Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Drain Pipe and Fiberglass Wall Problem

We have a 2016 DS 4041
Wanted to alert others to a problem we are having. Our kitchen drain pipe is hitting the fiberglass wall when the slide is fully in. Last year we noticed a small “spider” crack on the sidewall. The dealer documented this and we all decided to watch and see what happened. We recently noticed the crack had gotten bigger and could feel a “pop” in the sidewall. We decided to get it fixed before anything worse happened. Upon further inspection with the dealer we realized the flange attaching two parts of the water drain from kitchen sink was rubbing the fiberglass causing it to crack. Newmar told us they would cover 1/2 the cost due to us being out of warranty. We thought the pipe needed to be cut a small amount to keep it from hitting. Instead, the dealer mounted a bracket to the wall to keep the pipe from causing further damage, I don’t think this will really work as the flange has already caused the paint on the bracket to wear away. (Only driven from paint shop to dealer to the KOA a mile away.)
We will address this with the dealer on Tuesday. I am mainly writing to warn others of this potential problem. 1st photo shows the light coming through after most of fiberglass was removed, you can see how the flange would hit the wall. 2nd photo shows the bracket with the paint already removed, the wall will come up when slide is in, and the flange will hit that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB60E237-4DE3-4F06-927D-7F516820B42E.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	247362   Click image for larger version

Name:	01C9DBC6-E5D7-491A-B44A-2D2E9186E091.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	247363  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

Looks like the assembly system didn't push the PVC together enough and it is causing a problem. If you saw how fast every thing is assembled on the Newmar assembly line, you could see the possibility that it could happen. IMO I would think Newmar would honor that as a defect. Let the Dealer work it for you and if that fails, take it directly to Newmar CS. Go to their website and find the CS link.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Looks like the assembly system didn't push the PVC together enough and it is causing a problem. If you saw how fast every thing is assembled on the Newmar assembly line, you could see the possibility that it could happen. IMO I would think Newmar would honor that as a defect. Let the Dealer work it for you and if that fails, take it directly to Newmar CS. Go to their website and find the CS link.
We did email, with numerous pictures, the Dutch Star service guys. And our dealer talked to Newmar - that is how we had them take care of 1/2 the cost. We tried for complete cost with no luck. I agree, I think the pipe was either cut a little bit big or not put together correctly.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a old thread on your subject with video, looking at your pictures wall shows no wallboard just the foam board which may of helped protect the outside fiberglass.
As you said the pipe maybe to long.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4797414]Here is a [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/video-plumbing-in-kitchen-slideout-107534.html#post1002496
old thread[/URL][/B] on your subject with video, looking at your pictures wall shows no wallboard just the foam board which may of helped protect the outside fiberglass.
As you said the pipe maybe to long.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting to see that video.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
All - I sincerely hope Newmar is still NOT using SPA PIPE. First it is way to stiff, and causes the ABS pipe to flex bad. I had to almost completely redo the kitchen drain on my present coach because WRV used SPA pipe in that drain system as well. SPA pipe is the worst choice, it will break the fittings, and push things out beyond where they are supposed to be. I suggest all look at this link and see if these parts and pieces will fix this issue. I have scars on arm from fixing this issue on Alpine. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/gall...eak-67149.html

Additionally I cannot see in the pictures provided where this plumbing is located, try backing away and make a wider view. But I would get Newmar back on the horn, along with the dealer, and make them fix it again, otherwise all you are going to have future problems, especially if SPA pipe is still being used. Crap, spa pipe is placed into the hot tub, then foamed into place so it never moves, because it's not supposed to move. This is bad engineering, and had I known this, I might not have bought one again. It took two days (curing time on glue used) to fix this issue. I think I still have the document that really outlines the problem on the Alpine and what it takes to fix it. Send PM for copy of it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
All - I sincerely hope Newmar is still NOT using SPA PIPE. First it is way to stiff, and causes the ABS pipe to flex bad. I had to almost completely redo the kitchen drain on my present coach because WRV used SPA pipe in that drain system as well. SPA pipe is the worst choice, it will break the fittings, and push things out beyond where they are supposed to be. I suggest all look at this link and see if these parts and pieces will fix this issue. I have scars on arm from fixing this issue on Alpine. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/gall...eak-67149.html

Additionally I cannot see in the pictures provided where this plumbing is located, try backing away and make a wider view. But I would get Newmar back on the horn, along with the dealer, and make them fix it again, otherwise all you are going to have future problems, especially if SPA pipe is still being used. Crap, spa pipe is placed into the hot tub, then foamed into place so it never moves, because it's not supposed to move. This is bad engineering, and had I known this, I might not have bought one again. It took two days (curing time on glue used) to fix this issue. I think I still have the document that really outlines the problem on the Alpine and what it takes to fix it. Send PM for copy of it.
I don’t know what SPA pipe is or how to differentiate it from other pipe. Here is a picture from further away. I don’t think it will help you much. This is from the back of coach looking forward. The pipe is the first black one you see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C649F800-32B4-4C72-A644-3EDFD288E409.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	248372  
Old 06-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Do Bing search on SPA pipe, what pictures shows me is drain line is exposed to air. And something someplace has to move to allow plumbing to go inside of coach. Either it is under the house in the bay, or someplace. Spa pipe like it's name is used in Hot Tubs/Spas. It comes in 1.5" so it's used to allow the SPA to pump water/air into all the little jets, but spas don't move, and SPA pipe is not designed to move, it is semi rigid, with little ribs. It was a convoluted mess in the Alpine, but once job was done, never had any more problems. I am going to assume NM has gotten something better than spa pipe in their moveable plumbing sections. Since our new one has the kitchen in the FWS, I am going to check to see what parts and pieces move and make sure it is not the bad stuff. It's so semi rigid, it can (and did in some cases) break ABS plumbing fittings, and sometimes those are in places you cannot work in. I would take some pictures under the sink, and if panel is in the way, remove it if possible to see what is going on in there. Newmar should take care of this, your experience bothers me because the issue might be bad engineering/workmanship. I choose them because they stand behind their products, your experience makes me wonder now.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #9

I modified the "spa" semi-flexible connection by adding a rubber coupling at the base where most of the stress locates. So far so good. All parts available at Home Depot (including the spa pipe).

I also upgraded the "RV" thin black pipe with household white PVC fittings and pipe.

If the spa connections break again, I will replace the spa pipe with possibly radiator hose (rubber) that will flex far easier yet still retain it's shape to pass liquid.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Dav L, see the thread in the alpine forum I posted link too. They came up with great way to fix the SPA pipe drain in those, of which I did mine several years ago, and it has worked fine since. HD has all the fittings, you can order glue from amazon.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #11

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/gall...k-67149-3.html

That the thread? Hadn't seen that before. Thanx
Old 06-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, that is it. I also think I have a narrative with pictures someplace, if you need it send me PM.

Tags
fiberglass, problem