Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutch Star 4312 question

We currently have a Tiffin 38QBA and are looking at possibly upgrading to a Dutch Star 4312. One question I have for any current owners is do you have any issues keeping the rear bunk room (as well as the rest of the coach) cool while traveling down the road especially in warmer temperatures? We live in FL most the year with little kids, and are curious how it holds it temperature in warmer weather. Sometimes they will take naps or watch movies in their current bunks in our 38QBA. One of the reasons we are looking to change is our Tiffin can't hold it's temperature in warmer weather while driving. We recently came back from a trip and the inside of the coach was in the mid 80's with generator and both AC's going.

Thanks and I look forward to any insightful information.

-Brian
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

its allright for a while but eventually we turn the generator on and the a/c on. I believe the chassis A/c draws hot air from the coach and eventually it heats up and cant cool it as well as we would like . within 10 mins of turning the rear A/C on. the chassis a/c is blowing cold air
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was concerned about this as well as our previous coach would heat up like a furnace in the area over the engine.

No such problem in the Newmar. Obviously you need the air on, but it's easy to turn it into a meat locker if you want. My kids often ask for the a/c to be turned off as it cools very quickly. Lots of flow out of a single circular ceiling vent. We actually had ours built with the zone 3 temp sensor in that room just be be sure it would heat/cool properly. Normally it is near the main bed.

FYI, the 4312 was only made in the 2015/2016 year runs. I found that strange. I was at the factory in April and including my own, there were 5 other 4312's either in the lot (3) or just being finished (2)! Still a distant second from the 4369 which pretty much everyone else has...
Old 08-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
I was concerned about this as well as our previous coach would heat up like a furnace in the area over the engine.

No such problem in the Newmar. Obviously you need the air on, but it's easy to turn it into a meat locker if you want. My kids often ask for the a/c to be turned off as it cools very quickly. Lots of flow out of a single circular ceiling vent. We actually had ours built with the zone 3 temp sensor in that room just be be sure it would heat/cool properly. Normally it is near the main bed.

FYI, the 4312 was only made in the 2015/2016 year runs. I found that strange. I was at the factory in April and including my own, there were 5 other 4312's either in the lot (3) or just being finished (2)! Still a distant second from the 4369 which pretty much everyone else has...
Great, that's just what I needed to know. Yea we run the generator and AC all the time now so I have no problem doing so, just curious if he would keep up with the heat of the engine in the rear as well as the high temps we get in FL. Right now our Tiffin does neither. We also really like that floor plan with the bunk room in the back as right now if we put kids to sleep and we are up watching tv or hanging out with others we have to be quiet with kids right past the main salon. I was suprised when the discontinued the 4312 model and replaced it with 4310 and now the 4326 (both with bunks mid ship). However there are a few 4312 still left over on lots and if we miss out on those I'm sure some will get traded in or put up for sale.

It's ashame because Tiffin has treated us great and we like the coach but Dutch Star just has many options we now are looking for (rear bunk, 2 baths, tag axle, better insulation, larger engine, etc.).
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We will have had ours for two years in September and we love it more every time we use it. The insulation is spectacular. We would be similar to you in the Texas heat and humidity and as I always tell my friends "the Newmar laughs at the heat index!". We have friends with Tiffins that even with 3 a/c units cannot get cool. The only thing that comes close are the Entegras.

I think the 4312 is a brilliant design. Every inch of the coach is utilized. Sure we would like some bigger areas like the pantry and half bath, but really don't have any significant things on the want list with this floor plan.

Hope you find one!
Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

fsudelt-

If you haven't already, at least take a look at a 4310. Ultimately the choice will be yours. But since you are in the information gathering stage, I would strongly advise that you at least take a look at this floor plan. We owned 2 4312s, a 15 and 16. We pretty much thought that that floorplan was the best one you could have. Until now when we've just finished a week of camping in our new 4310. This is an amazing floor plan. The size of the rear bath makes you feel as though you are in a grown-up motorhome. The two showers are indispensable once you get used to having them. I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but this thing actually has more storage than the 4312.

Yes, The one downside is that the bunks are in the middle. But the way the sliding doors compartmentalize each of the three sections of the bus, it really has not been problematic. The advantage is that these bunks actually feel like "real" bunks in terms of size. They are longer n wider than those in the 4312.

As I said, the choice is yours, but at least make sure you research all the available bunk floorplans with an open mind just to make sure. And also remember, if the choice is there, try and stay with 2016 and newer and get that passives steer tag axle. I am not suggesting that somebody with an older model go out and sell it just to get this feature. But if you are in the market looking to buy, you might as well try and get that feature too. It's very nice to have.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
fsudelt-

If you haven't already, at least take a look at a 4310. Ultimately the choice will be yours. But since you are in the information gathering stage, I would strongly advise that you at least take a look at this floor plan. We owned 2 4312s, a 15 and 16. We pretty much thought that that floorplan was the best one you could have. Until now when we've just finished a week of camping in our new 4310. This is an amazing floor plan. The size of the rear bath makes you feel as though you are in a grown-up motorhome. The two showers are indispensable once you get used to having them. I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but this thing actually has more storage than the 4312.

Yes, The one downside is that the bunks are in the middle. But the way the sliding doors compartmentalize each of the three sections of the bus, it really has not been problematic. The advantage is that these bunks actually feel like "real" bunks in terms of size. They are longer n wider than those in the 4312.

As I said, the choice is yours, but at least make sure you research all the available bunk floorplans with an open mind just to make sure. And also remember, if the choice is there, try and stay with 2016 and newer and get that passives steer tag axle. I am not suggesting that somebody with an older model go out and sell it just to get this feature. But if you are in the market looking to buy, you might as well try and get that feature too. It's very nice to have.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thanks for all the 1st hand knowledge/experience. The 4310 is one other model we had looked at, we were leaning towards the 4312 to have bunks in back as I mentioned earlier. One other option is the 4326 (new as well for 2017), which is exact same as yours except front bath is half bath with no shower & it has a king bed instead of queen. They just released floor plan so there are no units yet out as far as I know. We'll see what happens....as no final decision yet.

Yesterday confirmed to me we need to make the change as I was doing some work in our Tiffin and the front AC could never get lower than 84 in 6 hours (lowered it down to 78 at 10am & at 4:30 it was still 84 inside, it was 85 at 10am when I lowered it)! It was a hot FL day but it drives me crazy you spend that much for a coach & it can't even keep temp to your liking on warmer days.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #8

We looked at a tiffin before we bought our 16 DS 4369. I drove the DS and that convinced us. With the comfort steer and the lack of vibrating noise sold me on the Newmar.

Got to thank lazy days Tampa. If the sales manager wasn't to busy and lazy to close the deal we would have been in a tiffin instead of a Newmar. Can you imagine, spending around 400k and at 4 pm they say come back tomorrow. That says to me we don't want your money.

Southwest Florida
2016 Dutchstar 4369
Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

I was a Tiffin Owner until this past year. Newmar Now...
I believe you said you had 2 AC units in your current coach. You would want to option for the 3 AC units which will help a lot. But.....I would tell you that the insulation of the Dutch Star units are far and above what my Tiffin was. That includes a lot of little places and spaces we use to have to add foam to in the Tiffin.
Just much happier with my 16 Dutch Star. If I were looking for a bunk Model, the newer 2 full baths is really nice. Saw one at Newmar last month.
Eventually having that extra shower could prove to be nice.
We have been happy with our coach and particularly the service Newmar provides. Oh ....... and the comfort steer and steerable tag (on a 16 or newer) will eventually be the best decision you make .
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #10

A/C in rear of coach

fsudeit- if you're going to be occupying the rear area of the coach going down the road in hot weather, from my 44 years of RV experience, be sure to order the 3rd rooftop A/C-heat pump & larger generator, as you'll need it to keep the rear area cool where your kids can be back there in hot >80 degree F ambient weather.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #11

I second CapuTech's comments. We actually bought a 4312 after touring his. And like him, we love ours more every day. We have a younger child and really enjoy getting him to bed and still use the living area without fear of waking him up.

Live on Texas gulf coast and no problems with keeping cool. The 3 a/c's will freeze you out no matter what the temp is outside.
hp178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great, I really appreciate all the responses and input on this. It will all be very helpful when making a final decision. No matter which way we went I would definitely get the 3rd AC and larger generator. From at least what I have seen so far every 4312 I've looked at did have the 3rd AC option and larger generator. There is one 16 new 4312 still on a dealer lot that I would think could be discounted more since the 17's are all out now. We will see....got to get the wife completely on board first!

- Brian

Tags
dutch star