Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
DS cold weather tips

For all you full-timing DS owners.

Now that evening temps are getting near freezing (yes, my migration south has started), I'm wondering if ya'll do anything "special" to help keep the cold out at night? Note, I am not talking about below freezing temps.

The obvious items already done include insulation pad things in the ceiling vents and... turn the furnace on. Hmm, not much of a list.

Specifically wondering about the microwave/oven vent to the outside, dash cover or any other secrets. My shower sky-light is such (nearly flush) that "plugging" it does not appear to be an option (not even sure if it would make any difference).

This rig is MUCH better equipped for the cold(ish) temps than my last rig but still looking for hints and tips!

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DS cold weather tips

We have found our '02 DS to be very well insulated. The only special steps we take in cold times are to keep the window shades / curtains drawn (we do have insulated shades), put insulated pillow blocks in the two roof fans, and we have two small ceramic heaters as supplements-- mostly to circulate the heat, which tends to stratify when using the heat pumps a lot. We don't block the shower skylight (we both prefer to have it there), we don't cover the MW/conv vent (we use it), and we keep a thick blanket on the dash year 'round for the cat.

Having said that, we generally avoid hard winter conditions. We do regularly experience temps that dance around freezing or maybe the high 20s, and occasionally we've gotten into short spells (5-10 days) of temps in the mid-teens. You just have to remember to check the overnight forecasts. We use the heat pumps routinely, down to about 38*. Overnight lows lower than that get the furnace so we'll have warm air routed to the water bay.

Hope this helps!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Up until Feb of this year we've had DSDP's (a 2000 and then a 2002), both ordered new. Both had dual pane windows but other than an optional roof insulation package in the '02 nothing more in the way of cold weather prep like tank heating pads.
Never did much other than putting a 100 watt bulb or 200 watt heater in the wet bay, run a heater inside and open a few of the doors that had plumbing behind them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the input!

I'm a full-timer and mostly dry camper/boondocker so electric heat is a bit of a luxury. I spend my winters in southern New Mexico and Arizona so my "cold" is relative - typically above freezing overnight temps. If colder temps are approaching, I usually find a different place or some shore power.

Keeping the heat I do produce inside the rig is generally a useful task. The idea of insulated window shades is interesting. I've spent the summer keeping heat OUT of the windshield so have to reverse my thinking a bit now.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

I have a whole thread about being in single digit temps, from last winter as we were headed out.

I haven't quite figured out linking from the iPad yet. You can find it by searching my user name.

We're in zero and below a few times a year, don't have to do much in the DS with Oasis.

Tags
cold weather