Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DS 4369 2015 Requesting Real World Info

Ok, 24 hours and counting, I have a question that I would like to see if I can get answered from some of you who have even in the unit real world.

Our unit will have a 10K Genny in it, I know that 125K will give me 50 amp. Since we only have a 10 K the DW asked if she will have to pick and choose what to run in the new unit.
I, of course told her not to worry about it it will all be done behind the scenes without having to push any switches.
Her actual question was
" so, in the new RV, if I want to run the dishwasher, the washer, and take a shower, will it all work, or do I need to flip all the switches and pick and choose"

Any thoughts would be great !!

Stefan
2004 Pace Arrow 37c w22 Leaving us soon
'15 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Hi Stefan,

The short answer is she probably doesn't have to do anything. The energy management system will load shed; if necessary. The only large electrical load from the items you mentioned is heating the water. If you're using the washer, dishwasher and taking a shower all at the same time, you would need the diesel burner operating on the Oasis. The electric heating elements wouldn't be able to keep the water hot. The air conditioners are the main electrical load. I haven't done the numbers, but if you had all 3 air conditioners running and both Oasis electric heating elements on and other coach loads (lights, refrig, etc.) you might need more than 50 amps. I'm sure there are others that can chime in who have probably calculated the amperage draw for all of these devices.
Aggiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same coach and have not had any issues running all 3 AC's, refrigerator, microwave and so on at the same time. Just start the AC units one at a time after the genny is up to full capacity. Last time I checked, the generator was delivering around 83 amps.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just to be clear as TwoCorners has said...your generator is good for up to 83 amps.

Keep in mind that even on shore power you only get 100 amps so...

3 ACs = 45 amps (plus surge at start up). Hard to imagine you will need all 3 ACs on generator and be doing a lot of other stuff.

Microwaves, coffee makers, cook tops and hair dryers run about 10-15 amps each.

The dryer we have pulls about 10 amps and the washer less than 5 if I recall correctly. However, you shouldn't be using the washer unless you are on sewer and that should limit dryer needs while dry camping.

The refer is nothing compared to other many other devices.

The bottom line is...I can't see a realistic situation where you would run out of power or couldn't juggle a tiny bit (like running Oasis on diesel) to make it work without much fuss.

BTW...something that is not normally considered is the inverter pass through limits when on shore power. Depending on the inverter model and how it is wired, you may be limited to 3600W (30 amps) of devices running at the same time on inverted circuits even when you are on shore power. The best way to tell your inverter pass through limits is to look at your main breaker panel. If the inverter breaker is only 30 amps, you get 3600W pass through. If it is a double 30 or single 60 amp breaker, you get 7200W (60A) pass through. This information is based on having a 12V Magnum Energy (MS) inverters of more than 2000W or a very specific 2000W model. However, the Magnum Energy Hybrid models (MSH) are required to be wired for 60 amp pass through.

How does this affect you? A friend of mine found this out when they tried to run the cook top, a microwave and coffee maker at the same time while on shore power and they were all on inverted power sources. That caused the breaker in the inverter to pop and he had to go down into the basement and reset it. In helping him find out the problem is where I found out about the pass through limits. The generator running wouldn't change this situation.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great Info, I am pretty sure she is not going to go crazy with everything running, just wanted to make sure the shed system dosent have to be switched manually like on our current PA....

Great info guys , thanks

Stefan
2004 Pace Arrow 37c w22 Leaving us soon
'15 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The system is all automatic and you will probably never use enough power to shed loads.
Our previous coach with 8k would shed very rarely on genny and a little more frequently if we were hooked up to 30amp instead of 50.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote