Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star 2013-4347 Wind leak

Has anyone gone beyond the mirror and silicone the channel hole fixes to cure a wind leak in the drivers window? Those didn't help.
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you getting the wind noise from the window slot between the two windows themselves or from your outside mirror?
Temporarily place a tape over seam of the two windows to see if wind noise stops.
If it does then we need a better felt and thicker placed in the window grove between the two panes of glass.
You will have to remove window frame to place a better seal between the two windows.
Will look for window seals.
Your windows
Not sure what they call that seal between windows maybe you can match up with seals shown, this may not be your problem anyway it seems your not alone with the problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefleming View Post
Has anyone gone beyond the mirror and silicone the channel hole fixes to cure a wind leak in the drivers window? Those didn't help.
I have the noise again, and will get the Hoots to help me resolve this once and for all. It is on my list for this next week.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

There was a thread not to long ago about this some say its the way the mirror is sitting. What I found with mine was down at the bottom of the window from the inside where the two pieces of glass meet is a small hole it's very hard to see you may want to use a flash light to see it. I put some silicone in the hole and wind noise is gone it's not easy to get the silicone in there but it worked. I put the silicone in from the inside. Hope this help
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I think I finally found the source of the wind noise from my driver side window. I have always thought that window was loose when closed. Have moved mirror countless times with no change in noise. Recently I removed stop screw in front track. This allowed me to slide window forward enough to work on seal between windows. After filing vertical channel with foam seal silicone to bottom of vertical channel and the addition of a small amount of weather stripping added to the vertical seal. Drove motorhome yesterday for the first time after the attempted fix. Absolutely no wind noise. I you can move your window in a vertical motion with latch closed I think this will fix your problem. Wife was very happy with my fix. We have listened to this for a year. All other tries to solve this issue failed. Give it a try I think you will be pleased.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #6

I have had the same problem since day one. Moved my mirror around as well with no real difference. My dealer says they have fixed a couple already on the 2013 Stars. Not sure what they did. They will be fixing mine after the Hoots meeting during my end of season service visit.

Ma Snart
Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

I am currently parked outside of Midway RV. I will ask tomorrow what their suggestions are for the wind noise. Hopefully, they have an easy fix for all of you.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for offering to help me chase this down. Look forward to what Midway has to say.
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
This is what I received from Newmar customer service. I am going to give this a try but it may be a while till I can give it a road test. I will report results.
"After speaking with our service and engineering staff, the previous suggestions of check the wire run to ensure that it was foamed, ensuring that there is insulation in the A pillar, and if the weep hole is directly under the T-bar in the window then it should be sealed. If the slider glass can be pressed and moved then that may be a source of wind noise. It should be snug."
Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Does anyone have a link to the photo instructions on how to find and plug the hole in the window channel?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #11

Thanks for posting again and reminding me to update the noise suggestions. I spoke to Midway service and they suggested taking black electrical tape and start covering window seams, joints, drip holes, and any other places that may cause the wind noise. If none of that works, than they could only suggest moving the mirror further out, or at a different angle. But most likely, the noise is coming from some seam/hole. I have an electric window, so my window configuration is different than most. I do not have any wind noise, so I would think it is not the mirror. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #12

Redbaron73 and I discussed his wind noise and my lack of it. My window has weep hole covers, his did not.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased the covers and noise is now gone! Newmar keeps them in stock.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I will try the "tape up everything" solution on our trip over thanksgiving. My DS already has covers on the weep holes. I have seen something mentioned about a hole in the window channel that needs to be sealed, but can't find good instructions on where it is. This is making me crazy!!

Tags
leak