Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #1

Anyone had their door awning just fall off??? Ours has. We were just sitting here after eating breakfast and heard such a clatter. Since the door was open there is now about a 3" cut from where the fabric encountered the corner of the door. Couple of paint chips also where the framework encountered the side of the coach.

Now watching Don & I with him trying to hold it up me trying to get thru the doorway with him in it so I can I run back to get the ladder which was bungeed to the back ladder (and I've never attached the bungees, someone else usually does that).....well it was funny afterward. Once we got it down, Don attached the car's jumper cables and was able to get the awning to retract as it would not in it's fallen down position while still attached. So now it is in the basement until we can get back to where someone can repair.

There were breezes, but not real wind. Have walked around and found at least 6 other coaches with their door awnings out just in our immediate vicinity, so conditions are reasonable to have it out. On close inspection....it screws into a nylon base and there are only 2 screws holding it. Looking at A&E's website and finding installation instructions for this model....it was not installed with screws affixing it to the track it sits on as they say to use.

We're just glad it fell when we were parked someplace and not while driving which could have many more problem issues. Just a note so others are aware too.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:23 AM   #2

Anyone had their door awning just fall off??? Ours has. We were just sitting here after eating breakfast and heard such a clatter. Since the door was open there is now about a 3" cut from where the fabric encountered the corner of the door. Couple of paint chips also where the framework encountered the side of the coach.

Now watching Don & I with him trying to hold it up me trying to get thru the doorway with him in it so I can I run back to get the ladder which was bungeed to the back ladder (and I've never attached the bungees, someone else usually does that).....well it was funny afterward. Once we got it down, Don attached the car's jumper cables and was able to get the awning to retract as it would not in it's fallen down position while still attached. So now it is in the basement until we can get back to where someone can repair.

There were breezes, but not real wind. Have walked around and found at least 6 other coaches with their door awnings out just in our immediate vicinity, so conditions are reasonable to have it out. On close inspection....it screws into a nylon base and there are only 2 screws holding it. Looking at A&E's website and finding installation instructions for this model....it was not installed with screws affixing it to the track it sits on as they say to use.

We're just glad it fell when we were parked someplace and not while driving which could have many more problem issues. Just a note so others are aware too.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
This seems to be a recurring problem. The screws that hold the awning on (3 I believe) either aren't strong enough, or aren't screwed into a strong enough point on the coach body.

Put in a warranty claim.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As a matter of fact, yes.

Go to THIS THREAD.

..........and a follow up HERE.

It seems there are not enough screws and they stripped the holes in the plastic mounting spacer during installation.

It should be covered under warranty, as it is not uncommon.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote