Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry if I missed it, I've read the other threads too, but does the K2 have a different configuration under the fan so the dust storm is better/ eliminated?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Sorry if I missed it, I've read the other threads too, but does the K2 have a different configuration under the fan so the dust storm is better/ eliminated?
I think it is more a function of which generator that which chassis for that. My 12.5K, and I'm pretty sure the 10K, Onan blows straight down. If my wife is with me I'll have her shut down the AC and then I'll shut down the generator before we drive on the calechie soil in an unpaved park.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I just sold my 2017 4018 on a FL chassis. The dust that is raised in the backend of the coach on dusty surfaces was unacceptable. I'm ordering a 2018 4369 on a Spartan and hoping I don't have to employ the bottom cover fix.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
My Spartan kicks it up too.

Additionally, the blower output on the Onan 12.5 is straight down and kicks up a fair bit.

Here is my Onan Air Filter after 500 hours, think I'll start changing it at 250 hours.
+1
Our Spartan K2 side radiator can really kick it up on a dry dusty road and couple that with a hot day when the Onan 10 is running to run the AC's and you can loose the rig in the cloud! The first place we ever camped when we left the CG on a narrow dirt road there were people sitting out by the road and we totally lost them in a cloud. It hadn't been dusty prior to their site. It was one of those "funny but not" situations... They probably thought we did it on purpose but it really hadn't been throwing up much dust until a new patch of gravel that had been put down to fill in potholes I presume...
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Since Freightliner offers a radiator fan kit, I wonder if Spartan does too? Or will the Freightliner kit fit on the Spartan?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Its not just Spartan and Freightliner, my Roadmaster is horrible also. I have called Source engineering asking if they had a solution, spoke to other coach owners. The only solution I got was live with it or don't go places with dirt roads. I was going to make a deflector to shoot the air up over the engine, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if that's really a good idea or not. We just avoid places with dirt roads. When we do go to those places I tell my wife after we enter they will be considering paving or wetting the roads to keep the dust down
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The deflector is actually BETTER for your engine for two reasons. First, it pushes air up and onto your engine that would have just blown under the coach. Second, the reduction of dust keeps your engine cleaner and reduces what your air cleaner sucks in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #22

I have been following this thread as well as a previous thread covering the "dust storm" created by the side radiator coaches. My intention was to install the deflector on our new coach. I was recently at Gaffney Freightliner and we were not stirring up much dust, so I figured this issue of a dust storm was overblown. LOL
Our LADP is on a SL series chassis by Freightliner. When I looked underneath the fan area to scope out the situation, lo and behold, the SL chassis has a enclosed box apparatus mounted there already. Probably similar to the kit Freightliner has for the XCR series chassis. I am glad I looked prior to ordering the deflector. Another job I can scratch off my ROUND to it LIST.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The deflector is actually BETTER for your engine for two reasons. First, it pushes air up and onto your engine that would have just blown under the coach. Second, the reduction of dust keeps your engine cleaner and reduces what your air cleaner sucks in.
Dutch Star Don have a question for you! My 2011 Mt.Aire on a freightliner chassis with 450 ISL side radiator, tends to kick up the dust when dry camping! When I get set up i notice a film of dust on the bedroom tile floor ! With the slides closed where would the dust be coming from?? Thinking seriously of going the deflector route ! Do you think this would help ? Thanks for any input !
Old 06-09-2017, 02:36 AM   #24

I implemented Dutch Star Don's solution. Hardest part was getting my fat gut under the rig [emoji16]. Difference was enormous! Thanks Don!
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I just got an email back from Joel at Spartan. The Spartan radiator fan slows down as your speed slows down, so we shouldn't get much dust blown up in dusty campgrounds. Has that been the case for those of you with relatively new K2 chassis?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #26

Ok gang - here's the majority of the problem- it's mainly on Freightliner chassis, side mounted radiator models. I & my buddy - who has a 2012 MADP began complaining to Freightliner in 2013 about this issue. Freightliner's shroud on the radiator fan is not long enough & ~65% of the fan blade depth is outside the shroud. This kicks up a terrible dust storm regardless which fan speed it's running. Spartan on the other hand has about `95% of their fan blade inside their deeper shroud- therefore it kicks up significantly less dust, but it still kicks up a little.

Freightliners temporary fix is a flat sheet metal pan covering the opening between the radiator & engine. They installed mine free under warranty. This decreases the dust cloud by ~90%, but you still get a little. The downside of this field fix is, it makes it very difficult to get to the dipstick on the fan drive gear box to check the oil level! It also changes the sound of the engine when idling.

Long-term solution-FCC needs to re-engineer their fan shroud by extending it ~5" deeper towards the engine, but this will require cooling testing as well as possible fan speed reduction as more CFM of air will be pulled through the radiator if they maintain the same fan size, blade pitch & RPM.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"dav-cle".....I wouldn't think that the dust caused by the radiator is causing your dust on the floor. I'm sure there are days when you drive on fairly clean roads and still have the issue. My guess is that it's coming in around the slide seals. You could do some testing. I would buy some weather stripping like this Frost King E/O 1-1/4 in. x 7/16 in. x 10 ft. Black High-Density Rubber Foam Weatherstrip Tape-R516H - The Home Depot from Home Depot. They have several types from dense to soft and some with a double bubble seal. I would buy some of the softer/thinner foam and install it around the base of the slide. Bring the slide out about a foot and tape a strip on the back side of the lower edge of the slide and maybe a foot up the sides. By using the softer foam or the double bubble stuff, it won't interfere with your slide operation or damage your paint.

If that doesn't do it, I would try it across the top.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
My Spartan kicks it up too.

Additionally, the blower output on the Onan 12.5 is straight down and kicks up a fair bit.

Here is my Onan Air Filter after 500 hours, think I'll start changing it at 250 hours.

Coincidentally I just fount the same on my onan filter. I have 150 hours on the generator. Noticed a lot of red dirt after a Sedona trip. Went digging and found the air filter loaded. Blew it out with compressed air. Will be getting a new one. Blew out the containment box and flushed with water.