RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #1

Dutch Star Purchase

Hi to all;
I am new to the site and have my first question. I am planning on purchasing a 2010 Dutch Star 4010. Does anyone have any negative knowledge regarding the Dutch Star or Newmar in general. Thanks for any response.

ExtenderFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum & irv2 ExtenderFE.
No I'D say you have the best of all worlds, the DS 4010 has Comfort Drive, well laid out floor plan and easy 40' that you can move around.
There are three Recalls on that model year but if you are getting new off the lot they maybe taken care of.
Welcome into Newmar family enjoy and many safe happy miles for you & yours.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Dutch Star Purchase

I'm currently considering purchasing a 2010 Dutch Star 4010. Does anyone have any negative knowledge regarding the Dutch Star or Newmar in general. (I currently own a 2003 HR Scepter). I'm not familiar (comfortable) with the Hydronic Zone Propane Heating System and the Comfort Drive steering system. Any comments on these two items? Thanks for any response.
ExtenderFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I've owned Newmar's since 1998 and the qaulity of both build and service are excellent. I don't personally have the comfort steer since my unit is an '07 which was a year too early for it. I have heard nothing but praise for the comfort steer system and haven't heard of a single problem associated with it from anyone. I have test driven a coach with it and though it was a little easier it would not be a deal breaker for me one way or the other. I can't help on the hydronic heating, it looks to be a good idea and has been around for a while but I do read of many people having problems (although minor) with these across multiple brands.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

We had on 02 Dutchstar and now have 0n 06 Dutchstar. Both have been excellent coaches and we're pleased we bought a Newmar. Factory delivery is well worth the cost---the techs at the factory tweaked our coach and thoroughly explained everything about it. We stayed at the factory about a week, ran everything, drove it around and then had the techs tweak it again. It has made for trouble-free ownership. Joe.
joelyn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
We had on 02 Dutchstar and now have 0n 06 Dutchstar. Both have been excellent coaches and we're pleased we bought a Newmar. Factory delivery is well worth the cost---the techs at the factory tweaked our coach and thoroughly explained everything about it. We stayed at the factory about a week, ran everything, drove it around and then had the techs tweak it again. It has made for trouble-free ownership. Joe.

You only can get factory delivery on a ordered coach. You won't be able to get factory delivery on a 2010 model.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up NEWMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
Factory delivery is well worth the cost---the techs at the factory tweaked our coach and thoroughly explained everything about it. We stayed at the factory about a week, ran everything, drove it around and then had the techs tweak it again. It has made for trouble-free ownership.
Don't you deduct the cost of delivery from the Dealer's cost again? The Dealer does not do the delivery check etc.
If I buy new again, it's FACTORY. Was not at all happy with the Dealers 'stuff'. After over 3 years I'm still upset.

On Klub (NKK) meetings I see LOTS of Dutch Stars.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The factory delivery is additional with no credit for not taking dealer delivery.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
The factory delivery is additional with no credit for not taking dealer delivery.
That makes me cry... and the Dealer smile

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
No credit for factory delivery instead of dealer delivery can easily be remedied. With only a one year warranty, one can bid out the coach via the Internet to every Newmar dealer. The dealers' know they will not do delivery. That may be $s they give up quite quickly to ensure they are a low priced dealer. It really does not matter which "buckets" the discount dollars come from. One just wants to make sure they are getting the best price possible.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Own a 2006 DSDP -happy ....... as for your purchase with Comfort Drive and a Spartan Chassis etc. etc. - if you hesitate - I will buy your 2010 and sell you my 2006 !!!
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I was at Newmar sitting at the desk of one of the higher up gentlemen. (Can't mention name.) I asked about taking delivery at the factory vs taking delivery at the dealer. He told me the dealer should give an $800 additional discount off the motorhome if a buyer takes factory delivery. He told me not to quote him, but he had figures to back up his claim.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree that the dealer "should" give a credit, but I don't recall anyone posting that they received a credit.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Every negotiation is unique.We had the factory delivery included after we had made our deal. It wasn't discussed until after we negotiated the price, but because of timing issues we ended up taking delivery at the dealer. Within reason any price for factory delivery is a good deal. On highline they spend 2 weeks going over the coach and testing all the systems. Then the owners spend a week living in the coach and the techs show the owners how everything works. I recommend that if you take factory delivery, after a couple days if everything is going ok, you leave and go to a close campground for a couple days and then come back to Newmar for your remaining time. This way you drive the coach around and do a dry run on the coach.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote