Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Dutch Star 3717 vs 4328 vs 4369 Kitchen

Calling all chefs (or wannabe chefs)

As we narrow down our search, one of the major considerations for us is a useable and functional cooking space. We happen to have a large kitchen at home and like to cook. We don't plan to full time but "long time" (IE 2-3 months at a time) and want to eat like we do at home.

Things like pantry/cupboard space for crock pots, pots, wok etc as well as good storage seem hard to come by. I'd love to hear from those that do a lot of cooking/chopping/prep with the above floor plan kitchens. Do you mount your knives on the wall or use a knife block? Toaster oven placement? Anyone found place for a proper espresso machine? First world problems i know

Lastly, anyone ever ask for or get a flush mount induction vs the removable to improve useable prep space? I dislike the idea (although haven't lived with) the removable covers. I doubt we'd ever actually remove the cooktop to take outside, I'll have a bbq and smoker for that.

Before we buy we'll go into each floor plan and pretend to meal prep to confirm our ideas, but it's hard to find all 3 in one place and they aren't local to us.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #2

4369 Kitchen

Looking at 2 dimensional floorplans is hard to understand what kind of space is really available. We like the big (wide) pantry in the 4369. We have a Ventana, but the floorplan is almost identical to the Dutch Star. We have a pull out counter section that makes an "L" shape in the kitchen and gives more counter space. We also have the induction cook top that is not recessed and we leave the cover on all the time, except of course when using the stove top.

We keep a toaster, Cuisinart Griddler, and InstantPot on our counter all the time and they do not move, nor require any extra steps to secure them while travelling. Take dimensions of the appliances you want to take in the RV and measure the storage locations when you tour RVs. The dishwasher is a great option but you loose 2 big drawers.

Finding different floor plans to look at in person is a challenge. If you can attend a big RV show, like the supershow in Tampa, FL this January, you'll most likely see everything you want. There are also several Newmar dealers around the country that carry a lot of inventory - check their websites and plan a weekend trip to check them out if they are not close.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

We have the 4369 and find that with the counter drawer extension, we have enough room. We did add as a special an extra outlet on a separate circuit. The standard True Induction cooktop will not allow you to run both burners on high. So we replaced it with two True Induction single units. One is plugged into the existing outlet, the other is on the outlet that we added. This addition allows better heat management. Have fun and Bon Appetit.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at Magma nesting cookware. Good heavy quality, built for RV life and boats. Knifes right now are in the drawer. I haven't found a block I like and then need to store when we move. The dishwasher I like. Uses very little water. Sometimes we use it and somwtimes we just hand wash.Though I don't do it I read someone was storing their dishes in it. They put the dirty ones back in and run the wash. Takes the same time and water. Guess that depends on what you are doing and where you are set up.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveby View Post
Calling all chefs.

Things like pantry/cupboard space for crock pots, pots, wok etc as well as good storage seem hard to come by.

Do you mount your knives on the wall or use a knife block?

Toaster oven placement?

Anyone found place for a proper espresso machine?

Lastly, anyone ever ask for or get a flush mount induction vs the removable to improve useable prep space?

I doubt we'd ever actually remove the cooktop to take outside, I'll have a bbq and smoker for that.

We have a huge gourmet kitchen with high end appliances including a La Marzocco semi-commercial espresso machine. So, the kitchen of our DS4369 was a big deal. I spent months thinking carefully about layout, appliances, and utensils.

Midsize InstaPot fits perfect in the pantry. No D/W...we hated our double F-P dish drawer. So saving the money and gaining the drawer space was a no-brainer.

Cutco knives are in the drawer. Less clutter and rattle. Sharp and multiple uses; ie Spredder-Cutter, so only 3 are needed.

I can’t stand having anything on the counter. Plenty of space if you keep it free!! If I get a toaster, I’ll store it in the pantry or the sink overhead.

I’m a bit of an expert when it comes to espresso machines. Feel free to DM me and I can help a lot further. I chose the Breville Nespresso Pro Creatista because it is SMALL, very efficient, VERY LITTLE CLEANUP, no flushing cycle (unlike S/A machines), and easy on power with NO warmup. It does a very good job for a sub-$400 machine. It’s the only thing that stays on the counter.

Honestly, I am SO happy with the induction top, that I am SERIOUSLY considering trashing our Viking for one at home!! We’ve not yet, run out of power. The whole “split” issue has NOT ever impeded us. When you can boil water or sauces at 3, we find little need to go higher. Bacon, eggs, searing meats all are easy at 5.

I bought a S/S Whirly-pop so it can be used on the Induction for pasta water! And cast iron and carbon steel skillets are perfect for all things.

I have a pellet grill but I love taking the induction top outside to cook anything that spatters or smells!!! I’m sad for anyone who hasn’t tried it! I’m a believer!!

Hope this helps.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #6

We have a 3717. We put the knives in the drawer under the cooktop. We have a large Breville oven in the corner where the cups and apples are in the picture. We leave it on the counter all the time. It hasn't moved but the crumb tray will come out on a bumpy road.

If you get a 3717, I suggest getting a flip up counter top Extention. We've purchased all the parts from Newmar just haven't installed it yet. There's no place to put the dirty dishes while washing. But we have a one bowl sink. If you keep the 2 bowl sink it might not be as important.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_081200.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	264393Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_081150.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	264394Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_081216.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	264395
Old 10-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Do you mount your knives on the wall or use a knife block?
One thing I had not thought of until I read it recently. Knives on a magnetic mount or in a block left out can and will become flying projectiles in an accident.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appliance garage on ventana 4369

The Ventana 4369 has an appliance garage to the right of the kitchen sink.
txaggies1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggies1983 View Post
The Ventana 4369 has an appliance garage to the right of the kitchen sink.

Meant to say that we DELETED that Appliance Garage on our 19 DS4369 for the following reasons:

1. Too far back to use
2. Too small for anything we use
3. Takes up available counter space
4. Allows for larger window

Probably why you don’t see it on the 2020 DS.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunni View Post
We have a 3717. We put the knives in the drawer under the cooktop. We have a large Breville oven in the corner where the cups and apples are in the picture. We leave it on the counter all the time. It hasn't moved but the crumb tray will come out on a bumpy road.

If you get a 3717, I suggest getting a flip up counter top Extention. We've purchased all the parts from Newmar just haven't installed it yet. There's no place to put the dirty dishes while washing. But we have a one bowl sink. If you keep the 2 bowl sink it might not be as important.Attachment 264393Attachment 264394Attachment 264395
Thanks for the photos. That flatware/utensil drawer looks like it holds a ton. I hadn't thought about the counter extension but it sounds like a great idea. We only need the space for a few minutes at a time. either prep or clean up and really only at dinner time.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Meant to say that we DELETED that Appliance Garage on our 19 DS4369 for the following reasons:

1. Too far back to use
2. Too small for anything we use
3. Takes up available counter space
4. Allows for larger window

Probably why you don’t see it on the 2020 DS.
Thanks for the posts. I had already decided the appliance garage wasn't for us but I'd keep the power in the area. Interesting you'd accept a Nespresso when you have good coffee at home. I'm a bit of a hard core coffee snob (Rift Valley beans roasted on the light side of dark roast are may fav). So I'm still figuring out how I will enjoy my long pulls
Old 10-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
Look at Magma nesting cookware. Good heavy quality, built for RV life and boats. Knifes right now are in the drawer. I haven't found a block I like and then need to store when we move. The dishwasher I like. Uses very little water. Sometimes we use it and somwtimes we just hand wash.Though I don't do it I read someone was storing their dishes in it. They put the dirty ones back in and run the wash. Takes the same time and water. Guess that depends on what you are doing and where you are set up.
Thanks for the Magma idea. We use their pot "stars" at home. Definitely a space saver!

We are undecided about the dishwasher. Like the idea, hate the space loss. Plus we will have to hand wash prep pots/pans and wine glasses anway.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the posts. I had already decided the appliance garage wasn't for us but I'd keep the power in the area. Interesting you'd accept a Nespresso when you have good coffee at home. I'm a bit of a hard core coffee snob (Rift Valley beans roasted on the light side of dark roast are may fav). So I'm still figuring out how I will enjoy my long pulls

They leave the power there; but it’s a surface mount box. Yuck. But still useful.

The Nespresso is DEFINITELY a concession. Again, this being our first coach, I didn’t want to go crazy and regret the investment of a super-automatic...which I’m not a real fan of anyways. The factors I listed ONLY pointed to the Creatista. I checked the Jura line and they are bigger and have a LOT more “cleaning” on a daily basis.

The Gaggia Anima may be an acceptable solution. Again, size matters. And the Creatista is perfect and never needs to be moved for any reason; using, filling, dumping, and cleaning.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the Magma idea. We use their pot "stars" at home. Definitely a space saver!

We are undecided about the dishwasher. Like the idea, hate the space loss. Plus we will have to hand wash prep pots/pans and wine glasses anway.

The dishwasher option is a must for some while others see no need. Personal preference. We have one in our house and use it all the time, so it was an easy decision to add the washer. We have the booth seating arrangement so plenty of storage under the seats for pots and pans. If you have the dinette option, storage could be an issue. We have had no issues, other than Newmar running cold water to the unit instead of hot, fixed that. We like that when we have a morning breakfast we load it up and start the cycle and have clean dishes when we arrive at our destination.

Tags
dutch star