Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #1

Durability of Dark Colored Newmar Paints?

Trying to make final decisions on exterior colors for the 4369 DS we have ordered. Essentially for us it comes down either a nearly black (or very dark) skin color or something substantially lighter (silver). Esthetically we like the darker color the best, but we are afraid of fading/cracking (and maybe even heat buildup) down the road. The coach will frequently be garaged for now, but who knows a few years from now. What are your perspectives?
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

I have a very dark colored burgundy coach that is 10 years plus old - the color hasn't faded and it still looks better to me than most of the new light colored coaches. It is a Dutch Star. Newmar paint is excellent - think of it like this. What do you think about Black cars versus other colors? To, me I haven't seen modern cars painted black look any worse. I do have a white coach roof though - so it might make a difference in heat - but if you have the polar pak insulation option I would think that it would be minor.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
No issues with the dark colors on my '07 KSDP, but do have problems with the clear coat on the front cap, and roof rails.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
No issues with the dark colors on my '07 KSDP, but do have problems with the clear coat on the front cap, and roof rails.
Do you have any solutions for protecting or extending the life of the clear coat? I had to have that area re-done on my previous coach, an Itasca Meridian, after about 3-4 years and it was badly needing it again when I traded it off at 11 years.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahipskind View Post
Trying to make final decisions on exterior colors for the 4369 DS we have ordered. Essentially for us it comes down either a nearly black (or very dark) skin color or something substantially lighter (silver). Esthetically we like the darker color the best, but we are afraid of fading/cracking (and maybe even heat buildup) down the road. The coach will frequently be garaged for now, but who knows a few years from now. What are your perspectives?
I have been wrestling with this same issue on ordering a Ventana. Since the Newmar paint is an automotive base/clear coat, I would expect the same life as that on a car. By looking at cars, it is apparent that the dark colors definitely cook the clear coat. Many dark cars have premature peeling. Just placing your hand on a dark color vs a light color you can feel a huge temperature difference. Not sure why Newmar doesn't give customers a choice of lighter colors. I was told lighter colors can be ordered as a special. Unfortunately, that just adds additional cost to the customer while the cost of the paints to Newmar remains the same.
dp7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

I too am a fan of the dark but I wouldn't choose a dark paint scheme in a coach. We do too much HOT weather camping. I can't speak to weather or not the dark paint ages out quicker or not. Frankly I've never seen a modern coach by Newmar that I didn't like as far as paint schemes.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I spoil the fun fest. The black along the roof of my 2014 went bad in two years. It checkered and cracked in two spots in an area about 6' long. After doing some battling with Newmar, we settled.

Newmar wanted me to drive from California to Indiana in the winter (only time they would do the work) on my dime and they would do the repair.

I decided to have the entire roof line repainted in white (one of my body colors). I had the shop give me two quotes. One for the repair only and one for the entire job. I submitted the repair only bill to Newmar, $2300.00. They agreed to pay $1500.00 after some mediation by my dealer.

Personally, I'm not impressed by Newmar's paint on my coach. In 2014, their high end paint jobs started at the Mountain Aire level and above. I believe it wasn't until 2017 that they brought that paint job down to the Dutch Star level. My coach has hardly any clear and what there is of it is full of scratches and swirls, not done by me. When the paint shop did my roof line, the owner called to tell me that the clear coat looked terrible and it wasn't something they had done. I told him it came that way. He said they could probably correct some of it, but since the clear was so thin, they might burn through it.

There are two really disappointing things about my coach, one is the paint job. I'm one of those that washes my coach every trip and waxes it at least 3-4 times a year. No matter what I do, I can only marginally make this coach look nice.....very disappointing. The other issue is how the front door closes. I know they've fixed the paint, but I wouldn't buy another until the door is redesigned to close without slamming it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Do you have any solutions for protecting or extending the life of the clear coat? I had to have that area re-done on my previous coach, an Itasca Meridian, after about 3-4 years and it was badly needing it again when I traded it off at 11 years.

No, And I was hoping for suggestions as well. My coach has the chamois, or tan cap and roof rails. So they are not "dark". The cranberry and darker brown are holding up pretty well.

I have the feeling that the previous owner spend a lot of time outside, if not full time, and maybe on a beach. My clearcoat failed on the top cap, and the passenger side roof rail. Driver side and rear cap are still fine.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #9

In 2017 they have added a cut and buff but does that mean it has as many clear coats as at least the Mtn Aire? I would assume not but I have not asked. Maybe 1 more than previous?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Personally from owning three painted RV's over the years, Newmar has the absolute worst quality clearcoat compared to Gulfstream and Winnebago on the DS on down 2016 and older. I don't know about the 2017 DS since they are using the same upper level paint jobs as the higher lines now.

They try to cover their butts with detailed washing instructions to use only baby shampoo and lambs wool but the fact is their clearcoat is thin and soft compared to the other brands I've owned and any automobile I've had in the last 20 years.

It's a disgrace on an otherwise superior coach. Nearly impossible to avoid visible swirls on dark colors.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #11

Can any paint experts here tell me if it is possible for a good paint shop to add clear coat before the original clear coat wears through? I know from nothing about painting a vehicle and how the base paint and clear coat mashes.

Before I knew it the clear coat on my 2004 Itasca Meridian had started disappearing and showing a very dull paint through when the coach was about 3 years old. Winnebago agreed to repaint both end caps and the side rails for free and also paid my travel expenses one way. Seems Newmar should do something like this for their customers if they intend on getting any return sales, which the jury is still out in my situation. I thought I was getting the cream of the crop when I dropped my first Winnebago to trade for the Newmar, but from Dutch Star Don's experience I must have actually down-graded instead.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:16 AM   #12

I would stay away from dark colors. The dark colors get much hotter than the lighter ones. That heat will break down the clear coat and paint faster than on lighter colors. I saw that not only on my coach, but it has been shown to happen on cars that have dark colors. Of course, the better care you take of it and the more it is under cover, the longer the paint will last. But I would avoid them.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have two issues with the dark colors. One, they will absorb a lot more heat. Two, they will look dirty 10 minutes after you finish cleaning them. For These reasons we've stuck with the lighter colors and we get compliments all the time, I suspect in part because they are a relatively rare sight in the RV park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New coach.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	144417  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If I were to buy another Dutch Star, I would custom order the colors. There would be no dark colors or gray/silver colors. These all have issues at some point. The only place I would allow anything dark, like a brown or maroon, would be down low along the doors where it is out of the sun and easy to maintain.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, paint