Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

Driver's side mirror won't stay locked in place

Every since I moved the driver's side mirror arm on my 2015 DS around toward the front of the coach to try to eliminate wind noise and re-adjust the position of the mirror it won't stay locked in place. Each time I put it in place and tighten the 3 Allen screws as tight as I can get them (without breaking my wrench) as soon as i drive 20-40 miles I notice the mirror is starting to lean outward several inches but never goes any further. Just far enough that i have to re-adjust with the inside control and makes looking backward kind of weird.

Does anyone with this problem know a good solution to keeping it locked in good vertical position and not tipping outward?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #2

I have the same problem on my Anthem but it only manifests itself in high wind situations. I encountered high winds at George, WA and they kept up all the way across the Columbia to Ellensburg, WA. It's unnerving trying to use a tilted mirror. I'm going out in a few minutes to pull all 3 screws, clean them and try some blue Loctite.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #3

The screws don't seem to be coming loose any, at least they are still very tight when I have to loosen them to straighten the mirror. Seems the end that contacts the ball swivel of the mirror just isn't digging in enough to keep the mirror from tilting. Not much tilt, just enough like you said to be very unnerving while sailing down the Interstate.

Hopefully someone has got a good answer for this.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Allen, set the mirror where you want it and snug up the allen screws. Then....on the underside of the mirror arm is a round cap, about the size of a quarter. Pop the cap off. Take a deep well socket, I believe it's either 1/2" or 9/16", insert upward in the hole and tighten the nut inside .....firmly. Your mirror should stop moving The nut inside is tightening down a cone shaped adjuster.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #5

Is this the same bolt you loosen in order to change position of the arm? Will this bolt affect the mirror itself tilting outward?
Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Driver's side mirror won't stay locked in place

DSD has great advise. As an utter newbie I really appreciate his attention to detail and knowledge of our rigs.

But if that doesn't work, since you mention that it only moves so far try over correcting and see what happens.

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allen,

I also moved my mirror forward and was experiencing the same problem. I was tightening the set screws with the wrench that comes with the mirror and it would start to move in strong winds. Like yours, it was tilting out away from the coach.

I tightened them before my last trip with an impact wrench (DeWalt 20 volt) and have had no more movement and I drove several days in very high winds. I don't think the hand tool can get those set screws tight enough to keep it from moving in strong winds in the forward position.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I GAVE YOU BAD INFO......I was thinking of my old Ramco mirror on my Diplomat. "SWag" has it right. I bought a "T" handle allen wrench for adjusting mine and found that I just couldn't get enough torque on those screws. I welded a second "L" shaped allen to the "T" handle unit. I use the "T" handle to make adjustments and the "L" shaped one to really crank down on the screws. The shape gives me leverage.

You can go to Home Depot and buy just an allen, inserted into a 3/8" socket, in the size you need, and then use a 3/8" ratchet to tighten, giving you more leverage.

Make sure you tighten them in a pattern and not all at once. Mine are just tight enough that they won't fall, but will move if bumped.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

You can purchase allen head sockets. Mine are Craftsman. As DSD states I couldn't get my 3 screws tight even with a T handle allen wrench. I got my allen socket (from my boating and Harley days) a short extension, and ratchet and was able to get the screws to tighten right up. Nothing like having the right tool for the job.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #10

Thanks for that last advice guys. I always thought my long handle "L" shaped Allen wrench was getting those screws as tight a they would take. Will start looking for an allen Wrench I can get a 3/8" drive ratchet or a break-over handle. I was always a little afraid of rounding off the corners of the Allen screws if I got too hefty on the wrench and then things would really get sticky but looks like that's exactly what I will do now.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
You can also strip out the threads on the mirror by applying too much torque. Just be careful. I did that to mine then you have to put in a coil.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, ace