Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 11:39 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi 2014-3585RL,
Based on your posts, consider the MADP. The NCC is between 9-10K. It depends on the chassis and model chosen. You will need to visit the Newmar plant or a dealer with the floor plan you are considering. Pay careful attention to the basement storage compartments. If possible see if you can get the axle weights as the coach comes from the factory. This will provide a good idea of where cargo should be placed, in the basement. All this will help with your decision.

Turning should not be a problem. The pivot point is different for a coach and a truck. The trailer will cut inside the rear drive axle, but not by much. This is because the trailer will swing to the opposite direction of the turn before it begins to follow the coach.
And beware of the NCC figures!! When we ordered our '02 DSDP the NCC was 5,300#'s so I wasn't worried about the weight. We didn't order the real tile floor, washer/dryer combo and other weight adding extras. At delivery I was somewhat upset to find the rig had on 663#'s of CCC and ALL of that was on the rear axle as the front was overweight if we filled the fuel and propane tanks. Then when we added our stuff and got aboard it only got worse. To Newmars credit they did eventually have Spartan replace the 12,000# front axle with a new 14,600# unit.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Al, having moved from a Heartland product to a MADP, I can tell you the difference in build quality and durability is like night and day. No more chaotic mess behind the basement wall, cabinets that want to fall off their hinges, wiring that has no sense of organization. I'm not knocking Heartland at all. It's just the state of the RV industry at that price point. You will be stepping out of something made to be cheap and light weight into a sea worthy vessel. You might consider something lightly used and go with the higher end. It will have the nuts and bolts you're looking for.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 2014-3585RL,
As to the discount from MSRP, that is really difficult to answer. There are too many things going on behind the scenes that can raise or lower the discount. Things like:
1. Does the dealer "need" to sell the coach?
2. Is Newmar providing assistance to the dealer on the coach you are considering?
3. Time of year (an example is year end model closeout).
4. Clean deal or trade in.
5. Buying off the lot or ordering from the factory? A factory order should cost less. But how long are you willing to wait?
My personal experience is the old end of the month story. On August 31, 2005 the dealer calls saying if we buy today they will do my deal. (33% off MSRP). Drove 216 (round trip) miles to the dealer signed the deal and provided a deposit. The coach was on the lot.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #18

Gary hit the nail on the head, there are just so many variables on pricing.

I second the vote for a well kept used unit. You will know right away if the coach has been cared for.
Second recommendation would be to take advantage of your US exchange rate and come to Canada for a coach.

These prices are not with a discount or exchange rate considered - Its all money in your pocket!

Newmar - Mountain Aire 4553 | VR St-Cyr
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #19

More thank you.
I expect lots of variance just never shopped for such an expensive car. Ok, it is very clear there are major differences in construction and finance. We will need to trade our current units as this ,for now, is primarily for work. We bave been having service at Transwest and certainly consider them for purchase. Still 20-30k diiference in price warrants consideration also.
One of my consideration regarding weight was the result of the gen, washer and dryer using up most of our capacity leaving little to no capacity for other items. I just can't make that kind of misake again. A DSDP would be at or above capacity most of the time and subjecting us to potental issues that a heavier chassis might avoid.
I wonder how important the 5 year warranty to the original owner would prove to be, vs a few year older MA or LondonAire?
Any other insights are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Al
Old 03-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
My personal experience is the old end of the month story. On August 31, 2005 the dealer calls saying if we buy today they will do my deal. (33% off MSRP). Drove 216 (round trip) miles to the dealer signed the deal and provided a deposit. The coach was on the lot.
That was a good deal although we did have a dealer give us a little better on a year old model, then the wife backed out and said no the next morning before we signed the contract.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sure why you think you would be at capacity. I know they had an issue with the front axle on the 2016 DSDP, but I thought they came to a resolution. Even then they were well under the GVWR. I carry everything I want in my MADP, including a large tool box and a lot of tools. All of my bays are full. I had the corners weighed while fully loaded with water and fuel, and I am under by nearly 1000 on the front axle and 4800 overall.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 2014-3585RL,
When considering a preowned luxury coach determine if the technology controlled bells and whistles are serviceable. Technology gets old very fast. Some of these companies quickly forget what they made just a few years ago. Some go out of business. Replacing technology in a motor coach is difficult and expensive.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #23

Gary,
Nice to have met you earlier this month at the factory. Another thing to consider fof sure, all those touch pad light switches. Your comments helped spark this string. We are are capacity with the Bighorn, truck is 10,000 under GCVR. Will continuethe discovery , we will be taking a DS out next week for a ride.
Al
Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

Scotty,
We had to strip down our weight in our Bighorn and are still at capacity. I scale periodically usually 6200 each trailer axle and 4100 king pin.trailer gvwr is 15500. Recently we have blown 2 225/70/19.5 tires rated at 4000 lbs per. Tires still had 6 /32 remaining. Wife would like to have painting supplies, spinning wheel bikes wth us. Based on experience excsss capacity does not ensure fewer problems, I can hope it might help.
I do ok with big stuff judgeing weight but all those little things add up quickly.
Again i am greatful for the experience being shared here it really helps.
Al
Old 03-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
One issue when one drives like 40K a year is to make sure to lub. drive shaft. It can be a little work on tag axle coaches but Spartan at the last FMCA seminar is suggesting every 5K miles on drive line. We have been traveling 25K miles for the last 4 years on our Essex and I am now caring a grease gun with me when we go to Alaska and other 10K trips. Last time at Spartan there was coach in with 1500$ of drive shaft repairs.

Tom, thanks for sharing the need to lube the driveshaft @ 5k miles. I had no idea. Pardon my ignorance but where are the grease points? Planning on going up to AK this summer.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #26

On rvt.com there is a Newmar 04 Essex for sale on a Spartan chassis that has 379,000 miles which would be a great indication that both Newmar and Spartan good for the long haul.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014-3585RL View Post
Scotty,
We had to strip down our weight in our Bighorn and are still at capacity. I scale periodically usually 6200 each trailer axle and 4100 king pin.trailer gvwr is 15500. Recently we have blown 2 225/70/19.5 tires rated at 4000 lbs per. Tires still had 6 /32 remaining. Wife would like to have painting supplies, spinning wheel bikes wth us. Based on experience excsss capacity does not ensure fewer problems, I can hope it might help.
I do ok with big stuff judgeing weight but all those little things add up quickly.
Again i am greatful for the experience being shared here it really helps.
Al
I understand your frustration. My Cyclone was about 2000 lbs over it's GVWR (18K) with the Mule, Weber gas grill, and full water. Unlike your BH, the GVWR was the same as it's axle rating (3 x 6K) and didn't take into consideration the 4K carried by the tow vehicle. I rationalized it because the axles and tires were under their max, the F350 DRW was under it's max, and my GCWR was under it's max.

Sounds like you need to be looking at a tag axle for sure.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Al, having moved from a Heartland product to a MADP, I can tell you the difference in build quality and durability is like night and day. No more chaotic mess behind the basement wall, cabinets that want to fall off their hinges, wiring that has no sense of organization. I'm not knocking Heartland at all. It's just the state of the RV industry at that price point. You will be stepping out of something made to be cheap and light weight into a sea worthy vessel. You might consider something lightly used and go with the higher end. It will have the nuts and bolts you're looking for.
We had a '98 Santara gas Type A, bought new. Got tired of fixing the cabinets every time we went out. Screws pulling out, drawer sides and bottoms coming out etc. In our private club there were 12 MH's. One was a Prevost, one a Foretravel (my parents) six Newmars of various kinds and the rest were some other brands. We decided on Newmar and a 2000 3865/FL chassis DSDP was ordered. We ordered the optional hardwood cabinets. A couple years later the DW wanted more slides and I wanted more torque/hp for the mountains out here. So we ordered a '02 4090 DSDP on Spartan. That '02 was the most trouble free MH we've ever owned even after 13 years.