Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Dutch Star vs Essex

My parents are in the market for a 42-45 tag axle coach. Specifically Newmar.

They have apparently set their sights on a 2007 Dutch Star 4320 with a 400 ISL Cummins.

I would say this is not your average Dutch Star as the current owner purchased factory direct and has just about all the upgrades Newmar offered at the time.

Knowing that Dutch Star is ranked below the Essex among the Newmar lines, my father would like to know what the main differences are between an '07 Dutch Star and '07 Essex in terms of Ride, Suspension, Steering components, transmissions, etc.

All your help is greatly appreciate in helping our family make a solid decision. We have also looked at the Essex line however the price/condition of this particular Dutch Star is unparalleled to most Essex's or Dutch Stars on todays market.

Thank you!
RHURRICANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The Dutch Star is (at least) two steps below the Essex. The Mountain Aire is between them, as was the Dutch Aire which was only built for a couple years.

The Essex is on the Spartan K2 chassis with the 500 HP Cummins ISM engine. That's a significant step up from the 400 HP ISL. I don't remember what chassis the Dutch Star had that year. The Essex probably also has Comfort Drive, which the Dutch Star would not have had (that year, anyway).

You can get the old brochures here: http://www.newmarcorp.com/resources/...ochure-archive

The 2007 EXDP brochure is there. The 2007 DSDP is not, but the 2006 one is. Since the 2006 brochure has the 4320 in it, there's probably not much difference between the two years.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #3

Check the brochure archive at Newmar's web site: Newmar archive.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we were recently looking to trade/upgrade, we also were focusing on Newmar's Dutch Star, Mountain Aire and Essex in the '06 model year. While we saw differences in trim and some 'comfort' options between the Dutch Star and the Mountain Aire, the difference between the DS and the Essex were quite a bit different. The Essex is certainly a more fully featured (comfort and luxury) than the DS. As noted, it is on a heavier chassis and has the 500hp ISM. In fact, the ISM was something of which we were wary since we did not want to be feeding such a large engine. We noted a marked difference in the detail and quality of the cabinet work, upholstery, and overall interior plushiness with the Essex.

In the end, we got a great deal on the coach in my signature but would have had no problem with the Newmars if we had found one in the condition we would accept. It continues to amaze us how folks can pay so much for really nice class A motorhomes and take such poor care of them.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Essex probably had a $200,000 higher list price than the DS, so there's quite a bit of difference between them.

The Essex has more bells and whistles, higher grade furniture, fabrics, and interior materials. It's a great coach.

The Essex has a heavier chassis, K2 on the Essex and Mountain Master on the DS, both are by Spartan.

They both have Cummins engines, with the Essex having a larger and more powerful one.

Both have very similar 6 speed Allison automatic transmissions.

Suspension components are similar with the Essex having higher weight ratings.

These are not comparable coaches as noted above, the Essex is 2 models higher than the DS and much more expensive.

I had 2007 DS and it met my wants and needs perfectly.

BTW, one cannot buy factory direct, all sales must be through dealers.

However, customers can work with factory reps regarding options and custom modifications as I did.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

Thank you so far for all your feedback. I understand that DS is at the bottom of the Newmar line. Prior to posting, my parents and I understand the "interior" differences between the Essex and Dutch Star.

Our main concern and reason for creating this thread in regards to the DS is in regards to the actual components the do the work as I originally posted such as Chassis,Ride, Suspension, Transmission, etc. Yes, you get what you pay for in a way so it has been no surprise that every Essex we have seen has a much different look than this particular DS although I wouldnt exactly say night and day different but they are obvious details/plush ness in the Essex that are absent in the DS.

So long as the differences in construction, ride, suspension, etc as mentioned are not a concern, we will proceed in the negotiation process with this particular owner.

Thanks again for all your help
RHURRICANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Ouch!

In 2007 the DS, was in the middle of the lineup, 2 models below and 2 above.

The Dutch Star has been Newmar's most successful coach.

There are no concerns regarding Dutch Stars in general, but an inspection of all systems, chassis components, drivetrain and sidewalls would be in order.

In that time frame Newmar and other manufacturers had problems with the sidewall supplier with some checking, small cracks or unevenness in the sidewalls on SOME coaches.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
In that time frame Newmar and other manufacturers had problems with the sidewall supplier with some checking, small cracks or unevenness in the sidewalls on SOME coaches.
Yep, ours has it, Newmar buffed the paint out in 2004. Now they want $18,000 to replace the side even though the problem was reported during the warranty period and they said the buffing would take care of it. Even so we're looking at Newmars when we buy again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Ouch!

In 2007 the DS, was in the middle of the lineup, 2 models below and 2 above.

The Dutch Star has been Newmar's most successful coach.
I was going to answer the remark about the DS being the lowest model but I'd probably have been banned for what I wanted to post!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
2007 Essex should not have checking issues, they started using the new sidewall on 2007.
12.5 generator with AGS
Villa funiture vs Flexsteel
3 ac/heat pumps
aqua hot hydronic heat/hot water
upgraded electronics HD televisions
active air suspension
2 or 4 patio awnings
frameless windows
better paint more clearcoat cut and biff
Eplex system could be a + or a -
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
It is unfair to compare a DS with an Essex. The DS will come up short in every department. Kind of like comparing a Chevy with a Cadillac, but more so. The Essex is better in many many ways.

However the Dutchstar is a fine coach in its price range, and compares extremely well against its peers. The Essex is not its peer.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #12

Actually the 07 Essex does have the problem. According to Ken Miller who is the service mgr at Newmar, they started getting the new fiberglass in 2008 and started using it on the 2008 King Aire first, then later in the model year the 2008 Essex. Some 2008 Mountain Aire's have the problem. A friend's had to be resided.

So the problem can exist in 2007 models and some 2008's. Watch closely for the beginning of checking.

We had our 2006 Essex re-sided in 2011 and Newmar did a wonderful job. It looks brand new (as of course it should!)
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
The Essex is full of electronics, how adapt is your father in handling systems, the DS has some but maybe easier for him to handle.
Has he ever had a DP and driven one or had a RV with many systems for operations?
In 08 Newmar added Comfort Drive in their coach's saving the money for a 08 DS may work out better.

08 DSDP Brochure-----08 Owners Guide----07 Essex Owners Guide for

comparison 2007 Essex Brochure

Good luck which ever way you go both in common, there a Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #14

We have a DS 4320 with 42,000 miles and are extremely pleased with it. I have an acquaintance with an Essex and we have compared notes on both models several times. That Essex is a good bit heavier than my DS, so that extra 100 hp and 200 ft. Lbs. of torque are pretty well used up with the extra weight. Mine actually performs better in the mountains with similar toads. There is no comparison to the extra bling and comfort systems in the Essex, and it is two ft. longer with the extra bath. I would probably have the Essex, but that was a lot of extra investment. That ISM just costs more to operate than my ISL, but in the overall scheme of things, the depreciation is the biggest cost. Both are excellent motor homes. It's just what your needs and financial ability will permit. That third a/c unit on the Essex would be nice sometimes.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote