RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Dometic thermostat error E4

We picked up an error code on our third zone, tried a reset by turning off power, with no change. Code is outdoor temp sensor out of spec or open circuit. Newmar is saying itís a service call. Before I do this I wanted to check with the group. Any experience with this code or another code like it?

We are using the furnace and the front zone is fine, the back zone only blows cool air and no action out of the half bath heat fan.

2017 DSDP

Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
We picked up an error code on our third zone, tried a reset by turning off power, with no change. Code is outdoor temp sensor out of spec or open circuit. Newmar is saying itís a service call. Before I do this I wanted to check with the group. Any experience with this code or another code like it?

We are using the furnace and the front zone is fine, the back zone only blows cool air and no action out of the half bath heat fan.

2017 DSDP

It is probably accurate .... I.E., the rooftop sensor is bad or the cable is failing/loose. The outdoor ambient sensor cable plugs into the rooftop control board. Normally, the outdoor ambient sensor disables the heatpump when the outside temp is around 35 degrees.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The E4 code should only affect the heat pumps, not the furnace. Is the rear zone mode set to furn? Did you turn out the power to the thermostat from the salesmen switch and the breaker? Some modules of the system are powered by 120 V and the thermostat is 12V.

I would also check the oasis panel in the upper right side of the compartment where the power cord reel is for red lights.

E4 Open circuit or out of range Outdoor Temperature Sensor (select models). Heat pump operation will be locked out. Air conditioner, furnace, heat strip, and fan operation can continue to operate.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
The E4 code should only affect the heat pumps, not the furnace. Is the rear zone mode set to furn? Did you turn out the power to the thermostat from the salesmen switch and the breaker? Some modules of the system are powered by 120 V and the thermostat is 12V.

I would also check the oasis panel in the upper right side of the compartment where the power cord reel is for red lights.

E4 Open circuit or out of range Outdoor Temperature Sensor (select models). Heat pump operation will be locked out. Air conditioner, furnace, heat strip, and fan operation can continue to operate.

Thanks. Yes did full shut down of 120 and battery disconnect. No red lights on Oasis panel.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #5

Good day Breezy2006,
You last post included "no red lights on the Oasis panel." The E4 code has nothing to do with the Oasis unit, but with the heat pump/AC unit located on the rear roof of your coach. The "smart" thermostat is telling you that the Outdoor Temp sensor is open or bad (i.e. out of range). If you are electrically trained, this can be measure using a digital volt meter. You have to know which connector on the controller board (located in the A/C unit) it is to measure. If you are not experienced, then Newmar is correct - Service Call.

Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3960, Spartan K2 Chassis, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Master View Post
Good day Breezy2006,
You last post included "no red lights on the Oasis panel." The E4 code has nothing to do with the Oasis unit, but with the heat pump/AC unit located on the rear roof of your coach. The "smart" thermostat is telling you that the Outdoor Temp sensor is open or bad (i.e. out of range). If you are electrically trained, this can be measure using a digital volt meter. You have to know which connector on the controller board (located in the A/C unit) it is to measure. If you are not experienced, then Newmar is correct - Service Call.

I mentioned to check for red lights on the oasis panel because he said his "furnace" was working in the front zone but not working in the back zone. Also mentioned "no action out of the half bath heat fan". As you mentioned the E4 has nothing to do with the Oasis but his furnace should work. Either there are multiple problems, user errors or the OP is confusing terms. Trying to be helpful...
Old 10-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

error code is gone. I removed the wire connector to test on the AC control board and after I plugged it back in 30 minutes later the code was gone. Unrelated to the Oasis issue which was think was a stuck check valve.

Tags
dometic, thermostat