. He said in his opinion domestic has gone to thinner copper and that is making them too fragile and springing leaks too frequently.

Tags
dometic, heat, heat pump