RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #15

I'm not going to get involved in another point by point diesel vs gas thread and this one seems to be headed in that direction. However, I've had both diesel and gas motorhomes and currently have a 2019 CS on the 26K chassis. I have no problems with a gas rig. It's gone up every hill and pass I've come upon. It pulls my toad just fine. It's quiet enough for us and the 22.5 tires seem to make the ride acceptable.

Now I'm not a marathon driver and I think 3-4 hours and a couple hundred miles a day is plenty. If I planned to drive 20 hours a day and cover 700 miles I might see things differently. We do spend months at a time in the motorhome so I'm not sure I'd want anything smaller than what we have but that's our personal preference.

My only concern would be buying new. This CS is the first motorhome out of 9 that we have bought new and the many little problems and a few major infant mortality problems are not something I think I would want to repeat. Any future motorhomes will be 12-24 month old well cared for used units. There's plenty of those to be had.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #16

We thought long and hard on this very subject. Some things we wanted from our experience with an older 40 ft. MADP that we wanted to keep were engine power, torque, air ride suspension and brakes, inverter capacity, and holding tank size. We've mostly camped without full hookups so tank size was a major factor in our decision process. That's why we've downsized to a 34 ft. Ventana versus going with a 35 ft. Canyon Star. Bay Star was never an option for us because we could not get a fiberglass roof.

This decision has already paid a dividend as we were able to find a campground overnight site that accommodated the 34 ft. rig; however, the campground did not have a site large enough for our previous 40 ft. rig (sorry, haven't had the chance to update my signature and profile).

Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #17

Totally did this. Our first rig was a Monaco Windsor 34' DP then a 36' triple slide Windsor DP. Then we went to a Newmar Bay Star Sport 2903. Honestly couldn't be happier. I feel like the 2903 has a great floor plan and is super livable, it's easier to get into and out of most camp areas, and I no longer have to call for an XL camping spot, plus many state parks don't like rigs over 30'.

What did I give up, tow capacity (down to 5000lbs from 10,000lbs so I can't tow my F150 anymore, nor an enclosed racing trailer), under compartment storage, not as much, although internally it seems to have nearly the same amount. Some kitchen space, and the power to go up a pass at 65.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #18

Ford is coming out with a new 7.3 V-8 GAS motor for 2020 which will replace the V-10 in many applications.

Specs are not yet released but it is said that it will be mated to a 10 speed automatic transmission.

Imagine it will show up in RV's shortly after?

Will be interesting to see if this motor changes the gas vs diesel dynamic in the shorter Class A's?
csurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #19

Thanks for all the input. We looked at the 34 foot Ventana LE but the difference between the GCWR and GVWR is only 1600 pounds. That is not very much. The 24 foot Ventana is much better at 10K pounds but it is more expensive.

As I suspected, there are very different opinions but all the responses gave us a lot to look at. Yes, we will do test drives before we decide on anything. For now, we will keep looking.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
Thanks for all the input. We looked at the 34 foot Ventana LE but the difference between the GCWR and GVWR is only 1600 pounds. That is not very much. The 24 foot Ventana is much better at 10K pounds but it is more expensive.

As I suspected, there are very different opinions but all the responses gave us a lot to look at. Yes, we will do test drives before we decide on anything. For now, we will keep looking.

Congratulations!
I expect the Bay Star to be your choice. If true, I highly suggest putting in the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) so your handling and ride may be as comfortable as possible!

Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Congratulations!
I expect the Bay Star to be your choice. If true, I highly suggest putting in the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) so your handling and ride may be as comfortable as possible!

Happy Trails
I'd drive it first I have a Bay Star Sport (2015 Model) that I really can't complain about once I had it aligned, I was going to do struts, but crawled under and found it already had Bilesteins on it. I also weighed it and dropped the tyre pressures as recommended by goodyear. I might try the CHF in the future but really it's a pleasure to drive.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
I'd drive it first I have a Bay Star Sport (2015 Model) that I really can't complain about once I had it aligned, I was going to do struts, but crawled under and found it already had Bilesteins on it. I also weighed it and dropped the tyre pressures as recommended by goodyear. I might try the CHF in the future but really it's a pleasure to drive.
I have a 2016, and feel the same way. We did do sumo springs as well though and were impressed with the results.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post

Ludmilla - you are getting many good opinions and points of view and good for you for considering them all.

You're really asking three separate questions: Long vs. Short; Gas vs. Diesel; and New vs. Used.

Long vs. Short: We're on our second 34' Class A, so you know where we stand. But really, as long as an RV has all the essential spaces: bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room, dinette and adequate storage outside, extra length is either a blessing or a curse depending on how you camp and how you drive.

Gas vs. Diesel: we went from a Gas Class A to a Diesel, and would be perfectly OK going back to Gas. Noisier yes, but there's more pick-up-and-go in the Gas. Ride is rougher, but that doesn't matter when you're camping. Easier and WAY cheaper to service. Much less expensive to buy, especially if you're buying a couple years used as Gas units depreciate faster. And, if you pick your model correctly, the insides are basically the same as an entry level Diesel like the Ventana LE we have.

New vs. Used: as some have pointed out, new coaches all have teething pains, some of them severe. A two-year old coach owned by a careful owner may be the sweet spot - they've eaten the depreciation and fixed all the major things. We've bough new both times because we like to get exactly what we want, but certainly see the wisdom in buying used. A new Gasser will have many of the conveniences that an old Diesel will lack: a large inverter, an outside TV, power awnings, all-electric (if you want that), etc.

If we bought another Gasser, we would spend all the money up front on ride enhancements and sound insulation but then we'd just go out and enjoy all the money we'd saved!

Best of luck in your choice!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by csurp View Post
Ford is coming out with a new 7.3 V-8 GAS motor for 2020 which will replace the V-10 in many applications.

Specs are not yet released but it is said that it will be mated to a 10 speed automatic transmission.

Imagine it will show up in RV's shortly after?

Will be interesting to see if this motor changes the gas vs diesel dynamic in the shorter Class A's?
I think it will be several (3-5) years before this will be a viable option for us. I don't want to participate in Fords beta testing program. Look at how long it took to debug the V-10.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas