RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Dumping air bags/courtesy lights.

Just took delivery on a 2017 Ventana Le 4037, which I purchased from an estate.

Trying to figure out how all works. I have several concerns.

I have a garage door which is supposedly 13 foot door. But again it may be 12 foot 10 inches or 12/11 inches.

To be safe in pulling into the garage how can I dump some air from the bags to get the coach down 2 inches? If there is not away to do so could i set coach level 1 inch lower?

How do I dump air from bags at the camp site so the lower step is closer to the ground?

On the dash counsel is a switch courtesy lamps. I turn it on nothing comes on.

Entrance steps will retract when the door is closed at the camp site. Is there a way steps can be kept out even with door closed?

Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

Don't know if you can dump the air and move the unit.

Steps, on my coach there is a switch in the overhead cabinet that turns the steps off once you open the door to extend them.

Courtesy lights are on the wall near the floor, on my coach there's also a switch to operate them by the vanity sink on the bedroom wall. It's possible that needs to get turned on.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
One of the major concerns with moving the coach when the air bags have been dumped is that there is very little clearance between the tires and the sidewall wheel cutouts. A small turn of the steering wheel could result in some significant damage.

As I recall, our 2014 Ventana LE had a 12'8" vertical height at full suspension height. Some careful measurement might reveal that you have clearance for the garage door. If not, you might explore the option of raising the door opening slightly. In some cases, it can be done and you could gain a few inches.

TJ
Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
One of the major concerns with moving the coach when the air bags have been dumped is that there is very little clearance between the tires and the sidewall wheel cutouts. A small turn of the steering wheel could result in some significant damage.

As I recall, our 2014 Ventana LE had a 12'8" vertical height at full suspension height. Some careful measurement might reveal that you have clearance for the garage door. If not, you might explore the option of raising the door opening slightly. In some cases, it can be done and you could gain a few inches.

TJ
Even if you do have the vertical height you need be sure the approach into the garage won't cause the coach to raise more than then height of the entry
Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
Even if you do have the vertical height you need be sure the approach into the garage won't cause the coach to raise more than then height of the entry
Measure the height of your unit. Use a step ladder, a 2 x 4, a level and a tape measure. I'm sure you and a helper can figure it out. Then go measure your door. THEN worry about how to clear it. As for the step. get a single portable step.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

Could I partially dump

Could I partially dump some air from the bags? If I pump the brakes will it cause the bags to drop down an inch? Could I set ride height an inch lower?
Is there a switch on the dash to lower the bags?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The problem with dumping air, is that with the engine running it will be inflating the air bags. Steering will be very limited.

On my DS the courtesy lights are small floor lights that light up the walkway in the MH.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Measure the door very carefully and the coach as well. A couple inches is all you need if you are going slow and the way is level. We have 6" clearance on the stacker but I move it very slowly so there is no "bounce" when crossing the threshold.

Increase the height of the door if at all possible. Going to be the one time you forget to lower the air and ta da!!

Not sure about the courtesy light.

On our coach the air is dumped when we do the leveling process. I use manual leveling 99% of the time. Using auto level leaves our coach 4 - 5 inches higher than manual.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #9

Where is the dump switch

Where is the dump switch on this coach?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the HWH levelers it will be on the control for them.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #11

Jacks

My coach has the equalizer system for jacks.

Is there another way to dump air from bags?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
My coach has the equalizer system for jacks.

Is there another way to dump air from bags?
When you activate you jack system the coach will automatically dump the suspension air. If your controls are anything like mine there is not a specific switch to just dump the air.

I would be shocked if your aired up ride height is over 12' 10".
Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Measure the height of your unit. Use a step ladder, a 2 x 4, a level and a tape measure. I'm sure you and a helper can figure it out. Then go measure your door. THEN worry about how to clear it. As for the step. get a single portable step.
I have a 6' level and carefully measured my exact height. If you are looking for a short cut to see if your coach will fit there could be another way. Find a young fit individual to ride on the ladder to watch your clearance while you slowly pull into the building. You will need speaker phones or a third person for a spotter.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #14

See the provided link and go to floor plan specs and you will see that the overall height on your unit is under 13 feet. You coach is not designed to travel under the factory setting as stated above. The best way to tackle this problem is to have a contractor remove the existing door, reset the doors header height to 14 feet if u have room, can use the existing header, may even be able to use old door if you can add just one new panel to the roll up door depending on design of door. Just a small remodel of your storage door

https://www.newmarcorp.com/diesel-mo...a/coach-specs/

Tags
air, light, lights