Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
DS Slide Stowed itself Last Night!.

We awoke this morning to find the drivers side had stowed itself! We moved it back out and to ensure it didn't occur again, we pulled the fuses.

I am at a loss to figure out how this happened.....Has anyone ever hear of this happening? Maybe an issue with the controller?
Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Awanderlust,
Is the outside temp much different than what you usually camp in? Is this a single incident or a trend? The reason I ask is when a coach encounters temps considerably hotter or colder than "normal" strange things can happen?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Awanderlust,
Is the outside temp much different than what you usually camp in? Is this a single incident or a trend? The reason I ask is when a coach encounters temps considerably hotter or colder than "normal" strange things can happen?
Hi Gary - this was the only time it has happened and the temps were a little colder than what we had been camping in.
Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

I have the same coach and have not had that problem. Did it talk to you before it slid in? I can't imagine I would sleep through the slide coming in but that is just me. It must have been a short in the circuit but strange.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Is the slide hydraulic? If so, I'd have a close look at the solenoid and it's seal.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi awanderlust,
I haven't had this happen but, that could be really dangerous in some cases.If you could when you find out what the problem was please post it.I think that could help. Tks.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same thing happen to my former 05 Kountry Star. The "Intellitec"
slide controller that you push only once is very sensitive to RF (radio frequency) noise coming from a CB radio or Ham radio operator that is very close to your rig.
Also some fluorescent lights will put out some RF. So when the slides are out,just pull the fuse to be safe.
You will find more about this problem on this and other forums.
Siggy D.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Siddy is correct in his post about RF you can also add if your near an airport possibly happening.
May want to check the plugs on controller and clean with contact spray plus the 12v fuse panel for loose wires connection for that slide. Wire connections can loosen up from vibration.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We too have the same 05 4009 and three years ago had the same thing happen while @ the Big Oak campground in Tallahassee. The two forward slides would open and close at will until we removed the fuses. It has not happened since then. We will not go back to this campground.

We could not find and signs of a Ham operation or other devices that would cause this. Newmar had no suggestions.

Slides have worked fine since we left.

As a long time Seminole fan, I attribute it to possibly being a Seminole burial ground!

Let me know if you learn what the cause is.....
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RF will definitely cause some slides to come in on their own; and the source may be some distance form your MH so you may not see it. I know in my case if I am tuning my antenna to a different frequency it will activate slide control. Ham radio operators can legally run up to 1500 watts of power out put. By the way I fixed my slide problem with some toroids on the input wires near the controller. This may not be the answer to your situation but it was mine.

Good Luck!
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Trip View Post
We too have the same 05 4009 and three years ago had the same thing happen while @ the Big Oak campground in Tallahassee. The two forward slides would open and close at will until we removed the fuses. It has not happened since then. We will not go back to this campground....
Following up on 007 airport comment. That CG is just east of the final approach course to TLH and 8 miles out.

Big Oak RV Park to Capital Cir SW - Google Maps

That would be pretty close to the turn to final for traffic from the north and east. I would have expected that you would hear all that traffic but sometimes cause and affect just might not connect.

The 2 most probable sources of RF interference in that case would be air to ground radio from the aircraft to ATC and/or the aircraft's radar (weather and altimeter) signals. Under certain conditions that would be a prime place for lots of pilot to ATC chatter. Aircraft directly overhead in that case would be putting out a pretty strong signal both for their on-board radio and radar systems. ATC radios for the airport would normally be on or near the airport itself so wouldn't be causing the problem. There is always the potential for ATC radios to be remotely located anywhere. Still, you really need to be close to such a site to be affected.

BTW, one why you can check this out is with a radar detector that can tell you what band it is picking up. Aircraft radar will generally cause an X-Band warning when they pass over you at low altitudes. Anyone driving I-75 through ATL can attest to that.

It could be POSSIBLE that the ATC radar could cause this but I doubt it because most ATC radar has a slight tilt upward to avoid excessive ground clutter. I didn't think that would be the case.

If you like the park, just pull the breakers and enjoy.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's scary and could really cause some damage or even kill a pet. Never had it happen to us though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I at one time had my slide go out all by itself while I had it parked next to my house. My son came home one night and ask me where was the noise coming from and as I looked out side and went around the M.H. I saw that the slide out was out and banging agents the fence so I had to pull it's fuse to stop it from hiting the fence..
It turned out to be a water filter under the sink that had a crack in it and the water that driped from it went through the flooring into the Electral systen which was located under the sinks floor.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of our controllers are in inside cabinets:

Just remembered I installed a kitchen sink water filter next to this control but its disconnected for winter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide