Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #57

This post started to be about the post 2015, Ford V10 engine, with the 6 speed automatic transmissions.

Comparing earlier 4 and 5 speed models to the newly designed engine transmission combo, is like comparing apples to grapes.

If you haven't driven a 6 speed, you just can't compare them. Lower max RPMs, little to no hunting gears, automatic grade braking, and no big jumps between gears in cruise control.

The 4 and 5 speed needed the higher RPMs so after an upshift, it didn't lug down the engine below its power band..
The 6 speed doesn't need to do that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
This post started to be about the post 2015, Ford V10 engine, with the 6 speed automatic transmissions.

Comparing earlier 4 and 5 speed models to the newly designed engine transmission combo, is like comparing apples to grapes.

If you haven't driven a 6 speed, you just can't compare them. Lower max RPMs, little to no hunting gears, automatic grade braking, and no big jumps between gears in cruise control.

The 4 and 5 speed needed the higher RPMs so after an upshift, it didn't lug down the engine below its power band..
The 6 speed doesn't need to do that.
Don't disagree with Twinboat here. I was just answering the OP question on where find 5 star tune Info can be found. The 5star has tunes for 4-5-6 speed Ford V-10, I think for anyone with the 4 or 5 speed it is a no brainer; however, the new 6 speed may be a much closer compare to cost verse benefit.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #59

Always use tow/haul.

A Ford representative at a MH rally told me to always drive in tow/haul, especially in the hills. He says that's what he does.
I have a 37+' Georgetown and tow a Jeep Cherokee.
I have tried this and found it to be good advice. The only problem I've encountered is when going down hill it's hard to get it to up shift. It slows down the MH below the speed limit and I'm wasting gas. I could the gravity to coast. At that point, I shift out of tow/haul and it upshifts. Then I push the tow/haul button to turn it back on.
My 2017 F53 V10 says it hits max torque (460) @ 3,000 RPM, so it pays to keep this in mind.
I also don't use CC in the hills.
WhatDoIKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatDoIKnow View Post
A Ford representative at a MH rally told me to always drive in tow/haul, especially in the hills. He says that's what he does.
I have a 37+' Georgetown and tow a Jeep Cherokee.
I have tried this and found it to be good advice. The only problem I've encountered is when going down hill it's hard to get it to up shift. It slows down the MH below the speed limit and I'm wasting gas. I could the gravity to coast. At that point, I shift out of tow/haul and it upshifts. Then I push the tow/haul button to turn it back on.
My 2017 F53 V10 says it hits max torque (460) @ 3,000 RPM, so it pays to keep this in mind.
I also don't use CC in the hills.
How are you wasting gas, coasting down hill ?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #61

Normal and nothing to worry about on the Ford V-10. It is made to do that regularly. My cruise control kicks off when it can't keep up so I turn it off and just drive in hills.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoNick View Post
We're out of Durango, CO, so really, really know "hills". Cruise control in our 2014 Bounder is about useless in the mountains. However, it is nice when not in them.

First, keep in tow/haul. Always. It really helps when going down the mountains as stepping on the brake will cause a downshift automatically.

Second, cruise control tries to hard to keep you at speed. You have probably noticed that it shifts into low way before it really needs to. That is anytime the grade is sufficient that much downshifting is required. When you are on roads that cruise control makes sense, but are approaching a little climb, tap your brake to paus the cruise and YOU control the speed and downshifting. You will find that much of the time you can stay in a higher gear than the cruise would have put you in.

Finally, it is ok to go slow up an incline. The other side will be there when you show up.
Very helpful. Thanks DurangoNick.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #63

2017 V10 w/6sp tranny

Late to the party, I read most of the posts. I just have an observation.

I was interested in the 5 Star Tune until I decided to figure out the amount of miles driven at the current cost of 85 octane in my area and the increase in gas mileage, if any, that would drive my decision.

My current gas mileage is 8.22, over 3400 miles driven, various terrain. At $2.799/gal that comes to around $1130.

I would have to get an increase in gas mileage to 10mpg and drive 7500 miles, or 2 years of camping, for that to pay back. Not a bad ROI from my perspective, if there is a 1.8mpg improvement in gas mileage.

However, what I have been able to get from reviews on the 5 Star site, one person posted an improvement of .5mpg avg. Which means the ROI would move out to 7 years. Now that's a bit long on the payback time (don't forget to factor in increases in the price of fuel, which I am not able to do).

So for the meantime I will just drive without CC in hilly country and CC on the flats for the foreseeable future, until something with more substantial numbers comes around.

Thanks for putting up with my ramble, comments welcome.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy_g View Post
Late to the party, I read most of the posts. I just have an observation.

I was interested in the 5 Star Tune until I decided to figure out the amount of miles driven at the current cost of 85 octane in my area and the increase in gas mileage, if any, that would drive my decision.

My current gas mileage is 8.22, over 3400 miles driven, various terrain. At $2.799/gal that comes to around $1130.

I would have to get an increase in gas mileage to 10mpg and drive 7500 miles, or 2 years of camping, for that to pay back. Not a bad ROI from my perspective, if there is a 1.8mpg improvement in gas mileage.

However, what I have been able to get from reviews on the 5 Star site, one person posted an improvement of .5mpg avg. Which means the ROI would move out to 7 years. Now that's a bit long on the payback time (don't forget to factor in increases in the price of fuel, which I am not able to do).

So for the meantime I will just drive without CC in hilly country and CC on the flats for the foreseeable future, until something with more substantial numbers comes around.

Thanks for putting up with my ramble, comments welcome.
Sometimes it's not about ROI, but about enjoyment. With my RV I don't look at it as a business. It was money well spent for me. But to each his/her own.

Enjoy...[emoji4]
Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Sometimes it's not about ROI, but about enjoyment. With my RV I don't look at it as a business. It was money well spent for me. But to each his/her own.

Enjoy...[emoji4]

I appreciate that, I have always tried to justify my purchases. I may change my mind, who knows.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #66
CLR

Quote:
Ford spent a lot of money on setting the new tuned V10 engine and the 6 speed transmission up to work together. Put it in drive and drive it.
Sure it can get loud but that's where the power is.

The $400+, 5 star tune will give you more power, but only if you don't have enough now, while holding the gas pedal to the floor. Do you need that much power ?

I have a 2017 and tow a Jeep Renegade. In stock Ford configuration, it works great. I traveled from upstate NY, down I-81 thru NY and PA. and over the Blue Ridge mountains, to FL., at 63 MPH, in Tow/Haul and cruise control. I let it handle the hills and just steered it

Owners with the older 4 or 5 speed trans. don't know how different the newly tuned, lower RPM, V10 and 6 speed combo works.

A tune chip can't change engine RPMs at a particular speed. That's a function of gear ratios, not horse power or torque.
It's my belief that NO ONE should get this 5 Star Tune on any rig that is under warranty. Have you ever wondered why they also try to sell you insurance? If the tuning gets changed it throws a flag in the computer system that ford can see, and your warranty is voided. Changing back to the original Ford Program will not clear that flag.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post

Enjoy...[emoji4]
It would be money well spent on a 2006 with a 5 speed transmission. It mellowed out the shifts.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #68

octane rating : Don't go below 87

The 2019 F-Series Super Duty Class A Motorhome and Commercial Chassis Owner's Manual states on page 29, not to use an octane rating below 87. Also, they recommend using Top Tier detergent gasolines where available. John Coon. 2019 Tiffin 34PA Flat towing a 2019 Toyota Corolla SE MT6, which weighs only 3000 pounds.
jukeboxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
I have 2018 Canyon Star with the 6 speed and 5 Star helps. To Redapple’s point, it is all about enjoying driving. Higher torque at lower RPM and no double downshifts.
As far as the warranty is concerns, there is documentation from Ford in other 5 Star threads stating that it will not void the warranty
Old 04-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #70

Quote:
It would be money well spent on a 2006 with a 5 speed transmission. It mellowed out the shifts.
Agree

Tags
ford, v10