Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutch Star or Ventana (not LE)?

My wife and I are looking for a used 2014 Dutch Star or Ventana around 40’/2014/$175k. Is the Dutch star really worth 25K-40K more than the Ventana? Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about (like ISL vs. ISB? I appreciate any feedback…
Thanks!
Alan
ADiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post
My wife and I are looking for a used 2014 Dutch Star or Ventana around 40’/2014/$175k. Is the Dutch star really worth 25K-40K more than the Ventana? Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about (like ISL vs. ISB? I appreciate any feedback…
Thanks!
Alan
Only you can determine whether the Dutch Star is "really worth 25K-40K more than the Ventana." What features are valuable for one may be worthless to another. I will say that having previously owned a Ventana LE, the Dutch Star is a major step up as far as I am concerned. YMMV

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My wife and I are purchasing a new 2020 Dutch Star but the extra for the larger engine, side radiator, more torque(or Towing capacity) and the upgraded features such as the Girard Awnings, Heated floors, etc. in the Dutch Star are worth it to us.
ShelbyTom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ADiamond,
Consider going to the Newmar web site. Find brochures for previous years. Print the brochures and compare the specs. Once you know the differences then you can decide which coach is for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #5

it’s many differences between both, the new Ventana has a lot of the older Dutch Star. As for the model year you are looking at I thing it’s more significant differences, for us was the tag axle, larger engine, all electric coach and towing capacity that did us in, I would be happy with either comparing to our gas job

Zzotte
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As the very happy owner of a Ventana LE that we ordered new in 2017, I agree that the standard Dutch Star of any year is worth the cost difference from the equivalent size and floor plan standard VTLE. However, three comments:

- there aren't comparable floor plans for every model of each, although probably more so in the 40' length you're considering. There are no Dutchstars in the 34' length we were considering and purchased.

- Second, because Newmar is more flexible about "specials" on coaches compared with other manufacturers, don't assume that any particular coach will have only the items on the standard plus options list for that model. Newmar will, and does, add items from more upscale coaches on the lower-range coaches that might just be the "must have" item you want.

- Lastly, even if Newmar won't do it, there are some things you can add yourself. For example, Newmar wouldn't put a drawer dishwasher in our VTLE so we added one after we got it. Same thing with a slide out tray in the passthrough compartment underneath. Newmar wouldn't do it so we added it. Both of them look like they came from the factory and provide that extra nice touch. However, the major things like engine/transmission, more floor, electric heated floor, you can't do aftermarket and IF THOSE THINGS ARE CRUCIAL FOR YOU then you should consider the Dutchstar.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
As the very happy owner of a Ventana LE that we ordered new in 2017, I agree that the standard Dutch Star of any year is worth the cost difference from the equivalent size and floor plan standard VTLE. However, three comments:

- there aren't comparable floor plans for every model of each, although probably more so in the 40' length you're considering. There are no Dutchstars in the 34' length we were considering and purchased.

- Second, because Newmar is more flexible about "specials" on coaches compared with other manufacturers, don't assume that any particular coach will have only the items on the standard plus options list for that model. Newmar will, and does, add items from more upscale coaches on the lower-range coaches that might just be the "must have" item you want.

- Lastly, even if Newmar won't do it, there are some things you can add yourself. For example, Newmar wouldn't put a drawer dishwasher in our VTLE so we added one after we got it. Same thing with a slide out tray in the passthrough compartment underneath. Newmar wouldn't do it so we added it. Both of them look like they came from the factory and provide that extra nice touch. However, the major things like engine/transmission, more floor, electric heated floor, you can't do aftermarket and IF THOSE THINGS ARE CRUCIAL FOR YOU then you should consider the Dutchstar.

To add to your point. Our Ventana had special ordered DS flooring and counter tops, as well as the coach and recliners. The driver and passenger seats were also specials. It made the value all the better.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #8

ADiamond,

Newmar makes an excellent coach no matter what model you get. I guess it all boils down to practicality and reality. The more you upgrade the more technology and other equipment goes into the coach, but that also creates more headaches with equipment failures down the road. Both the DS and Ventana are excellent coaches and I think you will be happy with either one. The one thing to look at is the past history of the coach. Most people take real good care of their coach and keep it up to date on service and equipment maintenance, but unfortunatley some don't do anything and just drive it until something fails. I would do a VIN check on the model you are considering and if possible talk with the previous owners. On the reality side this is a big investment so make sure that in addition to the original cost of the coach, you take into consideration Insurance costs, Maintenance Costs, Fuel Costs, and if you are financing the coach the monthly payments.

I was fortunate when I purchased my 2016 Ventana 3725 (used) the couple that had it before me took real good care of it. I am very happy with my Ventana. From my perspective I would recommend the Ventana.

JMcG
2016 VTDP 3725
JMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks!
Alan

It would seem that most who have responded did not see that you were not interested in the VTLE.
In either the 40' or 43' Ventanas, the ISL (8.9L) Cummins engine is used. The Dutch star is rated at 450HP while a 400HP version is used in the Ventana. They both are rated with 1250 ft/lbs of torque, however.

Settle on a floor plan that suits you and look at both, then make an informed decision. Good luck in your search. -Paul
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #10

Just looking at the engine side of your choice there is a big difference between a B series 6.7 engine and the L series 8.9. Out on the west coast with a lot of mountains and if towing the larger 8.9 engine would be a far better choice.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

IMHO there is just a little extra "bling" on the DS models compared to the Ventana models (not the LE), plus you get 50 more hp.

Our toad is heavier than many and I have yet to find myself climbing a grade and thinking to myself "darn, wish I had another 50 hp". I haul around right at 10,000 behind me and do great going up and down all the mountain passes we have encountered so far.

You just have to ask yourself if extra chrome outside, heated tile floors inside, and a couple other options is worth the extra money. For us being full time travelers it wasn't but it is wholly a personal decision. Both are excellent models and you can't go wrong.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #12

I do all my own maintenance so the side radiator was one of the reasons we went with the Dutch Star.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks!
Alan
I let a dealer consign my 2016 Ventana LE 4044 for $149K and he sold it. I think you should consider a 2016 Ventana. It has the star foundation and has the bigger cummins engine and of course comfort drive. I would think you can get the same year at this price point. I can tell you that I have owned both - and both are nice coaches - but the floor plan and options that best meet your requirements would be my driving choice. You should be able to get at least 2 or 3 years newer Ventana than Dutch Star for the same money- tires, batteries, engines, appliances, etc. will all be that much newer - something to think about. I can tell you that I didn't have any issues with the different leveling systems either. The boxes (house) is virtually the same - especially if the Ventana was optioned up by the original owner. Just something to consider!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

I agree with most of the comments. The bottom line is what's important to you.

You absolutely should look through the Newmar brochures in the back where all the specs are -- and compare features and brands and models and measurements.

I don't know about the 2014 model year you're interested in, but when our 2008 Kountry Star was made, it was positioned between the Ventana (bottom of the line back then), and the Dutch Star (top of Newmar's "regular" coach line then). Here are some of the features that were different then that were important to me. You need to check the 2014 brochures to see what was different then.

1) The KSDP had longer wheelbases than the Ventana -- length for length. We have a 3623. The equivalent Ventana had a 12" shorter wheelbase. A longer WB tracks better on the highway and is less likely to scrape its rear end on driveways.

2) The KSDP had aluminum wheels. Back then the Ventana didn't. I'm almost certain the 2014 Ventana has aluminum wheels, but check.

3) The KSDP had a Spartan chassie with side-mounted radiator. The Ventana had a Freightliner chassis with rear mounted radiator. I really really wanted the side-mounted radiator. It's already saved me close to $1,000 in service. Many things that are quick and easy on a side-mounted radiator chassis are a pain to do with the rear radiatior. Changing engine belts for example. The place that recently changed both my main serpentive belt and air-conditioner belt told me that just the day before he'd changed belts on a rear mounted radiator coach and it took him 1.75 hours to get the radiator shroud out of the way, and another 1.75 hours to get it back. At $125 - $150/hr for labor, that can add up. My side-mounted radiator chassis didn't require any of that. He just replaced both belts in less than half an hour.

4) Engine brake. My KSDP has a two-position engine brake. The Ventana that year had a one position exhaust brake. Engine brakes are more effective than exhaust brakes -- and having a high and low option is great.

5) Generator access. Back in 2008, both the Ventana and my Kountry Star had their generators bolted in -- and NOT on rails. Regular service can be done without removing the generator (coolant, oil changes, filter changes). But to check or replace the generator belts, the generator's housing has to be removed. And that can't be done with it inside the chassis. So on these cheaper coaches, a special fork lift is required to take the generator out for major service. On the Dutch Star, the generator is mounted on roll-out rails. Even I could check and change the belts on that generator -- but not mine. So when my generator fails because a belt wore out, it's gonna cost me. And my coach is now 12 years old -- so the clock is ticking.

6) IFS (Independent Front Suspension). Our KSDP has it -- the Ventana of that year didn't. And the 2016 Ventana LE that recently parked next us didn't have IFS either. IFS will give you a smoother quieter ride.

In all the above cases, the Dutch Star had all the "good stuff."

There are lots of other differences too, but you need to check them yourself to see what's important to you -- and what's not.

I don't know if automatic tracking (steering) tag axles were available on the long Ventanas in 2014 -- but in my opinion you most definitely want that feature. With a steering tag, I understand you can maneuver in even tighter
spaces than my 37 ft. KSDP. I would find this feature a deal-breaker myself.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventana, vent, dutch star