Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Downsizing Again

Well, have not posted in quite some time. Life just keeps getting in the way. In 2016 we downsized from a Winnebago Journey DL 36 foot DP to a Bay Star Sport 27 foot gas class A. Bought a Jeep 2-door wrangler to tow. Did all the usual mods, like water filter, water pressure, new radio and speakers, CB, and power protection. Also installed new braking system and tow bar for the Jeep. Had some good travels the past couple of years but not nearly enough to warrant the investment. Due to illness, the MH spent one year in the storage lot. So we are contemplating giving it all up. I think we have lost our zest for the open road and the energy needed to maintain it all. As the sandwich generation (helping adult kids with their kids and elderly parent), we just cannot seem to get away. We were wondering if anyone else was feeling this way and if giving in to age and responsibility at home is a common driver of RV retirement? In any event, we are starting to put feelers out to see if there is any interest in the Bay Star Sport and the Wrangler. Both in excellent condition and well maintained; located in SE Michigan. If anyone has given up the Class A and moved to small trailer, we would love to hear thoughts on this option as well. Always enjoy reading the various opinions and viewpoints expressed on this site! Thanks in advance for your input.

Lynn
2016 Bay Star Sport 2705
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_113346.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	803.4 KB
ID:	273304  
15650street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I no longer have the elderly parents issue and our children live 700 miles away, but we are using our 38' Mountain Aire less than we used to. Part of it is the wife doesn't want to go that much. Also part of it is we moved to our current home on a lake, which was her dream and she loves it here. My solution was to keep the motorhome and also buy a travel trailer. I use the truck I tow behind the motorhome also as the travel trailer tow vehicle. I did it because the truck and travel trailer is a lot more manageable solo on trips than the motorhome/truck combo. I took a two month 10,000 mile trip through the West last year solo in the travel trailer and had a great time. I can also take off solo easily in the travel trailer for a music festival within a couple of states radius. We still get away as a couple in the motorhome for a about a month in the spring of every year. Some of the higher line travel trailers are very comfortable and well built. I have a Lance 1685.
Not for everybody, but it works for us.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #3

We're full time and have been for two years. It's tough at times. Our two sons live back in Nevada. We're in Florida right now. We didn't spend the Holidays with them. That's not easy.

Then about the time we rolled into Florida back in November, my dad started having health problems. He's had a string of doctor's visits, tests, procedures, etc. It's a roller coaster and we're 3000 miles away.

Folks rarely talk about stuff like missing your kids or dealing with ailing parents while on the road. We're headed back to the west coast in a few weeks and we'll hang out there, withing a day or three's drive of our kids and my dad for the foreseeable future.

We're pretty young, early 50's, so we can still handle the physical requirements that come with full timing and we're fortunate to be in a position to pay folks to do the hard/technical/dangerous stuff. But a year ago, we'd have told you we couldn't see ever getting off the road. But 2019 was a rough year for us. Now, we talk about getting a house...someday.

IMHO, everyone's situation is different. Some of us have family ties others don't. Some of us miss friends and family more than others. Some folks find a traveling lifestyle tiring while others find it invigorating. We always say, and this goes for many things in life, when something begins to feel like work instead of fun it's time to move on. There's no prize for sticking it out longer than you want to and continuing to do it because everyone else does will just make you miserable. Do what's best for you.