Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

DSDP?????????

Where do I go, but to the expertise of IRV2 people, right? Here we go. Thinking about buying a used 2007 DSDP. Pls give any kind of comment to firm my decision especially on expensive repairs. If DSDP is a no no, give me some good friendly advise. I already did my road test on this one compare to American coach 2006. Now that Newmar is leaving Spartan, is there any problem behind the scene? Pls be honest to me, I don't want to buy a lemon one because I don't have anymore budget to replace this just in case.Don't cover up any bad reviews. Tnx and happy easter Sunday.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARANATHA View Post
Where do I go, but to the expertise of IRV2 people, right? Here we go. Thinking about buying a used 2007 DSDP. Pls give any kind of comment to firm my decision especially on expensive repairs. If DSDP is a no no, give me some good friendly advise. I already did my road test on this one compare to American coach 2006. Now that Newmar is leaving Spartan, is there any problem behind the scene? Pls be honest to me, I don't want to buy a lemon one because I don't have anymore budget to replace this just in case.Don't cover up any bad reviews. Tnx and happy easter Sunday.
Are you sure about Newmar leaving Spartan???

The Dutchie owners on here will soon be telling you that it's a great coach!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I had a 2007 DSDP and the only common problem was sometimes the side walls on the darker painted coaches would not remain smooth as there was a defect in the sidewall material. Newmar fixed the unevenness and repainted my coach.

Just curious, what model/floorplan are you looking at?

Newmar is not leaving Spartan, they just switched to Freightliner on the non-highend coaches.

There was also a Cummins engine problem back then that affected some coaches. Mine was built after the problem was fixed.

Here's the details.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to Newmar and possibly the family.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for that year and down in my signature below there are three links that will relate to the Newmar coach.
Good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have an 06 EXDP and get regular emails from Spartan about service specials and updates.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

I have an 07 DSDP. Love the Cummins ISL, the Spartan chassis, and especially, the tag axle. Would buy it again in a heartbeat. Just like others have said, do your homework on known issues or recalls.

HoboBob

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar recalls can be found in this stickie top of forum, plus everything Newmar.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a DSDP and have been very happy with it. I take care of the maintenance and it has taken care of me as well. I did a lot of homework before I bought mine and it has lived up to the Newmar reputation.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

2007 dsdp

We have a 2008 Dutch Star and more than love it! Only concern I would have with a 2007 is whether or not it has Comfort Steering. If not I suggest you test drive one with CS and then I don't think you would settle for anything without it. I may be wrong but don't believe any of the 2007's had it. At any rate, hope you join the Newmar family as they are the best!
19481955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The 2007 DSDP did not have Comfort Drive. The DSDP did not get it until 2008.

In 2007 only MADP and above had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19481955 View Post
We have a 2008 Dutch Star and more than love it! Only concern I would have with a 2007 is whether or not it has Comfort Steering. If not I suggest you test drive one with CS and then I don't think you would settle for anything without it. I may be wrong but don't believe any of the 2007's had it. At any rate, hope you join the Newmar family as they are the best!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #11

Thank you for all replies but still waiting for more.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
MARANATHA,
Some 2007 motorhomes (not a Newmar issue, the supply to a number of RV manufacturers was bad) had an issue with checking. Look at the dark painted fiberglass, if you see spiderwebs, cracking, etc. that is the checking problem. It can't be cleaned or repainted, the fiberglass has to be replaced. It is not a structural problem, but will become more noticeable with age. You never said how many miles are on it. Too few miles on a diesel are just as bad as too many. Also see if they have maintenance records that will tell you a lot on how it was cared for. The last thing is to get the VIN and call Newmar they'll tell you the history of the coach. Good luck with your decision, I love the way Newmar stands behind their product.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #13

Fiberglass Checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
MARANATHA,
Some 2007 motorhomes (not a Newmar issue, the supply to a number of RV manufacturers was bad) had an issue with checking. Look at the dark painted fiberglass, if you see spiderwebs, cracking, etc. that is the checking problem. It can't be cleaned or repainted, the fiberglass has to be replaced. It is not a structural problem, but will become more noticeable with age. You never said how many miles are on it. Too few miles on a diesel are just as bad as too many. Also see if they have maintenance records that will tell you a lot on how it was cared for. The last thing is to get the VIN and call Newmar they'll tell you the history of the coach. Good luck with your decision, I love the way Newmar stands behind their product.
Are u telling me not to buy if there is spiderwebs/cracks etc on the fiberglass because it's not repaintable? And how much do you think to replace. Is there any newmar warranty on those type of problem. The unit is 45K miles. I'm a little bit scared. If I switch to a different brand like Monaco or Fleetwood or thor or any brand, is checking can be avoided? Pls help me. I'm not aware of this checking problem. Once again thank you.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All MFG's ran into same problem during that time period.
If you know the Vin# or coach build number you can call Newmar to check and see if they ever did change out the side walls because of the checking problem.