Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMertens View Post
Misquoting someone to make a point invalidates your point. Wonder where you got the 3 million miles in a RV that you attribute to me. I'm also sorry you can't get the best fuel mileage out of your rig. With my trucking experience I always look for the fuel efficient sweet spot on my engine. Many paychecks and bonuses were based on mpg. On my Cummins ISL15 450 at 66-67 mph in 2nd overdrive. Running there and using the mode around town will get me into the 8mpg range every day I'm not making altitude increases.
I got the three million miles from your post of 5-5-2017 at 10:26 am in this thread.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 05:39 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I got the three million miles from your post of 5-5-2017 at 10:26 am in this thread.
You accused me of saying 3 million miles in my RV, go back and read it. I never said that.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #45
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have the 4018, but if I were in your position and planning on being in the coach half of the year, I would go with the 43'.

There are many subtle differences between the two, but the first and not the most important difference would be the 150 gallon tank. Since the coach is longer the ride will be more limo like.

Now the two biggest differences.....you wont find any used 40' DS's with three A/C units. In hot weather, mine won't cool to the level I like (70 degrees). Lastly, if I were on the road that long, I would definitely want all the storage I could get. The 40' with a tag really cuts down on outside storage.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have the 4018, but if I were in your position and planning on being in the coach half of the year, I would go with the 43'.

There are many subtle differences between the two, but the first and not the most important difference would be the 150 gallon tank. Since the coach is longer the ride will be more limo like.

Now the two biggest differences.....you wont find any used 40' DS's with three A/C units. In hot weather, mine won't cool to the level I like (70 degrees). Lastly, if I were on the road that long, I would definitely want all the storage I could get. The 40' with a tag really cuts down on outside storage.
You may want to report your a/c issue to Newmar. I full time in AZ where it can reach 115 degrees in July and august. I've never had an a/c cooling issue. It does take longer to cool down after a trip and I pull into a campground in summer, but that is to be expected.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #47

The comments on this post helped us determine that the 4369 will most likely serve us best as we transition into "retirement." We hope to purchase this fall, or January at the latest. These forums sure are helpful! C. Oakley
C. Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #48
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is noting wrong with my A/C. It reminds me of owning a Norcold 1200 refrigerator. In perfect conditions, it stays cool as long as you don't move around much. I want it to be like a residential refer, cold no matter what and not struggling in warm weather or after driving all day.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #49

This is a bit late as the OP seems to have made his decision, but my ol' 40' DS has a 150 gal fuel tank. The difference is that it is on a Spartan vs FL chassis. The extra 50 gal played a significant part in my decision to buy that particular DS vs some I considered on the FL chassis. Averaging 350 miles per day, I can drive for two days without a fill up and still have a reserve of 50 gal. Of course, mountain driving messes with that scheme somewhat.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Hey . . . it's just my opinion . . . that is what we're giving here in this thread right?

Last year we went to NC to a rather remote RV park in the Smoky mountains. While we were on I81 getting there we had unlimited options for filling up. Tons of truck stops and no issues. We were at 1/2 tank and determined that when we got off I81 to head into the camp ground we'd be able to fill up then . . . no problem. WRONG! ! When we got off there was NO diesel and the places that had it you couldn't possibly get a coach into or out of. It wasn't happening. As it turns out we had a pretty good distance to go, pulling hills while towing through the Smoky's. We ended up getting very luck and finding a fuel delivery place that serviced truck and were able to get some fuel there.

We also go to NASCAR and large music events. You run the generator a LOT at these. Once you're in the place, you're not coming OUT until it is over.

Sorry but in my case you're dead wrong. There is NO WAY I would buy a coach this size without at least 150 gallons of fuel capacity - PERIOD! And when you are comparing that to 100, fully 50 gallons less . . . sorry, this is a no brainer. I have a lot more freedom to fill up when ever I want and don't have to worry so much about where I stay or for how long running self contained.

Oh and lets not forget the USABLE capacity of the tank. Remember the generator shuts down at something like 1/4 tank. So you are talking 75 gallons of use with generator, that's if you're full when you pull in. Or you get 113 gallons of use with generator.

Plus the usable range when you're actually driving. Are you really going to run it to empty? How low will you run it and still feel comfortable that you'll make to it a station where you can actually pull in to (remember you could be towing) and get back out of?

So it really depends on how you're going to use it I guess and what you feel comfortable with.
This thread is quite entertaining, as are your posts about tank size, with some people wanting to be so right about their position or opinion. The facts as I see them: 43' offers more storage, 150 gallon tank offers more available fuel than 100 gallons, some parks you may not be able to get into at 43' vs. 40' but not as many as you would think, the 43' footer cost more than the 40', and the 40' and 43' footers are both great options depending on what you preferences are. In the end, it's a personal and financial decision.

My experience has been that I went from at 40' Ventana LE to a 43' Ventana tag axle. Love the LE but really love the Ventana length, features and tag axle a whole bunch more. 100 % no regrets going to the 43' Ventana. Anyone with a 100 gallon tank should be able to make that work work 99.9% of the time. We have not yet encountered a park where our 43' footer wouldn't fit but a 40' would so length has not yet been an issue for us. In close quarters our 43' handles better, and seems shorter than the 40' because of the steerable tag.

Enjoy the open road!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing changed for me after reading all this I'm still going to get the DS 4369 with a bunch of upgrades from the Essex and the King aire... [Mod Edit].

PS my wife just said BIGGER IS BETTER!!!
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #52

Please let us know your upgrades when the time comes or do,you have that list now?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star