Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #1

Dutch Star Options - Yes or No and Why?

We will be placing an order for a 2018 Dutch Star 4052 soon and are wondering about the value/worth of several options:

Central Vac?

Dishwasher?

Radiant Floor Heat?

Undermount Double bowl kitchen sink?

Transfer switch with Surge Protector (I'm thinking of getting a hughs autoformer and progressive surge protector - after market?)

Large Storage tray with one side access vs. Pass through storage tray from either side?

Stainless steel vs. Chrome baggage door package

Safe?

Sanicon System?

Kitchen window?
Girard Awnings vs. standard ($13K wow!!)

Any of the other options to definitely STAY AWAY from or MAKE SURE WE GET!

Thanks
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
We will be placing an order for a 2018 Dutch Star 4052 soon and are wondering about the value/worth of several options:

Central Vac?

Dishwasher?

Radiant Floor Heat?

Transfer switch with Surge Protector (I'm thinking of getting a hughs autoformer and progressive surge protector - after market?)

Large Storage tray with one side access vs. Pass through storage tray from either side?

Safe?

Sanicon System?

Kitchen window?

Thanks
Get them all except for the dishwasher. You won’t use it very often and they tend to smell if you don’t.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #3

Yes on the dishwasher. We use it all the time. When we purchased ours, my number 1 must have was the kitchen window.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
dlennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

I would pass on the following
Dishwasher
Awning - $$$
Kitchen window- loose a lot of back splash

I would definitely get
Heated floors - love them
Chrome package - doors and trim kit

Good luck
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Central Vac?
*We ordered it for resale, not sure how needed

Dishwasher?
*Did not order, seems like prewash is needed and smell issues

Radiant Floor Heat?
*At first was not ordering, but after putting the question out, changed our minds and added

*Liked the stock sink

*Added it, just didn't want to mess with it, plus last year It was the only one Newmar would special do to compatibility issues.

*Only ordered the one none pass through, clearance to frame is short

*Personal preference, I like the look of the Stainless trim and felt it offered some protection for doors

Safe?
*No! Read articles on how easily broken into, want more closet shelves

Sanicon System?
*Bill sold me on this one so I added it, watch YouTube videos only if you want to spend the money [emoji4]

Kitchen window?
*We went with no window, like the look of backsplash

*ordered I felt it is worth it, one of the distinguishing features of the DS IMO

*I'm not a fan off paying for satellite radio so I did not opt for antenna
Add docking lights, under slide lights, outside tv, in So Cal did not add heated seats, I did not add power shades, at the time of order dealer had 4 MH waiting for updated parts, it is a cool option,

Thanks
Good luck it can be nerve wrecking[emoji51]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
No to turbo sanicon, gravity dump is fine and do not want to work on macerator as we did in our boat...We have electic floors but live in the south and we wear ankle socks so of no great benefit for us. If you live North of the Mason Dixon line then I would say yes to electric floors. We purchased an electric free standing fireplace and set it up in front of pocket door going into bedroom. We pull door half out and that is where it sits. Set it at 68 and Oasis or Heat pumps hardly come on. No kitchen window takes away from counter space. Would deffinately get the girard nova main awnings, we do not have the girard window awnings though, we have the manual pull down dometic, but the 12K is actually about 8600 and I think I would have spent the extra as that inlcudes slide out toppers, electric window awnings and entry door awning!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Central Vac?

Dishwasher?

Radiant Floor Heat?

Safe?

Sanicon System?

Kitchen window?

Thanks
Don't get the slide that passes through the entire full-width bin. You will lose half (or more) of the storage that's above rail height.

Some other recent threads have good discussion on who ordered what options & customizations and why:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fina...ar-362620.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tips...ar-359911.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dutc...ns-360070.html

Hope that helps! Happy reading!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Everyone is different....you're going to get as many opinions on things as you get posters. As an example, we love our dishwasher and the next coach will have one. I'm sure most have them in their house, why do they dislike them in a coach. I've had a SaniCon unit since 2005, wouldn't have a coach without one.

I would say the majority of people love heated floors and if I lived in a cold climate they would be a must, but not a big issue to us out west. I know many would order a coach with no TV's and would be very happy, yet their dislike of watching television doesn't speak for everyone.

With all that said, read through this list, but take some opinions with a grain of salt as we are all different and RV differently.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Everyone is different....you're going to get as many opinions on things as you get posters. As an example, we love our dishwasher and the next coach will have one. I'm sure most have them in their house, why do they dislike them in a coach.
There's a reason for this, for many of us. For fulltimers in shorter coaches, it's sometimes because we need the kitchen storage space more than we need the dishwasher. For people who dry camp often, they are often wary of the water usage. And perhaps for people on a budget, it's one option that they can economize on while still enjoying their unit.

I do learn most from the option discussions when people explain their reasoning. And I get some good ideas and get my mind changed about many of them, too (for example heated floors: extensive discussion here has convinced me that so many people love them that they'd help resale and/or trade-in).

- CC
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I say no to the central vac. They have bulky hose lose power easily and just don't do the job we need it to. We bought a Shark cordless and it is cheaper than central vac and gets the job done.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/opti...ts-363384.html

Thread has a lot of feed back on some of the options you question.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I say no to the central vac. They have bulky hose lose power easily and just don't do the job we need it to. We bought a Shark cordless and it is cheaper than central vac and gets the job done.
If you’re losing power on that dirt devil you must have the floor sweep open. I’ve never seen a vacuum with more suction and one hose reaches from one end of the coach to the other and fits in a little shelf in the half bath. I plug it in outside and clean my Jeep.
Maybe the one you have is defective.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

I'll throw my thoughts out even though we have a Ventana that we bought off the lot.

Quote:

Central Vac? Wife absolutely loves it.

Dishwasher? Don't have one and glad we don't Looked at them but takes up too much storage.

Radiant Floor Heat? No experience with this.

Undermount Double bowl kitchen sink? If this is a bigger sink then yes. We actually paid Newmar $4K to swap out our sink/countertop for the larger 2017 model which also included the removable cooktop.

Transfer switch with Surge Protector (I'm thinking of getting a hughs autoformer and progressive surge protector - after market?) No experience with this.

Large Storage tray with one side access vs. Pass through storage tray from either side? Depends on what you are carrying. The frame rail limits the height on things.

Stainless steel vs. Chrome baggage door package N/A

Safe? I like it even though it is a cheap type safe and small.

Sanicon System? N/A

Kitchen window? Have it and like it.
Girard Awnings vs. standard ($13K wow!!) Absolutely positively yes. This is not available in the VT but wish it was. Anything that strengthens the awnings I would go for. We have had expensive problems due to wind.

Thanks
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Another thought, maybe you still have the spare bags in the dust collection bin. That would limit suction.

Tags
dutch star