Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
We currently have a Newmar Canyon Star 3856 and hope to upgrade to a Dutch Star in the spring. Both of us currently drive the Canyon Star. My husband has a CDL, but I am "new" to driving a diesel with air brakes. I have looked all over for training on Air Brakes, but to no avail. It seems that all I can find is taking a class for a full CDL. I am interested to know whether or not others took a class or just learned "on the road".
There is someone with a CDL license who can "train" you who lives right in your house with you: your husband. Cheers.

Also, if you're planning on a Dutch Star, you should probably check out this thread first. Cheers. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/over...ry-270555.html
New Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
There is someone with a CDL license who can "train" you who lives right in your house with you: your husband. Cheers.

Also, if you're planning on a Dutch Star, you should probably check out this thread first. Cheers. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/over...ry-270555.html
Have seen the thread and keeping in mind...Thanks!

Uhmmmm....as far as hubbie - would like to stay married so we can enjoy coach together
Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
Here in Texas a class B non CDL is required for any vehicle over 26,001 lbs or if it has air brakes. Both a computer test and a road test. I just took mine and passed.

Just read the air brake part in the CDL book that relates to how to test the air brakes. There are 3 tests that the examiner will test you on and you must explain them each while you preform them. Also study Chapter 14 of the book.

Hope this helps!
I got my Class A License in Texas without taking an air brake test. When I bought the MADP, I called DPS and they said "Air brakes is a restriction on a CDL license, not an endorsement. There is no air brake restriction on non-CDL Class A or B". My hot shot delivery driver has a Class A CDL with an air brake restriction "L". Texas Endorsements and Restrictions.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I both got our Class B (non CDL) at the Livingston DPS about two years ago. There was no specific testing on the air brake system. Of course, we had to demonstrate normal usage during the road test, but that was it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Check these folks. RV School
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Get the Video "How to Drive your Motorhome like a pro", should be on Amazon, if not send me a PM and I will try to make you a copy and mail it to you. Need and address.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Have seen the thread and keeping in mind...Thanks!

Uhmmmm....as far as hubbie - would like to stay married so we can enjoy coach together
Yeah, I figured it must be something along those lines (with the hubby). I'm actually in the same boat as you because I'll soon be buying my first motorhome and it's diesel pusher with air brakes, as well. So I still have to familiarize myself with the air-braking system, too. The recommended air-brake inspection check that you're supposed to do each time before you drive your MH looks pretty involved. But once we get the hang of it, it's probably no big deal. Good luck on your future adventures! Cheers.
New Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #22

I just learned on the road. Keeping air pressure up is the main thing to know. I added Lanyards to my air tanks 2 yrs ago so I don't have to get under MH to bleed the air tanks, although I never had any problems w/water in the air lines over 11yrs of use. Now I bleed the air tanks off after driving each day. I think the air/water filter works well on the Spartan Chassis.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
CDL

I decided to pursue getting a CDL from our local school district. That way, we both will be covered in all states and not have to worry about different regulations.
Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I decided to pursue getting a CDL from our local school district. That way, we both will be covered in all states and not have to worry about different regulations.
There is reciprocity between the states. You only have to be legal to drive in your state, and it is good for all states. Same does not apply to all issues like overall length etc.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #25

Quote:
I think if you're so inclined, you should go for it. Have fun! Not having to worry about what you don't know will make your adventures that more stress free.

Tags
air brakes, brake, brakes