Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #15

I'm usually too busy eating my sandwish while dumping .........

Mom let us play in the muddy rain puddles, swim in the creek/pond, eat carrots pulled right out of the ground, eat plums right off the tree, drink from the rubber garden hose.........

Wash your hands ----SIMPLE
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #16

I guess many of you never enter a public restroom or use public transportation. How do you handle family and friends visiting ?

Restaurants, bars ?

Germaphobia must be 21st century thing.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I'm usually too busy eating my sandwish while dumping .........

Mom let us play in the muddy rain puddles, swim in the creek/pond, eat carrots pulled right out of the ground, eat plums right off the tree, drink from the rubber garden hose.........

Wash your hands ----SIMPLE
Heck, I don't even use gloves when dumping!

I love the way the wet bay on our little motorhome is set up, everything within reach during the dump. The one end of the slinky never get's removed from the valve. Before doing anything, I face the outside shower outward and turn on the cold water valve. I then put the other end of the slinky into the dump hole and open the dump valve. Black first then the gray which cleans the slinky out just fine. Close the valves, drain the slinky, then back into the compartment it goes. I then bump the water pump switch on with my elbow and wash my hands with soap. Note: The sandwich comes after the hand wash.

The water spigot at campsite, no gloves. But I do make sure to run the water for a few seconds to clean out the critters that sometimes get inside it. Hook up regulator and hose, run water though them, then complete the connection at the motorhome. As with after dumping, wash my hands with the outside shower while burping out any air that might have gotten in the lines.

Wouldn't try to change anyone's ways but I just don't see the need for bleach, hand sanitizer, or gloves. I'm good as long as I have water and soap!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #18

Carolina Campers
Germaphobia is also going to be the death of us. Due to overuse of antibiotics and antibacterial products, we are creating super bugs that nothing will kill.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/7/7/01-7705_article

Best way to sanitize your hands is to wash them for at least 20 seconds with warm water and plain soap. Not using an antibacterial product. Most of the superbugs are bacteria based.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Eating popcorn on this one.......
Old 08-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
1. I mind my own business.
2. Do you wipe down every doorknob in a public building?
3. Is there an epidemic of people getting sick in RV parks we haven’t heard about?
+1

All this sanitizing is a solution in search of a problem. In fact, I too believe that a few germs are good for your immune system. I suspect the sun and exposure to the elements kills most of the germs, bacteria, viruses, etc. pretty quick anyway. Besides, it's not like I go hook up the sewer hose while I'm eating a sandwich.

But to each there own. If sanitizing the world make you feel good, by all means. I don't think there's any benefit but have at it. Doesn't bother me and it probably doesn't hurt.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I always sanitize the handle and spigot when arriving as I too have seen too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I too spray everything with a cleaning solution before using.
If you just spray the handle, spigot, whatever with cleaner or even bleach, you're just giving the bacteria, etc swimming lessons.

If you're serious about disinfecting all this stuff, then first clean it with soap and water and then nuke it with bleach.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I never do any of that stuff. I also drink the water from my on board water tank. I haven't gotten sick or died yet. The Internet has ruined things for a lot of folks.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #23

Ya'll need to ask yourselves some basic questions before being so caviler about simple sanitation practices.
1. Do you wash your hands after using the bathroom?
2. Would you dump your tanks, rinse the hose at your site , then cup you hand under the faucet to drink from it?
If you say no to 1 and Yes to 2.... you are the reason the rest of us need to be concerned about E.coli when we go camping.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #24

Don't watch other people leave!

As it’s been said many times...

“HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF!”

This is LITERALLY a duplicate post from a couple months ago.

Funny. Not funny.

Same thing - different place. Much as I’d like, you can’t change the world...not even one person at a time.

I do my best to leave places better than I find them, even if I rinse ANY part of my “system”.

I find it ironic that no one is grossed out by their “freshwater” hose being just a foot from their own SEWER system in the Wet Bay!!

Yeah, never thought about that one, did ya? So, you’re saying that MY germs are worse than YOUR’S?

Relax. If the campgrounds were a clinic, I’d be a bit more concerned. Very few “germs” survive outside the body more than a half day; even less when exposed to UV, etc.

P.S. And before anyone gets up in my junk, yeah...I’ve had two diseases; Hep A and Typhus. Neither one would have been prevented with gloves or any precautions on my part.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #25

I run the hose bibb then connect the hose. the connection keeps the germs out. the flushing disinfects the hose bibb. simply wiping the handle does nothing for the quality of water. I use a Macerator and don't have to touch any dirty connections. I also build and work on municipal STPs. and have never gotten sick due to "Germs". I also am a Transplant patient. As stated wash your hands and don't chew your fingernails.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #26

I cannot believe I have lived to be 70 without anything worse than an occasional cold from being around people who have kids when I couldn't avoid it.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I take it that you are opposed to municipal sewage treatment plants and believe raw sewage should be dumped into rivers, reservoirs or the ocean.
That is a rather personal attack. It also has to be one of the most extreme and bizarre leaps of logic I have ever seen. Just because I swat a mosquito does not mean I want to kill a bus load of nuns. Let's stay on subject? It's about germs on a spigot, not raw sewage in the ocean. Stick with us here. Offer something useful.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #28

I was raised on a farm and ate my share of cow manure. I don't use any gloves and try to wash my hands before eating, unless I'm in a hurry.
I'm amused at the wimps using dump stations with gloves. It's not like every human waste is highly contaminated!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote