Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
1. I mind my own business.
2. Do you wipe down every doorknob in a public building?
3. Is there an epidemic of people getting sick in RV parks we haven’t heard about?
Likewise.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #114

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So exactly what do you consider a "germ" that needs to be killed. No question there are plenty of harmful bacteria and virus out there. Suggest start by looking in hospitals. However, the harmful ones are a tiny minority to the neutral to good ones. Some estimates are that there are more bacterial/virus cells in/on our bodies than our own human cells. What more about 1.8% of the human gene pool codes for virus cells that we carry in our own DNA. We need many species of bacteria and viruses to be healthy.

A healthy human body is pretty good at destroying harmful bacteria and virus cells. I don't worry about germs much, but I do wear disposable gloves working with the septic stuff, wash my hands when preparing food or eating if I can.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #115

Back in the late 70s I knew a woman who was obsessed with a natural diet and wanted to avoid any chemicals in her food. One morning while she was drinking some fresh squeezed orange juice, I told her that it probably contained dihydrogen monoxide and ascorbic acid. She spit it out and said she was feeling sick already.

Don't know why this thread reminded me of that story...
Old 08-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled Hen View Post
Once again I watched another camper get ready to depart their site- and wish I hadn't!
I admit it was mildly amusing to watch the person put on rubber gloves attach his slinky then wipe his nose with said gloves on. But downright disgusting to watch him disconnect the slinky and hold it on the water spigot to rinse it out, then do the same with the elbow. Of course he left the dirty gloves on to turn the spigot on and off.
My questions to the group- 1- Do you ever comment to fellow campers that their unhygienic techniques puts other people at risk of contamination from their black and / or grey tank contents? 2- Do you decontaminate the hook ups in any manner when you arrive at a site before using?
WOW! Never thought about wiping the water connection clean but sure will in the future!!
tomur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
You beat me to it!!!!

I don't put on gloves unless it is cold outside, period.

I get a kick out of my DW when we go into the grocery store. The first thing she does is take a sterile wipe and clean the cart handle. Then we walk through the store and watch as people pick up items off the shelf and put them back, or cough all over items without covering their mouths.

I keep telling her if she wants to build up her immune system she should lick 3 or 4 cart handles each time she goes into the store! She doesn't think I'm funny.

Everyone is worried about germs on these RV hook-ups, didn't some college do a study a few years back and find out that almost all fruit slices in bars that they drop in folk's drinks had traces of feces on them?
Maybe the alcohol in the drinks sanitize them!
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #118

Texas Boomers Club
I am careful with everything I do In dumping my tanks and cleanup. I know some people aren’t so I carry a spray bottle of bleach and water that I sanitize the water faucet with when I am hooking up.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #119

When I get up in the morning I put on a complete Tyvek suit. I have rubber boots that I wear to make it easy to disinfect at the end of the day. I wear three sets of rubber gloves. I take off o set when I go to the bathroom at 11:35 am every day. I take another pair off when I do likewise at 4:55. I eat dinner at 5:30. After dinner I take off my protective gear and take a shower and wash and rinse three times. I dry off and then put on my pajamas that have both hand and feet covers. If the house windows are open I wear a respirator to protect my lungs. I my wife and I have separate beds in separate bedrooms. Everyone knows that humans are disgusting so we spend little time together. This helps prevent contact with germs. I’m still surprised that we don’t have children. I really do find my wife appealing in her protective gear at night. To me it’s a turn on knowing that she is so clean under all that protective gear.
We had a burglary once and the two criminals who were drunk broke into both bedrooms. We both woke up and they ran out the door yelling that the house was inhabited by aliens. At least we were safe.
When we go camping we wrap our trailer in three layers of aluminum foil. We remove one layer each week. We sometimes get comments but we say it’s for insulation purposes. Personally I get tired of always having the windows covered. Sometimes when I’m feeling reckless I’ll open the door and just look out. I only do that when the wife is away.
We have other things we do to protect ourselves. Let me know if you would like a further description.
When we camp I wear high top tennis shoes rather than the rubber boots. I don’t want people to think I’m weird. Funny thing is that not a lot of people come into our camp site. Any ideas why not?
May you all have peace and a germ free life!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #120

@ 09 harley

LOL... unless you're serious... even then I'm still LOL.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
When I get up in the morning I put on a complete Tyvek suit. I have rubber boots that I wear to make it easy to disinfect at the end of the day. I wear three sets of rubber gloves. I take off o set when I go to the bathroom at 11:35 am every day. I take another pair off when I do likewise at 4:55. I eat dinner at 5:30. After dinner I take off my protective gear and take a shower and wash and rinse three times. I dry off and then put on my pajamas that have both hand and feet covers. If the house windows are open I wear a respirator to protect my lungs. I my wife and I have separate beds in separate bedrooms. Everyone knows that humans are disgusting so we spend little time together. This helps prevent contact with germs. I’m still surprised that we don’t have children. I really do find my wife appealing in her protective gear at night. To me it’s a turn on knowing that she is so clean under all that protective gear.

We had a burglary once and the two criminals who were drunk broke into both bedrooms. We both woke up and they ran out the door yelling that the house was inhabited by aliens. At least we were safe.

When we go camping we wrap our trailer in three layers of aluminum foil. We remove one layer each week. We sometimes get comments but we say it’s for insulation purposes. Personally I get tired of always having the windows covered. Sometimes when I’m feeling reckless I’ll open the door and just look out. I only do that when the wife is away.

We have other things we do to protect ourselves. Let me know if you would like a further description.

When we camp I wear high top tennis shoes rather than the rubber boots. I don’t want people to think I’m weird. Funny thing is that not a lot of people come into our camp site. Any ideas why not?

May you all have peace and a germ free life!

Why on earth do you remove one layer of aluminum foil each week? That seems so very wasteful and contributes to climate change. A known fact. Once a month is acceptable protocol.

I think you need to seriously reconsider your wrapping routine. Everything else seems spot on. Carry on.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #122

Don’t watch other people leave!

We have seen people put their stinky slinky right on the spigot as well, we’ve also seen them stick their own hose down their stinky slinky. So they not only contaminated the spigot, they contaminated their own hose. In addition we never use picnic tables without a tablecloth because we have seen several people leave their waste hoses on the picnic table to dry, wash car parts on the picnic table and even wash their dogs on the picnic tables. We always use a tablecloth as well as disinfectant on everything.
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #123
tcg

I love the making fun of people thing that goes on here when people disagree.

If you think cleaning up is silly, don't do it.

If you think you need to cleanup, then do it.

Why does this sort of stuff get each side worked up.

The whole live and let live thing seems lost on some of these topics.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #124

Damon Owners Club
Licking a no no

I started decontaminating the hook ups after watching a fellow camper allow his dog to drink directly from the faucet and lick it.

UOTE=Speckled Hen;4914513]Once again I watched another camper get ready to depart their site- and wish I hadn't!
I admit it was mildly amusing to watch the person put on rubber gloves attach his slinky then wipe his nose with said gloves on. But downright disgusting to watch him disconnect the slinky and hold it on the water spigot to rinse it out, then do the same with the elbow. Of course he left the dirty gloves on to turn the spigot on and off.
My questions to the group- 1- Do you ever comment to fellow campers that their unhygienic techniques puts other people at risk of contamination from their black and / or grey tank contents? 2- Do you decontaminate the hook ups in any manner when you arrive at a site before using?[/QUOTE]
mr george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #125

This is exactly why I will be purchasing a new truck camper with a cassette toilet. No campground ever and no black tank ever.
sdarakjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #126

No elbow?

On the current trip we watched a guy attach his sewer hose but no elbow to go down in the drain pipe. He laid his hose in the concrete basin and opened his valves. Crap must have been running all over the place! When he was done, he took the water hose, stood back and washed it all down. No gloves either. Gave me a friendly wave, got in his truck and drove off. No use talking to a moron like that. He wouldn't understand.
Assateague is offline   Reply With Quote