RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Door Awning Not Working?

I was surprised when I tried to open this and nothing happened. It has worked flawless for a year. Now that the warranty is out it won't work.

Any ideas on what to check?

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

What kind of awning? What happens when you press the button, is there any kind of noise or anything happening that you can hear? What have you checked? Is there power at the switch? Have you checked the fuse?

Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this happen, I would hear the motor run but it didn't extend, I'd reach out the door and smack it and then it worked. Newmar fixed this during my June end of 1 year warranty visit, they just checked alignment of things and maybe lubed a few things. It didn't sound like a complicated fix so I'd just take a look at it and check to see what's binding IF this is what you're experiencing as well.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Are you hearing any sounds when you try to extend? How about if you hit retract? If nothing look at the fuse.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ray....I would try giving it a whack as suggested and then go from there. These door awnings fit into a box and can get wedged, especially if not used for awhile. If you do get it to open, a good look at it and you can see there are some adjustments to center it in the box. It took me several tries to get mine to close tightly and evenly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I finally had time to check into this issue. To complicate things it is out about an inch. I whacked it, I did the 12V turnoff (reboot) and I do not feel any vibration of a motor running nor hear a motor running. I looked at the paperwork and I can only find one fuse that says "power awning". Is this for the door awning also? The main awning works fine.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Edit to the above post: I found the instructions on how to manually bring the awning in and I got it in. At least now I don't have to worry about it while I am driving.

I know my warranty is out, but the motor was replaced during my PDI. Is there any chance Newmar may honor the warranty even though it ran out last month.

The next step is finding out what fuse is for it.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I was surprised when I tried to open this and nothing happened. It has worked flawless for a year. Now that the warranty is out it won't work.

Any ideas on what to check?
This might be a long shot:
The factory removed my door awning to do some body work. When the techs reinstalled it they couldnít get power to it. Believe it or not it was a tripped GFI breaker located in the 1/2 bath medicine cabinet. Go figure.

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
This might be a long shot:
The factory removed my door awning to do some body work. When the techs reinstalled it they couldnít get power to it. Believe it or not it was a tripped GFI breaker located in the 1/2 bath medicine cabinet. Go figure.
It was worth a shot, but the GFI's breakers are OK. I tripped and reset them to double check - no luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
It was worth a shot, but the GFI's breakers are OK. I tripped and reset them to double check - no luck.
Make sure you have checked them all. They hide the GFIís everywhere.

Jerry & Judy
Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018, Freightliner
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Make sure you have checked them all. They hide the GFIís everywhere.
I will look for more today. I checked the half bath and the one in the kitchen. I am at home, so the A/C's are only running just enough to keep the humidity down and it is hot in there.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #12

It could be an alignment issue and not a power issue. We have been full timing since November and use our door awning constantly. About a month ago it stuck when I tried bring it in. When I hit the retract switch I could hear a "click" but it would not move. I pushed on it and looked for any type of adjustments and finally got it in. Tried it again and the same thing happen so we have just kept it in.

We are scheduled at the factory next month for this and a couple other minor items. For warranty issues they could probably get you in around the first part of September or very end of August right now. I know you said you were out of warranty but it certainly would not hurt to call them and inquire about it.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I checked for any more GFI outlets, but all I could find was the two. One in the kitchen and one in the half bath. I thought for sure it would have been one in the full bath.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
It could be an alignment issue and not a power issue. We have been full timing since November and use our door awning constantly. About a month ago it stuck when I tried bring it in. When I hit the retract switch I could hear a "click" but it would not move. I pushed on it and looked for any type of adjustments and finally got it in. Tried it again and the same thing happen so we have just kept it in.

We are scheduled at the factory next month for this and a couple other minor items. For warranty issues they could probably get you in around the first part of September or very end of August right now. I know you said you were out of warranty but it certainly would not hurt to call them and inquire about it.
Last week I was told by customer service reps that they were booked till mid November for my warranty work, will do it at Coachlight

Tags
awning, door