Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Dual Slow Roll Shade Tension Adjustment

Hi Everyone,

Need some help. I have a 2015 Newmar Bay Star 3308 Gas. My interior shades are the dual day/night slow roll manual shades. I had a spring break and spend 85.00 to get one from Newmar. Had to take both shades out of the metal bracket and replace the spring in the night shade. Now both don't have any tension. Anyone know how to adjust the tension. Also, anyone know who Newmar's supplier is for the shades? One of my metal brackets that holds the shade assembly to the wall is about to die. Thanks in advance for all your support in this matter. Sincerely, Ed
edegenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #2

Not sure what brand Newmar used in your coach but one common brand is MCD. On those there is an adjustment on each end, one for how high the shade goes up and the other is the spring tension. You push in the screw adjustment then turn as needed. When you think you have it right you have to let the screw push out as you slowly let it unwind until it pops all the way out.

If you go to the MCD web site you can get instructions. If not MCD other brands may be similar.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2014 CSCA has Auto-Motion dual roller shades, which may be what's in your coach. Attached instructions are for adjusting the roller springs. Be careful not to put TOO much tension on the roller springs as they will break. We have had six of them do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shades.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	267118  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #4

they may be the dual slow rise shades manufactured by irvine blinds and shades in elkhart, IN. ours are. go to their website to check. there are instructions on how to adjust. also there have been many posts about them replacing brackets for free.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, the spring assembly comes out as one piece, at least the MCD versions do. Identify which brand you have and buy those parts from the manufacturer. Some things you can only buy from Newmar, but the shade parts are common and are much cheaper form the manufacturer. MCD has set me the internal spring assemblies for free.

With all that said, MCD's in mine, use the same internal assembly for several sizes of window shades. As an example, 15" - 25" wide shade uses an 18" internal mechanism, a 25" - 35" uses and 28" internal mechanism. I noted all my lengths and found that four internal mechanisms covered all of my coach shades, so I ordered one of each and carry them as a spare. I think the other brands, like In Motion use similar mechanisms.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This link should help you.
Its found in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #7

Thanks for the help on Day/Night Manual Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by edegenhart View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need some help. I have a 2015 Newmar Bay Star 3308 Gas. My interior shades are the dual day/night slow roll manual shades. I had a spring break and spend 85.00 to get one from Newmar. Had to take both shades out of the metal bracket and replace the spring in the night shade. Now both don't have any tension. Anyone know how to adjust the tension. Also, anyone know who Newmar's supplier is for the shades? One of my metal brackets that holds the shade assembly to the wall is about to die. Thanks in advance for all your support in this matter. Sincerely, Ed
In talking to Newmar Parts I was advised that the manufacturer is Auto-Motion in Ontario, Canada. I called Auto-Motion Customer Service and was advised the tension on the shade can be adjusted by either roller at the end of the shade assembly by turning it 22 turns clockwise. I removed the shade from the bracket to inspect the internals again and found the other end of the shade from the spring had a damaged part as well. I sent the photo of the part to Auto-Motion to get it identified with a P/N so I can replace it and as well the spring clamps that hold the shade assembly in place. Automotion Contact Info:
Tel: 1 (905) 470-6198
Email: info@automotionshade.com

For anyone whom has a Newmar Bay Star, Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ed
edegenhart is offline   Reply With Quote