RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Question DP choice decision between MA or LA.

We will be first time RV owners.
We are trying to decide between a MA or spend more money and upgrade to a LA.
Do you owners think that the LA is worth the extra money? If so, why?
Thanks.

jfexum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! There are many good folks on the forum who are always willing to provide good advice. When my wife and I were looking for a three year old motorhome to replace our 2007 Damon Astoria, we first compared build quality among various coaches and landed with Newmar. We then started comparing Ventanas vs. Dutch Stars and briefly looked at a Mountain Aire. We looked at similar floor plans across all three models i.e. 4369 and 4569. We then considered the substantial price for Dutch Stars and Mountain Aire and considering a motorhome is really a "family toy" but also is a respite for us on a long weekend, we decided that while Dutch Stars and Mountain Aire are of course quite nice, we didn't want anything so nice that your seven young grandchildren ages 18 months to 9 nine couldn't freely enjoy the motorhome. After more looking this past March we discovered our Ventana LE 4037 which was priced at $160,000 vs. $300,000 or more Dutch Stars and Mountain Aires. The amenities of the "luxury" Newmars are very nice but we couldn't bring ourselves to spend that kind of money when the Ventana LE meets our planned use (e.g. mostly long weekends) and family needs (not too nice for young grandchildren).

What are your plans for your first ever motorhome? If you plan to "full time" then a London Aire is probably worth the money. If only part time, would a more economic Ventana or Dutch Star suffice? Also considering that a Ventana 4369 and Mountain Aire 4569 fundamentally have the same floor plan, is spending an additional $350,000 to $400,000 the best use of your cash for higher level amenities and two extra feet of space?

The wife and I are conservative by nature so we tend to purchase the "best bang for the buck" items.

Again, welcome to the forum!!

fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Welcome to the forum! There are many good folks on the forum who are always willing to provide good advice. When my wife and I were looking for a three year old motorhome to replace our 2007 Damon Astoria, we first compared build quality among various coaches and landed with Newmar. We then started comparing Ventanas vs. Dutch Stars and briefly looked at a Mountain Aire. We looked at similar floor plans across all three models i.e. 4369 and 4569. We then considered the substantial price for Dutch Stars and Mountain Aire and considering a motorhome is really a "family toy" but also is a respite for us on a long weekend, we decided that while Dutch Stars and Mountain Aire are of course quite nice, we didn't want anything so nice that your seven young grandchildren ages 18 months to 9 nine couldn't freely enjoy the motorhome. After more looking this past March we discovered our Ventana LE 4037 which was priced at $160,000 vs. $300,000 or more Dutch Stars and Mountain Aires. The amenities of the "luxury" Newmars are very nice but we couldn't bring ourselves to spend that kind of money when the Ventana LE meets our planned use (e.g. mostly long weekends) and family needs (not too nice for young grandchildren).

What are your plans for your first ever motorhome? If you plan to "full time" then a London Aire is probably worth the money. If only part time, would a more economic Ventana or Dutch Star suffice? Also considering that a Ventana 4369 and Mountain Aire 4569 fundamentally have the same floor plan, is spending an additional $350,000 to $400,000 the best use of your cash for higher level amenities and two extra feet of space?

The wife and I are conservative by nature so we tend to purchase the "best bang for the buck" items.

Why is a LA better for full timing vs Dutchstar with a similar floor plan?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

Canuck53 --

Please don't take offense to my comments about a London Aire being better than a Dutch Star for full timing. The point I was trying to make is that if a motorhome will be a person's only "home" for a long period of time, they may want to have the "higher end" amenities of a London Aire. When my wife and I retire a few years from now, our "forever" home will likely have some higher end amenities of solid wood floors, theater room, Wolf appliances, etc. compared to the "builder special" amenities our nine homes have had during our many moves with my oil company employer.

If my wife and I ever considered full-timing, a Dutch Star would be fantastic to own.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Consider your hp requirements, there is your greatest difference in my opinion. Otherwise it’s a choice of trim/gingerbread.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #6

First choice would be what floor plan do you like best. Are you going to live in it full time? Higher end amenities would be nice in that case. Second what motor do you want. A 450HP DP will be able to handle almost any road in America even pulling a toad. Dutch Star has a 450HP. MA has a 500HP, and LA has a 600HP. You can only go so fast.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
You can find anything you need to know about any coach by following the instructions for COM_NET links.
Good luck in your hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #8

Both fine motorcoaches and Iíd be proud to own either. That said when you join the 605 HP club youíre at the top of the food chain if thatís important to you.
I was just in a couple of London Aires and a King Aire. If I won the lottery I wouldnít spend the money on the King Aire but would spend the money on the London Aire in a heartbeat, but thatís just me. Most of the floor plans go across the product lines but you can stay in 40 foot range in the Mountain Aire. I think there is one kitchen layout that is only in the London Aire and above but I might be wrong about that.
Newmar allows a ton of customization so you can get pretty much anything you want. If you like the fabric of a London Aire but only want a 40 coach Newmar will probably do it. Donít think any other manufacturer will do that without being in the million dollar price range.
Best of luck in your decision.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
There's really no objective answer to Mountain Aire vs London Aire. They are both great coaches and the one with the features that appeal to you is the one for you.

We had the same dilemma a little over a year ago; liked both MADP and LADP. The decider for us was simple; we wanted a 40' coach and that was available only in the MADP line. No 40's in the LADP line. Pretty simple for us.

Now, we did add some specials that brought the MADP closer to the LADP...and, that's the beauty of ordering a Newmar coach...the allowed modifications (specials) are almost unlimited.

TJ
Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #10

Thank you for your thoughts and information.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post

Thanks for your thoughts. We do not intend to full time. However, I do expect to make several long (2 weeks) trips.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #12

We purchased new a 18 LA after owning a Essex and another London Aire. A couple points about the difference.
1 We do a lot of west coast RVing which means mountain driving and there is a good size difference between a 605/1950 engine and 500/1650 engine. Don't think any difference on fuel usage with us on the last tank getting 7.9 mpg. There are both DS and MA owners who wish they had the X-15.
2 Do like the 3 step entrance on LA.
3 Really like the Spartan K-3 605 chassis which you only get with the LA on up
4 Just learned today the 2020 Essex will only have the Spartan K-3
5 Mountain Aire close to London AIre except for engine but the Dutch Star has a little less interior room and smaller outside cabinet heights and space.
By the one you like the most and can afford.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #13

Besides the livability questions between these two fine coaches. Consider what you might be towing behind you. If a lighter weight TOAD, either will do the job. (Heck, even a medium weight Toad, will be supported by either!). But if you see yourself with a Double or Twin Axle trailer in Double Stacker config - with all of the toys being pulled behind you - then the higher HP/Torque of the LA is the way to go...

We're at a park that is having a 'Dealer Display Showing' for several weeks. Mostly Newmar, with a dash of others. Top coach here is a LA 45'. Two MA (One Freightliner, the other Spartan). Three Dutch Star's, including a surprisingly roomy 37' with ISL... Also three Ventana's of various configurations. And others too...

I noted very little differences in cabinet or fabric between anything below the LA. And, in the LA, I was disappointed that Newmar let it leave the factory with what I considered poor craftsmanship of the wood work. The MA, by 'chance?' on the Spartan, had better quality wood finish then the LA. (And even then, well - not truly 'Amish' quality in fit and finish...). I do believe the LA had a bit thicker wood components in places then the MA. But to me, the MA and DS both 'seemed' (The DW was with me, so I spent maybe tops 10 minutes in some of the coaches.) to have very similar wood working. And noted what I've read on this Newmar Owner's forum before - very similar floor plans across models. Ventana's even had similar floor plans on some models.

So to me, if shopping for a new coach - I'd sit down and ask is this a forever coach in retirement, and for full timing? Or is this a coach that will be used for periodic getaways? And what do I need as far as towing capabilities?

This will lead you to the right coach, price point - for what you are trying to achieve and or expect from this coach!

Best of luck to you, and have fun along the process...
Smitty

(And note: Lots of heavy depreciation on a new coach. 3-5 years old coach, could save you quite a bit of coin!
Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think also it is the styling between the too, but for me I prefer the LA with the 600 hp Spartan chassis as that is what I have in my Essex.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote