RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #1

Driver Window Weatherstrip

This weatherstrip aged out. I purchased a new strip from Newmar and went to install it today.

The weatherstrip is mounted using 7 screws on the inside. When the window is fully down, the screws are under the window by about 1/4 inch. Just enough to be tempting and annoying.

The whole window frame looks like it can be removed from the outside with a couple of dozen screws. I did not want to disassemble the window frame.

Being determined, I used very thin needle nose pliers to grab the screws. None of the screws were tight. They were so close to the window, I think the window kept them from falling out completely.

Using the pliers, I was able to grip and twist each screw and pull the screw out. After a few minutes, I had removed the old weather strip.

The new strip is a standard piece that is longer than my old one. I cut the new piece to size. The screw holes were not positioned exactly like my old strip. I lined up the strips and drilled new holes.

When I went to install the new strip, I knew I would have problems with the screws. I didn't want to lose any screws, so I pressed them into the holes and put some tape across the top to hold them in place.

With some effort, I was able to get the whole strip and 7 screws roughly into place. I only now realized there was a channel for the screws to mount into. I did not need to drill holes in a specific position in the new weather strip.

Using a small screw driver, I was able to get 3 of the 7 screws properly installed. But, 4 of the screws are in a bad position. Even with my pliers, I cannot get these screws to screw into the channel. As it is right now, the screw heads are pressing into the window and will scratch the window as it moves up and down.

Appreciate any ideas for getting these 4 screws properly installed. The space is tight. I almost need some kind of filter wrench made for small screws.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I do not have a solution but while fixing the tray the window sits in at the floor I did replace the strip. This was with the window frame and all removed. Might be able to access by removal of the interior trim panel. This allows the windows actuator to be un-bolted to lower window.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TbPvZgS-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	248720
Click image for larger version

Name:	RdB3vcN-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	248721

Old 06-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
As a side note. I had to remove window to replace tray at bottom. That is where the water goes and then drains out. Original had a thin plastic tray that developed several holes and was leaking inside. I replaced it with a fabricated aluminum pan.
If you do pull the interior panel inspect the tray closely for leaks.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #4

Thanks. There is some interior trim which I did remove, but it did not help.

I am not ready to undertake a project of that magnitude. I am so close, I just need to get these 4 screws seated and turning.

Tags
driver, wind, window