Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Don't watch other people leave!

Once again I watched another camper get ready to depart their site- and wish I hadn't!
I admit it was mildly amusing to watch the person put on rubber gloves attach his slinky then wipe his nose with said gloves on. But downright disgusting to watch him disconnect the slinky and hold it on the water spigot to rinse it out, then do the same with the elbow. Of course he left the dirty gloves on to turn the spigot on and off.
My questions to the group- 1- Do you ever comment to fellow campers that their unhygienic techniques puts other people at risk of contamination from their black and / or grey tank contents? 2- Do you decontaminate the hook ups in any manner when you arrive at a site before using?
Speckled Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

I assume everything is sorry and wear gloves anyways.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

I don’t say anything, don’t need the conflict. Besides that, I doubt the behavior will change.
A couple of weeks ago I was walking around a campground in the redwoods. A guy was walking his dog who must have been thirsty. The guy walked over to an empty camp spot and turned on the water so his furry friend could get a drink.
I carry a spray bottle of disinfectant and spray the faucet before hooking up.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I always sanitize the handle and spigot when arriving as I too have seen too much.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too spray everything with a cleaning solution before using. I have found "solids" on the septic cover, spigots, and electrical...all at the same site. This was reason enough for me to leave as I could only imagine what was on the ground where we would be walking.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been parked in the same spot for over 6 weeks. Seen many people coming and going. I have waived down many campers that have left their satellite dish up. My son chased down a guy that was dragging his sewer hose.

A few weeks ago a young couple staying next to us left for the day with their awning out. That is very dangerous under normal conditions here in Flathead Valley. That day a cold front was coming in and it was obvious they would lose their awning if left out. I risked their anger and put it away.

It turned out well, as they were appreciative, but it could easily have gone the other way.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

1. I mind my own business.
2. Do you wipe down every doorknob in a public building?
3. Is there an epidemic of people getting sick in RV parks we haven’t heard about?
Old 08-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I always sanitize the handle and spigot when arriving as I too have seen too much.
X2 on treating every spigot like the previous camper left it like a hazardous waste site!

If I see that kind of foolishness in progress, I will say something like, "would you be OK with you kids/grandkids drinking from that?..."
Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckled Hen View Post
But downright disgusting to watch him disconnect the slinky and hold it on the water spigot to rinse it out, then do the same with the elbow. Of course he left the dirty gloves on to turn the spigot on and off.
We've seen this and YES, we do point it out to them. DO NOT rinse your sewer hose at the fresh water spigot. If dumping grey after the black it's being washed good enough. Also, please don't wash it and then lay all the pieces on the picnic table to dry. We also dislike seeing dogs on the picnic table; especially scooting across it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We carry a spray container of Lysol disinfectant in the wet bay and use it upon arrival. Also, we open the tap briefly and flush out bugs, gunk, etc. before hooking up the water hose. Disposable gloves are used whenever connecting/disconnecting the Sanicon hose.

Watching people leave a site is something we avoid. We just assume the worst and use hygienic practices upon arrival at a new site.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Doors and such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
1. I mind my own business.
2. Do you wipe down every doorknob in a public building?
3. Is there an epidemic of people getting sick in RV parks we haven’t heard about?
When we are going into a public building we always extend our sleeve to open the door or we open the door with one finger. We always carry hand sanitizer with us.

As healthcare professionals we are well aware that touching numerous surfaces that others have touched is a primary way of contracting communicable diseases such as Norovirus etc.

You can’t be too careful when it comes to keeping your hands clean. Do you wipe your eyes with your fingers do you scratch your nose? These are all great ways to contract a communicable disease.

Caution is the best preventative medicine.

Just our 2 cents worth.

Cheers

DJ
Old 08-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

I carry Chlorox wipes and wipe down spigot and handle before hooking up.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #13

Have you ever thought that maybe they are just to oblivious to their surroundings about what they are or aren't doing? But it does give everybody something to think about, especially when dealing with this stuff!
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #14

Wow. Can’t believe all the posts replying to this thread. I believe that we need contact with a few germs to buildup our antibodies and amunities. I told my daughter to stop using anti bacterial soap on my grandson so his body can buildup amunities before he started kindergarten otherwise he would get sick all time. I do let the freshwater run for a few seconds before hooking up but that is to get any rust and dirt out. After reading this I think I will disinfect the handle and bib now before hooking up. I do rinse out my sewer hose but with the black hose still attached not up against the supply bib. I don’t worry about doorhandles, except the ones on the men’s room where I use my pinky.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote