Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am trying to figure out how I can get the wires connected to the DTV converter box and my TV in my sealed up cherry cabinetry? Is there an access panel that I am not aware of?

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire MACA 3781

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, r0n :confused

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am trying to figure out how I can get the wires connected to the DTV converter box and my TV in my sealed up cherry cabinetry? Is there an access panel that I am not aware of?

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire MACA 3781

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, r0n :confused

2004 MACA3781
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron,
It looks like you have the same setup as me.
At a high level, not knowing what else (sat receiver(s), etc.) you may have:

For the rear TV the converter box goes back by the TV and hooks into the wall outlet.

For the front TV the converter box hooks up to the distribution box. The connection is the one that goes out to the main TV.

There is no room for my converter box in the same location as the distribution box. I have enough room, way in the back (toward the front of the coach) to snake the wires from the disctibution box to the converter box. The converter box ix on another shelf. If you have no way to do this, then it may be drill a hole time. A hole saw should to the trick.

If you have a Sat receiver(s), get a converter box(s) with the pass through feature.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary, thanks for the information. I can not believe the pictures I posted are that big. I think I need some format training on posting. My real question is how do I get to the rear of t my Distribution Box in the Front of the MH to connect the converter box? ?

r0n

2004 MACA3781
Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I need some format training on posting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything you wanted to know about photo posting is HERE.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dirk, thanks a lot for the picture resizing info it really works great and has saved me a lot of work by downloading that tool from Microsoft. Now if I could only find a way to access the wires on the back of my distribution box?

r0n.....

2004 MACA3781
Old 10-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #7

Has anyone attempted to wire a DTV converter with the Winegard switch box and DishTV?

I have two coupons on the way and would like to wire into my system.....like Ron, I too will have problems with space and also heat in the front compartments......

In our last MA I added two 12v computer fans that helped....but did not solve the heat problems we have here in FL.

Thanks - Bill
Bpsailr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron,
1. Pull the distribution box out of the cabinet.
2. Disconnect the "To Main TV" lead.
3. Attach a female/female connector to the main TV cable.
4. Run a wire, of suitable length, to where the converter box will be placed. From your photo it looks like it can go on the shelf under the distribution box.
5. Run the wire to where the converter box will be placed and connect it to the "Out To TV" terminal on the converter box.
6. Connect a new wire to the "To Main TV" on the distribution box. Run the wire to the place the converter box will be placed.
7. Connect the wire to the antenna in connector on the converter box.
8. Plug the converter box into a 110V receptacle.

For Bill,
I have the same situation as you (just Direct TV not Dish). The process should be the same.

1a. In the above mentione process, step 6 is where there is additional steps.

2a. In step six, I used a splitter and and 2 additional wires.
3a. Connect a new wire to the distribution panel "To Main TV".
4a. Using the splitter, connect one leg to the wire you just connected.
5a. Connect the other leg to a new wire that will go to the Sat receiver "Out To TV" connection.
6a. Connect the next wire from the final splitter connection to the converter box.

Now you have two inputs to the converter. One from the distribution box and one from the Sat Rec.

In this configuration my converter box must be off and the Sat receiver on to watch Sat TV. My Sat receiver must be off to and my converter box on to watch off air digital TV.

In the Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. forum there are several threads on this topic.

The basic thing to remember is the converter box must be installed between the TV and the distribution box. Do not install the converter box between the antenna and the distribution box.

I got a converter box with the pass through feature. The pass through feature allows the converter box to pass analog signals to the TV. This may be why the setup mentioned above works for me. The Sat receiver is sendnig analog signals to the TV through the converter box.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #9

Gary,
I am using the Wineguard DTV converter with the pass through feature. When on standby (red light) I can watch satellite (DTV). When powered (green light) I watch off the antenna. Wineguard told me they added this feature specifically for rigs with satellite. Didn't need any kind of splitter.

Gary in CT
'07 VTDP
weinerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary,
Could you help me understand how all the wires are connected, with your setup? I'd love to eliminate wires and "stuff" from that A/V cabinet.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might find this info helpful...it discusses the Wineguard box...go HERE

Also check HERE too.

And this could help you too... Click This
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #12

Gary,
the cable that was running from the distribution box to the front tv now goes from the dtv converter to the tv. the cable that came with the converter goes from the converter to the distribution box where the tv cable came out of. plug the converter in. when not powered it has no effect on any selection from your distribution box. when powered you switch over to the remote that comes with the converter to control tv stations, volume, etc.
really that simple - if it wasn't I wouldn't have been able to wire it...

Gary in CT
weinerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,
Thanks, I never though to hook it up the way you described.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE

I solved my problem by getting a step stool, flash light and some stronger reading glasses. Up over the Distribution Box behind the cabinet and hinge are two black screws that match perfectly with the black plastic plate that is around the VCR and D BOX. I had to pull the D BOX down by hand then barely get the screwdriver between them to loosen the screws then pry out the plastic insert, pull the velcro D BOX from the top of the VCR.

Now I will study all the great info for the actual installation.

Thanks again, r0n

2004 MACA3781