Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Dual-side cargo tray; has anyone split one?

I tried to get Newmar to install a pair of single-side cargo trays back to back in the MADP 4047 that's on order, but was told they can't do that because two won't fit. We have a dual-side cargo tray ordered instead. Just wondering if anyone has explored the possibility of cutting one in half...or, 60/40...to create a pair of single-side trays?

The issue I'm trying to resolve is the height restriction of cargo posed by the frame rails. I do have a well-equipped metalworking shop at my disposal.

Thoughts?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Jim you can order slide kits and make them any size you want. I have the same issue. I have a 2018 DS 4369 on order. I asked for two trays back to back and they said no because they are too long. I waited too long then tried to cancel the full slide tray. Newmar said no more changes. I was going to order two trays and install myself. Instead I m going to build a shelf on the drivers side over the slide tray so I can maximize the storage.
MNawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I tried to get Newmar to install a pair of single-side cargo trays back to back in the MADP 4047 that's on order, but was told they can't do that because two won't fit. We have a dual-side cargo tray ordered instead. Just wondering if anyone has explored the possibility of cutting one in half...or, 60/40...to create a pair of single-side trays?

The issue I'm trying to resolve is the height restriction of cargo posed by the frame rails. I do have a well-equipped metalworking shop at my disposal.

Thoughts?

TJ

I left out the double pass through because of the height restrictions, things slide very easy on the carpeted floor. I have heard of some people putting another1/2 tray in its place.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

I assume Newmar will install 2 half trays on the passenger side? Can you then get service to install the right size on the driver side?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I am hoping that the dual-side tray is constructed in such a way that it can be divided. Might have to use new slide hardware, but the pan itself should be a mechanical structure that can be divided. Hoping someone has tackled this project before so that I can take advantage of their experience. Otherwise, I'm comfortable breaking a fresh trail.

Won't have the coach in hand until June, so can't do a hands-on evaluation right now. And, I'm kinda bored. Had abdominal surgery last week (it went well) and am on restricted mobility right now. I don't like just sitting around, so am trying to do some "advance engineering."

TJ
Old 02-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
I assume Newmar will install 2 half trays on the passenger side? Can you then get service to install the right size on the driver side?
Might be a possibility; I'll have to check on that. I suppose I could have a custom-sized tray built for the driver side. I'm right on the cusp of not being able to make any further changes in our order, so it may be a moot point.

TJ
Old 02-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I am hoping that the dual-side tray is constructed in such a way that it can be divided. Might have to use new slide hardware, but the pan itself should be a mechanical structure that can be divided. Hoping someone has tackled this project before so that I can take advantage of their experience. Otherwise, I'm comfortable breaking a fresh trail.

Won't have the coach in hand until June, so can't do a hands-on evaluation right now. And, I'm kinda bored. Had abdominal surgery last week (it went well) and am on restricted mobility right now. I don't like just sitting around, so am trying to do some "advance engineering."

TJ
I have a full length (driver to passenger) tray. Other than possibly needing more rollers and adding stops on the 2 (split) trays, can't think of a reason you couldn't split it.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That's encouraging. Thanks.

TJ
Old 02-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting idea. I hate my full'width tray due to the frame rails And worse on mine because stiff ducting for the built in vacuum system hang down below the frame rails there...

Ill have to take a look at mine to see if easily slitable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Interesting idea. I hate my full'width tray due to the frame rails And worse on mine because stiff ducting for the built in vacuum system hang down below the frame rails there...

Not crazy about ours but I typically stack containers that just fit under the rails on the driver side. These containers have the least used items.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:

I bent the two unused bottom mounting tabs on my vac up. Saved an inch of clearance on my 4369.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I bent the two unused bottom mounting tabs on my vac up. Saved an inch of clearance on my 4369.
I've already crawled in there and moved up anything as far as possible. Still lose another 3-4" under the frame rails. )-:

I really like the idea of splitting the existing tray.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:51 AM   #13

Quote:
I've already crawled in there and moved up anything as far as possible. Still lose another 3-4" under the frame rails. )-:

I really like the idea of splitting the existing tray.

You could always cut some big notches in the frame rails
Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You could always cut some big notches in the frame rails
Good idea. Maybe just cut out about 5-6' completely. Those frame rails are really long so a few feet less shouldn't matter. (-: