RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Dormi Sofa

Newmar is using this Villa product in a number of their coaches.

Don't be mislead that this is a sleeper sofa. One third of the base for the mattress is the seat cushion. The other two-thirds of the base are flat pieces of wood that are 2" lower than the cushion.

They provide a $25 air mattress which you then place on top of this platform. This results in the head of the bed being 2" lower than the foot.

If you are contemplating purchasing a coach with the Dormi Sofa, and intend to use it. Then, I highly recommend that you take the time to open it up, set it up for use, and try laying on it.

You are likely to move on to a different motor home.

I can only conclude that Newmar designers and buyers never inspect and test products they select for the coaches we buy.

btw - Newmar's factory rep's response when I began a warranty claim about the sofa and recliners 'all you do is complain about our product. You bought it, it yours, we're not addressing this as a warranty issue.'

Buyer beware! Inspect and test all furniture provided by Newmar prior to purchase.

Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 05:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
That's a good idea, to actually use/test everything in the RV before buying - thanks.

I do, however, agree with the Newmar rep, "I don't like the sofa, it's uncomfortable" is not a warranty issue.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I did not state that the sofa was uncomfortable. I stated that the sleeper function is unusable.

The sofa is fine. This is solely a caution to other owners to not consider this product to be usable as a bed.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I'm unsure if that's the exact sofa that we have (Newmar has a lot of different sofa configurations), but ours the seat flips out and rests on metal legs. Then the back folds down and forms a platform for the air mattress. Ours the head was also lower, so I had Newmar reduce the metal legs to provide a more level surface. They could have reduced it more, but it is sufficient for guests.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I doubt you'll get much traction on this. Most people buy these big coaches for two people. We knew on our previous DS with the "L" shaped sofa bed, that it was useless as a bed for two adults. Maybe one adult at an angle. It was fine for two grandkids, which is what we used it for.

During our walkthrough, we unfolded the sofa and saw the air mattress. I was actually happy that it was a full size bed. I previously had a sofa bed in my in Monaco Diplomat with an air mattress. It was very comfortable. Since most people sleep with a pillow, is two inches really an issue. You can also sleep the other direction.

I just don't see this as an issue to move on to another brand, as a warranty issue, or even an issue. If I had been in the market to buy a coach where I KNEW someone would be sleeping there often, I would have checked the sofa prior to purchase, just like I checked the Captain's chairs and my recliner.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Steve - Isn't the real issue here with Villa and their design? Any brand coach that uses Villa and places that type of furniture into their coach will fail your test. Guess we need to know who else uses it so the field is leveled for those who would change brands due to this design.

Never had anyone at Newmar take that approach with me on any issue.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have had other coaches with Villa furniture that was very good. Each motor home manufacturer establishes the specifications for the furniture manufacturer.

That is why, as an example, many Newmar owners have had furniture fabric problems. Newmar, not Villa, specified a lower grade of fake leather.

The one problem I have, which can be attributed to Villa, is the incorrect placement of the adjustable lumbar support in the driver's chair. I do not comprehend how Newmar could allow this to continue and state it is my problem. If Newmar was performing correctly, then they should be representing me, their customer, to their vendor, and instructing the vendor to replace the faulty product.

In this case and one other, Newmar hasn't done that. Instead they ignore me, tell me to live with it, etc.

I didn't specify the stuff they bought. Newmar did. They are not only responsible for the manufacturing in their factory. They are also responsible for the equipment purchasing decisions they made. Repeatedly I have observed Newmar dodging that responsibility.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #8

After driving my Newmar CS for a few hundred miles I discovered the front edge of the drivers seat became very uncomfortable on the underside of my legs. I'm sure many other folks don't have the problem but I did. I simply peeled back the seat skin, took a bread knife to the foam until I got it the way I like it and reinstalled the seat skin. Problem solved. Life goes on.

I never noticed the issue during initial inspection or walk thru. Probably would have bought it anyway. I know I have some quirks that are unique to me. I either deal with them or make necessary modifications. I think it's unreasonable to expect a manufacturer to custom fit every piece of furniture to every purchaser.

Having said that, I do think the Newmar reps response was out of line. Might be interesting to hear his/her side of the story.

Good luck getting things the way you like.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, all of the furniture is made for an average size person. I miss that mark by a bunch. I've got a big butt, so my Captain's chair pinches me on the sides, because it's made for a smaller butt. I actually looked at swapping the seat and a half on the passenger side to the driver's side, more my size, but too many issues in swapping them. I'll eventually have to modify the seat base foam.

My other issue, I'm 6' 2" tall with a 30" inseam. I'm all body and I'm as tall, as someone 6'5" when sitting. Consequently, every recliner, in every coach I've purchased, has had a backrest that was too short. Each time. I ended up searching for a replacement recliner.

My 2019 is the same, the recliner back rest is too short. I like to put a pillow behind my head when I watch TV, but it kept falling off the top of the chair. This time I refused to buy another chair and added a headrest. It may not be for everyone, but it solved my problem and the chair is now very comfortable. I had two yards of the original material used to make the furniture.

This photo makes the headrest look a little big because it was shot pretty much straight on. In real life it's look very proportional.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191030_125128.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	268806
Old 12-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically, all of the furniture is made for an average size person. I miss that mark by a bunch. I've got a big butt, so my Captain's chair pinches me on the sides, because it's made for a smaller butt. I actually looked at swapping the seat and a half on the passenger side to the driver's side, more my size, but too many issues in swapping them. I'll eventually have to modify the seat base foam.

My other issue, I'm 6' 2" tall with a 30" inseam. I'm all body and I'm as tall, as someone 6'5" when sitting. Consequently, every recliner, in every coach I've purchased, has had a backrest that was too short. Each time. I ended up searching for a replacement recliner.

My 2019 is the same, the recliner back rest is too short. I like to put a pillow behind my head when I watch TV, but it kept falling off the top of the chair. This time I refused to buy another chair and added a headrest. It may not be for everyone, but it solved my problem and the chair is now very comfortable. I had two yards of the original material used to make the furniture.

This photo makes the headrest look a little big because it was shot pretty much straight on. In real life it's look very proportional.

Attachment 268806

Don you never cease to amaze on the ingenuity of your mods.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm cheap!
Old 12-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm cheap!
Necessity is the mother of invention, Poverty is the father!