Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #15

Thanks for everyone’s input

It seems that Spartan is more popular. So what is better about it?

The dealer says FL has 600 service centers around the country , compared to Spartans 150, is that important?
Rv4Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Dutch Star Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv4Travel View Post
I’m new here so don’t laugh. On the link about abbreviations is say HWH is hot water heater but that doesn’t fit. So what is HWH?

HWH as referenced in this thread is a company that builds RV leveling, slide out systems and active suspension
https://www.hwhcorp.com/
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #17

Good info here. I’m in the middle of the same decision and I like the 3736 for the size and maneuverability but the extra counter space, bigger bed, higher towing capacity and ride quality of the 4018 may win out.
Tilzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #18

Rv4Travel, usually when a dealer makes statements like that it is showing a bias, many times unfounded. Yes if you look at the service center for both Spartan and FL, FL has many more locations. But that doesn't mean much since many FL locations either don't want to work on coaches or don't have the experience and sometimes the tools to do so.

Look at the two companies service websites, include where you live and may travel and you may find that it is a non starter. And if you think about it almost any service center, either brand can do the maintenance that is normal. The engine, transmission, drive systems, air bag, axles are all shared across both brands.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Just get the 43' on a Spartan chassis and don't look back... There's nothing worst then having buyers remorse on a 300k plus purchase...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #20

Just to be accurate, the tag isn't "steerable", it is a "passive" steering system following the steer axle. The only control the driver has is to lock it straight (manual) or dump the air bags so it carries no load.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #21

The Spartan chassis has thicker frame rails, cross members,better wiring and 250 excellent service centers. Fl is still having problems with tag axles which you can go to irv2 forum for Freight Liner and read about.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Consider where you will be camping. RV park/resort or state/national campground? Will you be a weekend warrior or full-timer or something in between. How many grand children will be with you in the coach on those rainy days? I don't have grandchildren yet but have camped with guests in our 39' coach. 2-3 days of that is pretty much our limit. 43' coach could extend that a bit perhaps.
I would love a tag and comfort drive but that's not in my budget yet.
I am a fan of the Spartan chassis. I get my annual service completed at their factory service center in Michigan. Top notch service there.

All the best with your decision and safe travels!

Cheers
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Make some calls.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv4Travel View Post
It seems that Spartan is more popular. So what is better about it?

The dealer says FL has 600 service centers around the country , compared to Spartans 150, is that important?

Make some PHONE CALLs to each service center and ask them when you can get your New Motorhome in for a repair (Make it up), the first 5000 service, and what their hourly rate is.
My service center charges $158.00 for MH and $125.00 for trucks for the same services.
Just make some calls. I had the choice and now believe I made the wrong choice.
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #24

For over 20 plus years and 3 different Newmar's all on Spartan chassis have been very pleased with Spartan service locations. FL is big but that doesn't mean there good. Many FL owners we have talked to said they were told at FL that they were on vacation and would go to the back of service because their #1 was their truck business.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #25

Few comments on 37' vs 40'. In 2015 we looked at and drove the 37' cause that was all the length we needed but the 40' came with a king bed and could be changed to a queen which gave more bedroom room and larger night stands.

The 450 HP propelled the 37' like a rocket but we didn't realize how much the tag and extra weight would drag the performance down with the 40'.

The 37' has as much outside storage room as the 40' since the tag takes up room on both sides of the coach.

Our first 3 coaches were non-tag and traveling across Kansas on I-70 2-4 times a year for over 20 years the tag didn't seem to make much difference in handling and ride. The Comfort Drive probably made more difference than the tag, especially in the strong cross-winds that are always there.

No experience with the Spartan chassis but have 3 FL shops within 90-100 miles of home, which I've definitely needed several times with this 2015 DS.

Just one owner's observations and opinions.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star