RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

DS vs NA

Hi all,
I’ve been following this forum for quite some time, and I’m now finally in the process of purchasing my first diesel pusher (which will definitely be a Newmar). Like most of you, I’ve been quite enamored by the decision (finally) to make a high end luxury coach on a smaller chassis like the New Aire, but after reading about so many of the problems associated with rolling out this brand new product that many of you have reported here, I’m thinking maybe a Dutch Star in the 37 foot range might be better for now. Those of you who currently own either of these coaches, which would you prefer and why?

Skyjockey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjockey67 View Post
Hi all,
Iíve been following this forum for quite some time, and Iím now finally in the process of purchasing my first diesel pusher (which will definitely be a Newmar). Like most of you, Iíve been quite enamored by the decision (finally) to make a high end luxury coach on a smaller chassis like the New Aire, but after reading about so many of the problems associated with rolling out this brand new product that many of you have reported here, Iím thinking maybe a Dutch Star in the 37 foot range might be better for now. Those of you who currently own either of these coaches, which would you prefer and why?
Just published my one year post appraisal of the New Aire here. I took delivery of one of the first NA's.

I have no experience with the Dutch Star. Don't recall seeing anyone on the forum who has owned both.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi all,
Iíve been following this forum for quite some time, and Iím now finally in the process of purchasing my first diesel pusher (which will definitely be a Newmar). Like most of you, Iíve been quite enamored by the decision (finally) to make a high end luxury coach on a smaller chassis like the New Aire, but after reading about so many of the problems associated with rolling out this brand new product that many of you have reported here, Iím thinking maybe a Dutch Star in the 37 foot range might be better for now. Those of you who currently own either of these coaches, which would you prefer and why?
We were also deciding between a DS and NA prior to our decision to order the NA. After placing our order, I admit to having second thoughts because of the various comments on this forum. However, we did take delivery (FPU) in May and have not regretted our decision. We chose the NA over the DS primarily because of the luxury features available on the NA that were not options on the DS (ie Silverleaf). I think the negative posts are primarily from owners that have early builds. Also, owners without issues have less reason to post.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #4

Gal218, when did you order your New Aire? Did you order any special items?
Skyjockey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Newmar provided a product (New Aire) that the market was clamoring for. A short high end diesel. I also think they went above and beyond what people wanted with some nice features that the Dutch Star doesn't have.

With that said, I think they missed the mark on the drive train. I know this might offend the New Aire owners, but I live out west and tow a truck. Living where I do, I'm always looking for the most powerful engine I can find. I think they should have just offered a 34' in the Dutch Star line up.

I owned a 36' Diplomat with a 400ISL for ten years. My sister also owned a 34' Itasca Meridian with a Cat C-7. Both of these coaches were short, yet handled well on the full size platforms. They both had plenty of power.

Lastly, we all have different tastes, if we didn't, there would only be one size and style of motor home. Soooo, the New Aire may fit your needs perfectly. You have to be the judge of what you need in length, power and usability.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know this might offend the New Aire owners, but I live out west and tow a truck. Living where I do, I'm always looking for the most powerful engine I can find. I think they should have just offered a 34' in the Dutch Star line up.
Does not offend me there are times I would like to have the 450 ISL in the back of my NA.

With 10,000 miles of NA experience, primarily in the West, I guess I have as much experience as anyone in the NA climbing grades. The only time it would be nice to have more power is on grades above 4%. Up to 4% the NA will hold it's own with all the traffic. Obviously an NA will go down a grade with 360 HP just as fast as it would with 450 HP. So not having the additional power is only a factor going up the grade above 4%.

The real world implication of this limitation is interesting to consider. With our crowded interstate highways and all the truck traffic I have found the "pokey" nature of the NA going up 4+% grades is completely mitigated by getting trapped in the slow lane behind big rigs.

A few weeks ago I took my NA eastbound across on I70 crossing both Vail pass and the grade through the Eisenhower tunnels. Both grades in excess of 6% in some spots. There was so much traffic that there was really no opportunity to go faster than the slowest truck in the right lane. All the coaches, big engines and small, got to sit back and watch the scenery at 32 mph over the passes behind the trucks.

So it would be nice to have 450 HP in the NA. But given the additional weight and space required for that motor I am not sure it would be worth it. I think they would have a hard time hitting the 33'11" sweet spot with bigger motor.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Gal218, when did you order your New Aire? Did you order any special items?
We ordered in Late January with most of the available options plus 4 specials:
HDMI Front to back
London Aire Shower Head
Water Miser in shower
Extra 12v (center top of dash by windshield)
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Itís interesting to me that most consider the NA as a luxury line Newmar, and Iím not disagreeing, but yet Newmar doesnít classify it in that category. I have heard owners refer to the NA as a mini King Aire , but Iím not sure why KA and not LA or Essex. Why do you think that Newmar keeps it in the lineup where it is is? As far as base price NA and DS base price is the same.
As far as power goes, I believe that Turbo makes some very valid points.
I believe the DS is the winner in outside storage, but it is 3 feet longer.
Either one is a winner!
By the way I just learned that Entegra has now entered he NA market segment. Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

I believe Foretravel has a luxo mini to be released very soon also.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love our New Aire and would definitely buy it again.

It is so easy to drive because of the short length. I usually fill up at the auto pumps and have not had a problem maneuvering in tight spacesóthe 60 deg wheel cut is amazing.

The lack of horsepower going up hills is my only regret. Iíve learned to relax and enjoy the ride up the hills. We have a 13% grade near our home that I cross in 2nd gear at 25 mph. Hopefully future versions of the NA will have a bit more HP.

All other aspects of the NA are wonderful. The comfort level is beyond our expectations. The queen size bed may be an issue for some folks, but it works for us. The large shower surprised me. I thought they would sacrifice some space here to accommodate the short coach length. Nope, itís quite comfortable, Iím 6í tall.

The inside and basement storage is awesome. With every other endeavor in my life, Iím always looking for more storageónot in the NA. We have cabinets inside that we havenít used yet. Itís easy to keep things orderly because there are so many storage options.

Silverleaf, myRozie, 360 view, 6 outside cameras, and in motion WiFi are some of the electronics that we have come to rely on. I still fell very spoiled using this coach.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Another happy NADP owner chiming in. I was worried as well after reading some of the threads. Not to say that there aren't problems, but there are also problems with the other coaches and many of the New Aires with lots of problems were very early units. Also keep in mind the many many owners aren't on the IRV2 forum. As with any product, forums tend to amplify complaints. Owners that are satisfied generally don't talk about it, because there's nothing to talk about.

As Aegon mentioned, there are some very high end electronics on the New Aire and not available on the Dutch Star. Silverleaf is great and myRozie is fantastic, not to mention the WiFi ranger.

Despite not being in the "luxury coaches" on their website, NA owners share customer service with the King Aire owners and if it wasn't part of the luxury line, why is it an Aire, rather than a Star? (kidding)

Stewart - I agree that I would have liked more power. I came off a beast of a chassis with a pre-DEF Cat C-15 mated to a cat transmission. That was a damn dragster compared to this little ISB, but it has been adequate and I'd rather have had a larger fuel tank than a bigger engine.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
So I have been reading this thread and thinking: The base price of a NA and 37 foot DS are virtually the same. How much more money do you think it would take for Newmar to upgrade a 37 foot DS with the nice electronic components of the NA along with some of the upgraded interior features. Maybe make it a Dutch Star Limited, now you would have the bigger chassis, engine and transmission along with the other NA features, yes it would be 3 feet longer. Then I pretty much answered my own questions, Iím guessing this model would likely have an $80,000 to $100,000 retail increase, putting it pretty close to the $500,000 price point for a non tag Dutch Star. What do you think would you buy it?

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Or make it a 37 foot New Aire with a king size bed and larger night stands.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Or go with the 40' Mountain Aire. Newmar calls it a "Luxury" coach and it has 500 HP for those steep grades.

TJ