Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeerw
Got back from 10 day trip today. This morning heard a loud "Pop", the slide shook, then came in. Got home, put slide out to clean and it sounded different and was somewhat jerkey coming out. Upper edge at front did not completely open to seal. Closed slide and found rear about 2" short of being completely closed. Cycled it again and same result. Coach level and jacks down. Looks bent on the bottom right where #3 arm pushes/pulls slide. Could it have slipped a tooth at that one arm?

Might be an upplanned trip to Nappanee with my 4 month old Dutch Star in my immediate future.
Our larger slide on the drivers side would make a loud pop when sliding in. Turned out to be the transtorque bushing and the adjustment of the shaft. After having this adjusted, the slide operates very nicely.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
We've had a tooth break off the cog wheel on our large left front, not full wall, slide, which is very heavy from all the custom cabinetry Newmar installed including a 52" HDTV on a Nexus 21 lift.

We were having issues with the slide closing, so we had the factory look at it. It took Newmar three days to figure out what was wrong. Wasn't the motor or controller or even electrical, which left mechanical. On the afternoon of day three, a tooth broke off one of the cog wheels when the tech was running the slide in/out. The problem ended up being the slide arms. The bottom of the arms where they sit on the cog wheel were literally crushed. They replaced the arms and cog wheels and sent the arms to engineering for inspection/testing.

Sue
Wow! In three and a half years of selling Newmars, I had never heard of that. Clearly a KADP slide and full wall slides must be heavier than those of the era I was selling them. I remember when Newmar first put refers in dinette slides and I had my concerns about weight. There's a reason why galley slides are only 21" deep and not flat floor designs.

I'd be concerned about your slide issue reoccurring, unless a beefier arm design was implemented.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Mckeerw how did you get along with your slide issues. We had our new 4346 in Colleyville for adjustment a few weeks ago. The guys in the service department got us back functional but I think a trip to Newmar will be in our future. I hope it gets us through our son's college basketball season.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #46

A lot of head scratching at first, and even speculation that Newmar may have to bring it back to the factory. On the full wall slide, there are 4 arms and two motors. Front two arms connected to a torque tube on one motor, back two arms connected to another torque tube and the other motor. There is a "Control" board that sync's the two motors so the slide moves evenly. They were able to "reset" that board and manually re-sync the motors. As of yesterday afternoon, that seems to have fixed the big problem with no apparant damage from being twisted. Hoping to get a response from Newmar today about why that may have happend on a 4 month old unit and what I can expect going forward. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will.

The bottom rear part of the slide has never pulled in completely flush and it still does not. It lacks about 3/8ths of an inch from being completely flush like the other three corners. Both the doorside slides are flush. Anybody else have a big slide that does that? There was one used unit for sale there that looked the same way on the front bottom of the big slide, but it wasn't sticking out quite as far.

I'm in for some other warranty issues, and will be over there later today. I'll try to send an update tonight.
Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #47

I hope this is a picture of the slide when it was twisted and the rear portion stuck out about 4 inches. http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/17820654@N02/8227185458/
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! Definitely a problem as pictured.

No matter what happens locally, if it were me, there would be a visit to the factory headed my way when I could schedule it. There is no question they will make this right for you there.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #49

Our sticks out about 1/4-3/8 in at the bottom rear. But it was my fault.

Wife and I were talking while I was putting the slides in, I had the big slide in and had taken my finger off the button. I didn't look up, just reached up and pressed the switch, the wrong switch. Didn't realize it till the torque arm made it's popping sound. That was day one.

I always look now.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeerw View Post
The bottom rear part of the slide has never pulled in completely flush and it still does not. It lacks about 3/8ths of an inch from being completely flush like the other three corners. Both the doorside slides are flush. Anybody else have a big slide that does that? There was one used unit for sale there that looked the same way on the front bottom of the big slide, but it wasn't sticking out quite as far.

Could it be the stoprods need to be adjusted? This would allow the slide to retract further until it hits the end of the stoprod. After the slide stops have you tried the the switch again to see if it comes in the last 3/8"? There is no reason I know of that the slide could not be adjusted such its is flush when in.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is the new Newmar slide spec which covers most slides and has some info on trouble shooting the slide problems.
The dealer should have it also and it will give you an idea of what they may have to do with full wall.
You could check under slide and look at stop rods stop nuts should all be tight and the stop brackets they ride through should not be broken.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #52

No feedback from Newmar as of 1430 this afternoon. Professional Sales RV in Colleyville, TX is working on the list of mostly small warranty items.

Yes, a trip to the factory about April is in the works.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #53

Quote:
No feedback from Newmar as of 1430 this afternoon. Professional Sales RV in Colleyville, TX is working on the list of mostly small warranty items.

Yea and it would be on Newmars dime if I had to take my rig to Amishville Iowa for repairs. That's what warranties are for.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #54

Quote:

We'll be there March 28.

Do you have any photos of the whole side? Is yours "custom" colors?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #55

PDR John:

You posted: "Wife and I were talking while I was putting the slides in, I had the big slide in and had taken my finger off the button. I didn't look up, just reached up and pressed the switch, the wrong switch. Didn't realize it till the torque arm made it's popping sound."

I don't understand what is is you did wrong?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #56

PDR John ask for a picture of the full wall slide.

Its not custom paint as far as I know. Photo is at the Louisville Good Sam rally where we bought the coach.

Tags
slide