Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #15

I have found that if I drop a gear, run in 5th, when the light comes on, than it keeps the temps higher. My silver Leaf 330 displays exhaust temps before and after PDF and the after reaches up to 1350 degrees. I hooked my coach up to the diesel tech computer and did a full factory regeneration and it took an hour. I was parked 6 to 7 ft from the garage with vinyl siding and it melted the siding. the best thing to do is keep driving at roadway speeds until it completes the process.
They do make kits to bypass the PDF and you can get an addition 2 to 3 more miles per gallon. Many truckers are doing it. Ask Volkswagen about if you get caught.
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks, redbaron73! I hope the engine ran long enough to complete the full REGEN cycle. It ran approximately 30 minutes; about half the time while traveling 30-50 mph and the remainder of the time at idle. The DW tells me that the DPF REGEN ACTIVE error message went out about five minutes after I got out of the coach to unhook the towed and didn't come back. It was not on when I got back in and drove the coach down to the house and parked it.

We have about 6K miles on the new coach. Does this regeneration happen every 6K miles or so? Seems like awfully soon to be having this happen.

TJ
Jim,

I've had the same light come on in my 1st year as well. It initially came on and when I spoke to Spartan the phone tech says all normal as its regenerating. I said well my Coach only had 3800 miles, and he said oh yeah its not regenerating then as it shouldn't need it for many many miles. I can say in my years driving Fire apparatus with 2007 being the first generation with DPF that I rarely had to regen the motor. It might have required it 3-4 times per year over the 3 shifts, and those rigs are cold start/full throttle/hot shutdowns with some extended idle times. So 6k miles requiring regen seems off to me, but I'm not a mechanic. What I can tell you is how my issue played out over the 1st year.

I took in Coach for minor warranty work to CoachWorks in Tracy Ca. They completed everything, but didn't do as I asked and left it unplugged so it was dead and we had to jump start it to get it running. After leaving there I got the DPF Active Regen light, and for nearly 11 months every time I took out the Coach I would get that light and it would cycle on/off for roughly 30-45mins then stay off. It would reoccur every time I started the Coach after it sat for any length of time. I also had a few other times at the storage yard where it was dead or needed charging to get her started. I took a little while to understand why and It was a combo of electrical issues at storage and how I was leaving it. I basically shut off everything except the inverter and all is good now. Fast forward to a DEF Fill recall appt at Sacramento Truck, I drove to the appt that was roughly 30 mins and within 15 mins of being there I had the Generator start by the AGS, so I had them load test the Batteries and sure enough one battery was low at only 11v. So I had both Batteries replaced and ever since no Check Engine Active Regen yet. Not saying thats why your CE light came on, but you may have a low voltage on start up issue but it could be a place to start.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #17
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Jim,

I've had the same light come on in my 1st year as well. It initially came on and when I spoke to Spartan the phone tech says all normal as its regenerating. I said well my Coach only had 3800 miles, and he said oh yeah its not regenerating then as it shouldn't need it for many many miles. I can say in my years driving Fire apparatus with 2007 being the first generation with DPF that I rarely had to regen the motor. It might have required it 3-4 times per year over the 3 shifts, and those rigs are cold start/full throttle/hot shutdowns with some extended idle times. So 6k miles requiring regen seems off to me, but I'm not a mechanic. What I can tell you is how my issue played out over the 1st year.

I took in Coach for minor warranty work to CoachWorks in Tracy Ca. They completed everything, but didn't do as I asked and left it unplugged so it was dead and we had to jump start it to get it running. After leaving there I got the DPF Active Regen light, and for nearly 11 months every time I took out the Coach I would get that light and it would cycle on/off for roughly 30-45mins then stay off. It would reoccur every time I started the Coach after it sat for any length of time. I also had a few other times at the storage yard where it was dead or needed charging to get her started. I took a little while to understand why and It was a combo of electrical issues at storage and how I was leaving it. I basically shut off everything except the inverter and all is good now. Fast forward to a DEF Fill recall appt at Sacramento Truck, I drove to the appt that was roughly 30 mins and within 15 mins of being there I had the Generator start by the AGS, so I had them load test the Batteries and sure enough one battery was low at only 11v. So I had both Batteries replaced and ever since no Check Engine Active Regen yet. Not saying thats why your CE light came on, but you may have a low voltage on start up issue but it could be a place to start.
Hi, Brad.

Just to be clear, I did not have a Check Engine light come on; just a "DPF REGEN ACTIVE" message on the light bar. I will keep an eye on things though. Since the coach was new in June 2018 and has AGM batteries, I'm thinking low battery voltage isn't the problem...but, you never know.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
I doubt that there is much commonality between a Ford F-350 and a Newmar Mountain Aire with Cummins ISX-12.

TJ
It has nothing to do with the coach, it is simply the regen process that any newer model diesel engine will go through my friend. I know you think your Cummins ISX-12 is special but I assure you it is not anything but a modern diesel engine. My 2012 F350 with Ford's 6.7 diesel did the same thing especially when towing heavy loads. I am sure the Cummins diesel in my current MH regens also but I don't pay any attention to it because it is NORMAL!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Hi, Brad.

Just to be clear, I did not have a Check Engine light come on; just a "DPF REGEN ACTIVE" message on the light bar. I will keep an eye on things though. Since the coach was new in June 2018 and has AGM batteries, I'm thinking low battery voltage isn't the problem...but, you never know.

TJ

Yeah my flashed with Check Engine and the DPF Active Regen. Yours actually may have been regening then.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
It has nothing to do with the coach, it is simply the regen process that any newer model diesel engine will go through my friend. I know you think your Cummins ISX-12 is special but I assure you it is not anything but a modern diesel engine. My 2012 F350 with Ford's 6.7 diesel did the same thing especially when towing heavy loads. I am sure the Cummins diesel in my current MH regens also but I don't pay any attention to it because it is NORMAL!
I totally agree. What that light means is the emission control system is doing what it is designed to do. Diesel engines emit soot when they run. The more load you place on the engine the more fuel it burns. The more fuel it burns the more soot it creates. This is nothing mysterious, it is the nature of the beast. Your Cummins, FLJOE's Ford and every other modern diesel would not pass emissions without it. Educate yourself on the system. It has nothing to do with mileage, it is engine load dependent. Won't change this.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather415 View Post
I totally agree. What that light means is the emission control system is doing what it is designed to do. Diesel engines emit soot when they run. The more load you place on the engine the more fuel it burns. The more fuel it burns the more soot it creates. This is nothing mysterious, it is the nature of the beast. Your Cummins, FLJOE's Ford and every other modern diesel would not pass emissions without it. Educate yourself on the system. It has nothing to do with mileage, it is engine load dependent. Won't change this.
Well, I do agree...after some research...that this is a normal process for a "modern diesel."

My comment regarding the lack of commonality between the Ford 6.7 and the Cummins ISX-12 was not based on the nature of the process, but rather on the implementation of it. In that regard, while the process is similar, the user interface (indicator lights, light bar displays, etc.) is quite different, as is duration, etc.. Same process but different implementations.

Banannas and apples are both fruit, but they are definitely different implementations of "fruit!"

TJ
Old 10-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #22

Jim,

Like you said 6k seems very low for that message. I get folks comment that its normal procedure, but 6k miles is very low to require regen for a units which are driven on highway/freeway mainly. DPF get sooted up to say when we have high idle times, many starts and stops etc, thats why I mentioned my issue. I had read shortly after my issue started another member with a KA had the same issue. He had his Chassis batts checked and found low voltage on startup, swapped batts and all good.

I do have a question, when you had this message did you have any other lights on? in particular the High Exhaust temp light which in simple terms looks like a Thermometer with ice cream scoops on their side? If not then most likely it wasn't regening as in normal mode, if its regaining you should get the high exhaust temp light as well. Just my $.02 knowledge from my work experience with DPF Cummins units. Brad
Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #23
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
Jim,

Like you said 6k seems very low for that message. I get folks comment that its normal procedure, but 6k miles is very low to require regen for a units which are driven on highway/freeway mainly. DPF get sooted up to say when we have high idle times, many starts and stops etc, thats why I mentioned my issue. I had read shortly after my issue started another member with a KA had the same issue. He had his Chassis batts checked and found low voltage on startup, swapped batts and all good.

I do have a question, when you had this message did you have any other lights on? in particular the High Exhaust temp light which in simple terms looks like a Thermometer with ice cream scoops on their side? If not then most likely it wasn't regening as in normal mode, if its regaining you should get the high exhaust temp light as well. Just my $.02 knowledge from my work experience with DPF Cummins units. Brad
Yes, Brad; now that you mention it, I did have the high Exhaust Temp indicator showing. Having never seen it previously, I wasn't immediately sure what it was. After going back and checking the symbol location and shape, I now know what it was. Your mention of it confirmed what I observed.

When you have something different like this occur, your mind focuses on the most noticeable thing, which was the light bar message display. Only after you get things sorted out are you able to broaden your focus and notice other things.

So, I'm quite sure that a true regen was taking place. Thanks for help.

TJ
Old 10-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #24

Good, then it does sound like its functioning as it should.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Well, I do agree...after some research...that this is a normal process for a "modern diesel."

My comment regarding the lack of commonality between the Ford 6.7 and the Cummins ISX-12 was not based on the nature of the process, but rather on the implementation of it. In that regard, while the process is similar, the user interface (indicator lights, light bar displays, etc.) is quite different, as is duration, etc.. Same process but different implementations.

Banannas and apples are both fruit, but they are definitely different implementations of "fruit!"

TJ
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #26

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
It really depends on how much soot builds up. If you do a lot of slow driving, without much heat load, it will happen more. I see it a lot when I drive thru Denver, spending several hours in stop and go.

I see this message often. We currently have 5,700 miles on our coach, we have been driving highways at about 70 MPH for over 5 hours. I would think that it would not need to regenerate.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My trip from napannee to my home in Texas was a little over 15 hrs of driving. Average speed according to the trip computer was 67. I never had a regen message.

I did get a high exhaust temp alert when stopping for fuel, but it went off within 2 minutes.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote