Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Dutch Star Order Questions

I am planning to order a 2016 Dutch Star 4369 and have a couple of questions.

1) Any reason to purchase the universal remote?

2) Based on our experience with automobile navigation systems, we have decided against the navigation dash radio. I presently use an iPad Mini with Co-pilot App. Any reason I should consider the nav radio? Is the technology any better than the auto Nav systems that I find to be frustratingly behind the technology curve.

Rex
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My universal remote is still in the box. Unlikely I'll ever use it and of everyone I've talked to that ordered it I don't recall anyone telling me they have ever set it up.

I also purchased the in dash nav system (Clarion), not really impressed with it and don't use the nav feature.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

I use an iPad mini as well, mounted to the left. The in-dash nav is a joke compared to Waze/Google, plus you can add truck and camping apps for reference as well. Save your dough.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I am planning to order a 2016 Dutch Star 4369 and have a couple of questions.

2) Based on our experience with automobile navigation systems, we have decided against the navigation dash radio. I presently use an iPad Mini with Co-pilot App. Any reason I should consider the nav radio? Is the technology any better than the auto Nav systems that I find to be frustratingly behind the technology curve.

Rex
Purchase the universal remote only if the dealer programs it. It's not a big add on and it can replace oh......about 6 remote controls. Otherwise it's a paper weight. Our dash navi is crap also i would have skipped it if I had the opportunity.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I don't think the auto navs can ever catch up to the phone/app navs. The technology innovation cycle is just way too fast for car makers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
2015 Newmar Death Star 4313
Remind me to watch out for this guy on the road!
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

I bought my 2016 dsdp off the lot and it had the clarion radio/nav installed. Dont like the clarion nav at all. I had a Garmin RV GPS that I installed. If you have the chance to save money on the clarion go for it.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
My universal remote is still in the box. Unlikely I'll ever use it and of everyone I've talked to that ordered it I don't recall anyone telling me they have ever set it up.

I also purchased the in dash nav system (Clarion), not really impressed with it and don't use the nav feature.
Agree.

The dealers don't know how to make it work either. Only half of the functions work on my Direct TV and it turns on more than one TV at a time no matter what you do.

My Garmin RV unit is way better as you can set the height, weight and length of you total unit. Updates are yearly and free.

Tell you what I would have done at build is get a 12V outlet on the dash to the drivers side of the steering column. Maybe two.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #8

Save your money and buy a better Logitech that is both ir and rf capable That way, you can operate the receiver without having to point the remote at it. We bought the universal remote (it is the cheapest Logitech that is available). It is a waste of money. If you really want it, order it from amazon for a lot less.

We ordered the coach with the standard sony radio, with Sirius capability and we use a garmin portable unit. we've been pleased with that setup. If I had it to do over, I'd try to get them to run an navigation antenna for the Kenwood unit (which is garmin based for trucks) for a subsequent installation of the Kenwood built in. I was going to have them install the xite unit there in nappanee when we went for delivery, and was close, but when I found out they were going to have to do a lot of work to run the external antenna, I abandoned that idea. it was going to cost north of 1500 bucks.
marky mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky mark View Post

Save your money and buy a better Logitech that is both ir and rf capable That way, you can operate the receiver without having to point the remote at it. We bought the universal remote (it is the cheapest Logitech that is available). It is a waste of money. If you really want it, order it from amazon for a lot less.

We ordered the coach with the standard sony radio, with Sirius capability and we use a garmin portable unit. we've been pleased with that setup. If I had it to do over, I'd try to get them to run an navigation antenna for the Kenwood unit (which is garmin based for trucks) for a subsequent installation of the Kenwood built in. I was going to have them install the xite unit there in nappanee when we went for delivery, and was close, but when I found out they were going to have to do a lot of work to run the external antenna, I abandoned that idea. it was going to cost north of 1500 bucks.
Does the standard Sony radio have blue tooth capability?
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
Does the standard Sony radio have blue tooth capability?
Yes.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #11

VP CHIANESE .......... I have a 2016 dutchstar 4369. I had a need for 12 vdc on the left side of the steering wheel so I gained access to the back of the single outlet below the radio. Pulled dash fronts off and ran wires over to the left side after tapping in. Got a 3 plug surface mount receptacle from oriellys and mounted it low out of the way. I also put in a small on off rocker switch. While I had the dash apart I ran the GPS power cable thru there since its mounted above the rear view camera display. Total cost about 9 bucks.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #12

I had them wire in two twelve volt outlets left of the steering wheel on the dash. It was very inexpensive. They are not switched, so you need to specify switched or hot all the time. I did not know this. Also, if you plan on having a TPMS repeater, have them wire a switched 12volt outlet in your aft storage bay - that will save you from my expensive lesson having it wired during delivery week.
marky mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #13

A few of the big dealers seem to spec a 12v socket on the left dash on every coach as a special. Mine came like that, and it's very handy. Newmar should probably just do it standard.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to drhines
We ordered the universal remote on our 2015 DS 4369. However have never used it as it is a programmer's nightmare. We still have our 4 or 5 remotes sitting out so I would forget it.

On my previous coach a 2010 Allegro Bus I deleted the Nav option as I have always hated those expensive worthless GPS's. On the new DS I ordered it simply for resale as ever coach I looked at had it. Me and my wife has used it often while traveling but the Clarion GPS is simply stupid. We travel with my Garmin Street Pilot which is very good, my wife's Garmin Nuvi which is adequate, and the best of all, her smart phone GPS, and then the Clarion. The Clarion Nav system rarely agrees unless you are traveling from Point A to Point B along interstate routes. What a waste of money. The only plus to the unit is the big screen so I can see the name of the song on SirusXM radio.

We also had Newmar add three 12volt outlets wired hot on left side of sterring column near the floor for running additional GPS, TPMS, etc which did not cost much.

Doug Hines
2015 DS 4369
drhines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star