Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
Community Administrator

I've been using my Craftsman for years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	152089

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Kirk,

I have a pressure gauge on the air spigot by the generator up front. I get 125 psi and I carry a long enough air hose so that in an emergency, I can air something up. I had a TMPS sensor lose air because it wasn't on tight enough on my first run, and that's what I used. Did they not have air up front on the 2016s?

They do.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #17

What do we need to connect to the air on our coach? A hose? Sorry for my ignorance. We bought the eez tire monitor system, which I am really impressed with. Would be good peace of mind to know we could add air in an emergency. We are new to rigs and def new to a diesel pusher. Thanks for all the great comments and information!
dutchstargtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #18

DS 2016 Tires - Air compressor recommendations?

I bought a Viair, but it struggled to inflate the front tires to 130 psi. It took a long time. Eventually, I broke down and bought the power tank (powertank.com). This uses a compressed CO2 cylinder and it is really fast.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #19

I use the Viair 400P RV. Added 50' of 300 psi rated hose and put the stiff yellow slinky hose which came with the Viair in a cubby for a back-up. Make sure the air gun which comes with the Viair is calibrated. All considered, this is a great set up.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:54 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm not sure why there is so much concern over tire pressure. My coach can sit for a month and the tire pressure is less in the morning when it's cool, more in the afternoon as the sun hits them, and then way higher when I'm driving it. I bought the coach, weighed it, then set the pressures. I have a TPMS and I can watch the pressures change as the day goes on. Why would you need to carry a compressor? Are you out there constantly trying to keep the tires at some magic number? If you have to add air all the time there must be a problem somewhere? My front tires can go from 100 to 120 when I'm driving, the rears from 85 to near 100. Are you really going to go out every morning before sun up to pressure check your tires? If you need a little air, pull into a truck stop and add a little. Driving to a fill up place a few miles won't hurt anything. I don't carry a spare can of diesel.
5 psi one way or the other is not a tragedy. However, if you are getting ready to leave your CG in the morning and find that you partially unscrewed a valve extension on the inside dual while adjusting your tpms the day before, and see that you are now holding 75 psi, you will wish you had a compressor. What was the motto of the Boy Scouts?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:29 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I carry an air hose and have 120 psi up front and run my fronts at 100 and rears at 85. If that didn't work I belong to Good Sam and FMCA.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not sure why there is so much concern over tire pressure. My coach can sit for a month and the tire pressure is less in the morning when it's cool, more in the afternoon as the sun hits them, and then way higher when I'm driving it. I bought the coach, weighed it, then set the pressures. I have a TPMS and I can watch the pressures change as the day goes on. Why would you need to carry a compressor? Are you out there constantly trying to keep the tires at some magic number? If you have to add air all the time there must be a problem somewhere? My front tires can go from 100 to 120 when I'm driving, the rears from 85 to near 100. Are you really going to go out every morning before sun up to pressure check your tires? If you need a little air, pull into a truck stop and add a little. Driving to a fill up place a few miles won't hurt anything. I don't carry a spare can of diesel.
One of the most important VI points you should hit is tire pressure. It should be checked EVERY time before you start a trip. If it's one day since you traveled, or one month tire pressure needs to be a part of your vehicle inspection. This is one of the biggest causes of accidents, under inflated tires. Most Class A's carry a air connection point that you can connect to for the purpose of adding air. However, sometimes adding air in a front tire can be an issue depending on how much you carry. The pressure in your tanks needs to be higher than the pressure you want to add or you will be removing air from your tires. This means generally you add a few pounds and wait for the pressure to build in your tanks, then add a few more pounds and so on. This is generally why people carry the Viair 400P RV. Also it can be noisy to run your engine in a campground to air up your tires, especially if you are trying to get an early start. I carry the Viair because it is very quiet, it can however take more time than you think to add 5 pounds. If I want really quiet I hook it to my Toad, it can still reach all my tires.
SMertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #23

Most Class A's carry a air connection point that you can connect to for the purpose of adding air.
-----------------------------------------------------
This is only true of diesel powered Class A MHs.
There is no air systems, in gas engine Class As.

If you feel the need to check your tire pressure every time you move, you should invest in a monitoring system.

Everytime you check pressure, you risk creating a slight leak in the tire valve and core. Unless you spray the valve core with soapy water, you don't know for sure it has sealed properly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most Class A's carry a air connection point that you can connect to for the purpose of adding air.

If you feel the need to check your tire pressure every time you move, you should invest in a monitoring system.

Everytime you check pressure, you risk creating a slight leak in the tire valve and core. Unless you spray the valve core with soapy water, you don't know for sure it has sealed properly.
You are correct about DP of course. I forget not all class A's are pushers.

As far as checking air, I've been doing this for more than 40 years since my days of truck driving, and never caused any kind of leak. Given that under-inflated tires are so dangerous I just check them, it could save a life. You could use a TPMS for in motion or during your trip, but I would still do it as part of your VI prior to any trip. Keep in mind batteries in TPMS can go bad and give false or no readings. For me this means checking tire pressure about once a month or so since I normally stay for a while in a camp. I also understand most people have no clue how much air to run in their tires. They simply read the sidewall and add the max.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

I was constantly checking my tires as suggested which meant taking the tpms off of the valve stems since they are not flow through. Next thing I know I got a warning on one of my tires for low air pressure. Sure enough the tpms didn't get screwed on far enough. Scared me. I aired up with my up front air spigot and haven't messed with them since. I turn the tpms on when I start to square away before leaving so I can see where they are when I sit down. Mine is the EEZRV and it has a battery charge indicator. I charge it once every few months. If it ain't broke....
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #26

BTW a large Rv sales \ supply wanted 25.00 to add air.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To me one of the best features of a TPMS is being able to easily check tires every travel day during preflight.

Note that some TPMS require the sensors to move before they will activate, and thus won't allow for such a preflight check.

I carry the Porter Cable compressor. Also have a CO2 tank in the Jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think most are missing the point of doing a physical inspection. Using a TPMS is fine but not a replacement for an inspection. The purpose of checking air pressure is not only to check air, but to do a close inspection of every tire & wheel. Looking for cracks in the rim, oil leaks, uneven wear, rust around lugs etc. Far too many rely on a TPMS and never look at their tires, in fact many don't even know what to look for.

Speaking as experienced truck drive, and knowing what will happen in a blowout - especially if you have a DP and have a front wheel blowout, you should still do the inspection. Your life is not only on the line but others on the road as well. Yes there are after-market steering stabilization systems that can help in a front tire blowout. The fact that these even exist should be a warning.
IMHO

Tags
compressor, tires