Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star Roof Drains?

It takes the better part of a day to wash and detail the exterior of our Dutch Star. That is something I "enjoy" but it goes with the ownership of the RV. The biggest disappointment is that in a few days, especially in the fall with the deluge of leaves coming down and subsequent rain fall, that the rear quarter panels have water streaks coming down from the roof. There are small tubes in the gutter on the rear of the roof which might be drains but they don't function as such. If these tubes are drains how does one clean them and keep them functioning?

rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

Geoff,
I discussed this issue while at Newmar earlier this year. The tech advised I should use an air hose and blow the tubes out. With the current design, not sure what else can be done. I also try to keep the screens on the top of the drains clear to maximize drainage.

Allen

wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #3

Following my purchase, I went up on the roof to wash it down and noticed one drain was clogged. I sprayed high pressure water directly into the drain and it would not unclog. I next went below and solved the problem. I found the drain line has an extension - a flat piece of rubber, that is connect to the drain line. I assume it is flat to prevent dirt-dobbers and other creatures from entering the drain line from the ground and building nests and otherwise clogging it. What I did successfully was pinch the flat sides of the extension to open it which allowed dirt and other small debris to flow out. No problem since. Hope this helps.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

These roof drains are a joke. Way too small in diameter to be effective and the plastic 'screen' is just as bad. Mine are constantly clogged. I usually blow them out from below with air pressure but the problem is that because the clog is at the top of the tube from debris that has gotten around the screen, blowing them out doesn't always work. The debris blows out of the tube but not out past the screen and then can potentially just clog the tube again. Really poor design.
If I'm aired down I can't even blow them out. If I go up on the roof I have to remove and then reseal the screen to clear the clog.

It's okay for a man to smell like bacon.
Italian Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
It takes the better part of a day to wash and detail the exterior of our Dutch Star. That is something I "enjoy" but it goes with the ownership of the RV. The biggest disappointment is that in a few days, especially in the fall with the deluge of leaves coming down and subsequent rain fall, that the rear quarter panels have water streaks coming down from the roof. There are small tubes in the gutter on the rear of the roof which might be drains but they don't function as such. If these tubes are drains how does one clean them and keep them functioning?
Got any pictures? ... this is interesting. Apparently a different system from my older Essex.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The few times I saw rain it seemed the roof water came out the front cap to the ground. Now in Texas I'm seeing more rain showers and the roof air conditioners are running water down the side of the coach, and of course right over the door so you get rained on when you go out. Called customer service yesterday and he told me there were no roof "drains" that the water has to go somewhere and off the side it goes, so just jack up the right side of the coach so the water will run elsewhere. I did that and now the water runs out the left side of the coach, under the front cap, to the ground. So obviously there is a drain system up there. I've never been on my roof, I have a disc injury, plus don't have a ladder tall enough.

I did get my rig washed and the fellows did the climb on the shoulders routine to get up there. If there is a roof drain system, maybe it got plugged by the inexperienced washer crew. Just surprised that customer service said there wasn't any drains. Seems I remember reading about that somewhere. The water streaks down the side of my freshly washed coach is quite ugly.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is a drain in each corner of the roof. Like any drain these can get clogged, especially if parked under trees. This is no different than the gutters on my house having to be cleaned occasionally to remove material.

Apparently Newmar used to run drain tubes from the A/C units and through the roof. I was told they discontinued these as they would eventually clog, with mold if nothing else, and were difficult to impossible to clean. Besides, they would not drain rain water.

No matter how large the holes are there will always be something larger that can clog them. The size has to be such as to keep as much debris capable of clogging the lines out as possible yet large enough to drain as much water as possible.

I've cleaned ours a couple of times but we've experienced a couple of frog strangler rains that would have required a drain three foot in diameter. For whatever reason, the right rear drain on ours seems to be where the majority of water runs too thus it is also the first to clog.

I'm not sure a "perfect" solution exists. Home ownership, whether a conventional stick & brick or on wheels takes some effort and maintenance.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
There is a drain in each corner of the roof. Like any drain these can get clogged, especially if parked under trees. This is no different than the gutters on my house having to be cleaned occasionally to remove material.

Apparently Newmar used to run drain tubes from the A/C units and through the roof. I was told they discontinued these as they would eventually clog, with mold if nothing else, and were difficult to impossible to clean. Besides, they would not drain rain water.

No matter how large the holes are there will always be something larger that can clog them. The size has to be such as to keep as much debris capable of clogging the lines out as possible yet large enough to drain as much water as possible.

I've cleaned ours a couple of times but we've experienced a couple of frog strangler rains that would have required a drain three foot in diameter. For whatever reason, the right rear drain on ours seems to be where the majority of water runs too thus it is also the first to clog.

I'm not sure a "perfect" solution exists. Home ownership, whether a conventional stick & brick or on wheels takes some effort and maintenance.
Jay,
How did you clean yours, from the top, or blowing air/water up from the outlet on the bottom?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Jay,
How did you clean yours, from the top, or blowing air/water up from the outlet on the bottom?
From the top. Blowing air through may dislodge anything caught in the tube, but isn't going to remove anything on the roof.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	715.6 KB
ID:	153633
Take grating off on roof and stick 3/8" hose down drain line and blast with water.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Careful with the air pressure when blowing them down. I would keep the pressure below 30 with a regulator otherwise they might burst inside the wall.

8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, roof