Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your photo (I presume it's a photo) is not showing.

Go to reply to thread and hit the paperclip icon and there you can upload your photo(s).
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #16

I would be sure the VIN, Tranny, and anything else on that rig that could be registered as stolen was sent out in notifications right away. First time the bad guys have a problem with it all kinds of alerts should be triggered by any work to be done.

It might not be a full proof step but it would severely complicated life for those scum bags.
keepmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Well, it hasn't rained in over a month so we qualify as a desert! I'll be on the lookout. Thanks Newmarpusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
You ever watch Breaking Bad? It's probably a meth lab in the middle of the desert somewhere by now.
Farmer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #18

Found!

Early in the day yesterday I was talking to State Farm about the components and appliances on the unit and they were getting ready to cut me a check.

Then I got a call from an Alaska State Trooper two hours later saying he found my DSDP. It was in the woods in a rural area a couple hours north of Anchorage and he said it appeared that someone was living in it.

He wanted me to get up there right away to pick it up but I was busy at work so I asked him to just have it towed to a secure lot. The tow guy then called and said he couldn't tow it as it was locked and the slide was out. The trooper left and now the bad guy is probably back in it, since it appeared he was unaware that it was found.

I'm going to head up there Friday maybe and the trooper said he would meet me a few miles away and we would go in together. Maybe I'll be on the show "Alaska State Troopers!" Haha.

State Farm said that they will restore it, so maybe it'll spend a couple months getting refitted over the winter, although I don't know the condition yet.
la2jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #19

Since there is a video how long did it take for them to drive off without a key?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Since there is a video how long did it take for them to drive off without a key?
It took no time at all during the theft, in fact he walked right up to it, opened the unlocked door and drove off. But I contend that he had spent some time earlier setting things up. The airport management could only devote enough time to finding the video segment when it drove off and they were unable to watch two weeks of video to find someone walking in earlier.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #21

most ignition keys in RV's are very easy to pick. there is a master key to the door lock for most common rv doors. the dead bolt is the hardest to get past but still only minute or so to get past buy a skilled locksmith, repo man, or unfortunately a thief..

glad they found it, hope you get it put back in one piece.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #22

That is so just so completely ignorant, or ballsey! It's not like something like that is just going to blend in with the background......

And the poor tow truck operator - who's been forced into a rather precarious position. He's shown up on site, ready to tow a motorhome, while somebody stupid or ballesy enough to steal it, is running around loose?

Why has this person not been arrested? You have the coach serial number, the deputy was there on site and identified your stolen property, what's he waiting for? Why is he not seeking to arrest this guy with a little more gusto?

Something seems out of place. Doesn't add up....
Old 10-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #23

you need to call a locksmith and get him to coordinate with the heavy towtruck driver to go get it in the am with the hwy patrol, do not let it sit. it may relocate on you. Do not be afraid to through $ around to get it done remember state farm is picking up the bill. how far is the rv from where you live?

if none of those guys have the stones to get it done PM me I will find a local repo man that can make it happen
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #24

Hope they aren't using it for a meth lab
Windsport57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't expect that your insurance company will pick up all expenses, especially if they see you aren't mitigating your damages. Get it out a.s.a.p.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #26

I talked to the trooper again yesterday. Apparently the thieves paid the property owner $100 to park it on her property for a couple months. The thieves are only there a few times/week and it's not important enough for a stakeout. The thieves contact with the property owner has been through a "friend of a friend."

I have been working closely with State Farm as to how I should handle this and I think I will go in tomorrow with the trooper and try to drive it off. If I can't, I hope I can at least pull the slide in and help get it set up for a tow. I hope there is some fuel in it and the batteries aren't dead.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Bring fuel with you and be prepared to jump the batteries.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2jax View Post
I talked to the trooper again yesterday. Apparently the thieves paid the property owner $100 to park it on her property for a couple months. The thieves are only there a few times/week and it's not important enough for a stakeout. The thieves contact with the property owner has been through a "friend of a friend."

I have been working closely with State Farm as to how I should handle this and I think I will go in tomorrow with the trooper and try to drive it off. If I can't, I hope I can at least pull the slide in and help get it set up for a tow. I hope there is some fuel in it and the batteries aren't dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
Bring fuel with you and be prepared to jump the batteries.
I think the best way is to give the keys to the troopers and have them open it up and do a complete sweep for anything dangerous. Shouldn't need a search warrant since it's a stolen coach and you gave them permission plus if the property owner objects they could be arrested for receiving stolen property.

Once the coach has been cleared ware gloves, the police will give you some, and see if the batteries are good, it has fuel and if it will start. If you have a tow truck driver there they can always jump the battery if it's dead. If it still won't run they it's time for a big rig and tow it out.

No matter if you can drive it or it's towed you want it to go to the crime lab to take prints and to make sure there are no drugs in the coach. Also, have a letter from the chief of police that this coach was recovered after being stolen. This give you something to work with if someone decides to do a dog sniff and the dog hits and they find something that was missed.

Lastly have a professional cleaning service go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it's spotless. Also, have a full mechanical, electrical and drive train check so you know all of that's solid. You want it returned to you in as good a condition is was when stolen and maybe even better if you're lucky.

I don't see why your insurance shouldn't cover all of these costs rather than pay for another coach. Total cost for everything, assuming no major issues, should be well under 10K.

One last thing, if meth or anything like that was made in the coach then push to have it totaled. You'll never be able to clean that up completely.