RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star vs Ventana

We are debating whether a 2015 Dutch Star 3736 or a Ventana 4037 is a better choice for us. Being a retired couple there is really no reason for the larger RV. The main reason for the discussion is the difference in ride comfort or smoothness especially over our much deteriorating Interstate Highway system. Does the tag axle significantly improve the ride quality or is it mainly required to handle the heavier loads? We are recreational RVers so there is no need for the additional storage capacity.

rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Comfort Drive is on both and would make up for any road handling on either coach.
Larger coach will carry more stuff that you do not need unless you were to go full time in the future.
If you did go FT than decide if you wanted to move up to DS many are happy with the Ventana upgrade options in latest 2015-16 models.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It really depends on what you are use to and what you are planing. I like the longer, tag axle of the Ventana. We would have loved to found a 40' Newmar floor plan that worked but for our FT needs the shorter coach and smaller basement just doesn't work.

OTOH...if we were weekend warriors and other non-FT use it would be great. However, we would have to look closely at the 37' DSDP at that time.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The side radiator of the DS is good, the tag of the Vantana is good. I really like the 4037 floor plan. I would personally probably write the check for the Vantana.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rg Neumann,
Consider looking at the brochures for each coach (you can download them from the Newmar site). Go through the specs/features. You may find a bunch of little things that could sway you one way or another.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
We are debating whether a 2015 Dutch Star 3736 or a Ventana 4037 is a better choice for us. Being a retired couple there is really no reason for the larger RV. The main reason for the discussion is the difference in ride comfort or smoothness especially over our much deteriorating Interstate Highway system. Does the tag axle significantly improve the ride quality or is it mainly required to handle the heavier loads? We are recreational RVers so there is no need for the additional storage capacity.
We have a 2015 Ventana 4037. We debated getting a DS 4018 (same floor plan). What you gain in the DS is Independent Front Suspension (IFS), Side radiator, 450 HP engine. Those items you can't add to a VT. On the interior you get all wood cabinets and multiplex lighting. The cabinets you CAN add to a VT, the multiplex lighting you CAN'T. The finishes on the interior are different between the two but, if ordering, you can make them virutally identical. You can get heated floors on the DS but not on the VT.

For 2016, the DS has another added advantage, not available on the VT, the new slide out with tiled floors.

Your comparison is a bit of Apples vs Oranges though. The floor plans are different. The VT has a TAG. Even with comfort drive on both, I feel a TAG has a much more stable feel at highway speeds than a non TAG. Also the CCC of the TAG is beyond what you could possibly put in a 40' MH.

I personally was sold on getting a TAG in the shortest floor plan possible. So a option maxed out Ventana 4037 won out over the DS 4018 for cost reasons. Also the DS 4018 with a TAG and side radiator looses even more exterior storage over a TAG 4037.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
We have a 2015 Ventana 4037. We debated getting a DS 4018 (same floor plan). .....
I tried to order a slide topper for my 2014 4037 kitchen slide. The DS4018 has one, but the Ventana 4037 doesn't.
My dealer phoned Newmar, and they said that a slide topper wouldn't fit on a 4037 because it would get hit by the Dometic awning.
I was surprised and a little miffed by this, as there is no protection for the kitchen slide if you have to bring in your awning during a rain storm with lots of wind.
So I guess the Ventana 4037 is not EXACTLY like the Dutch Star 4018. I thought only interior finishes and two mascerator toilets and the fancy lights were basically the only real differences (besides side radiator and IFS, of course).
Rob
Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #8
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadder View Post
I tried to order a slide topper for my 2014 4037 kitchen slide. The DS4018 has one, but the Ventana 4037 doesn't.
My dealer phoned Newmar, and they said that a slide topper wouldn't fit on a 4037 because it would get hit by the Dometic awning.
I was surprised and a little miffed by this, as there is no protection for the kitchen slide if you have to bring in your awning during a rain storm with lots of wind.
So I guess the Ventana 4037 is not EXACTLY like the Dutch Star 4018. I thought only interior finishes and two mascerator toilets and the fancy lights were basically the only real differences (besides side radiator and IFS, of course).
Rob
They are the same floor plan but there are LOTS of little differences between a DS and a VT. I forgot to mention the awnings.

I assume you meant the living room slide since that's the one that is covered by the Dometic awning. The kitchen on a 4037 is on the FWS. But my 2015 VT 4037 has slide toppers on all three slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	99757  

Old 07-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
They are the same floor plan but there are LOTS of little differences between a DS and a VT. I forgot to mention the awnings.

I assume you meant the living room slide since that's the one that is covered by the Dometic awning. The kitchen on a 4037 is on the FWS. But my 2015 VT 4037 has slide toppers on all three slides.
That's really interesting that yours has your kitchen in the FWS. My kitchen is in the slide adjacent to the door. Be that as it may, I don't see why a 2015 VT4037 can have three slides, but a 2014 can't. Back to the dealer I go.
Thank you for your input, newmarpusher.
Rob
Old 07-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The price difference between the DS 3736 and Ventana 4037 is almost a wash. DS has heated floors and all electric kitchen and many other less expensive upgrades. All of them are nice but not essential. The DS has an IFS but what kind of suspension does the Ventana have? None of the dealers have outlined the difference but honestly I never asked? Is it an important difference?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #11

We just bought a 2015 DSDP 4369 and are extremely pleased! The comfort drive is excellent! We looked at the 4018 DSDP for the tag axle but in the end the extra room of the 4369 was very nice for us! We felt that one of the big selling points was the aft bath and closet being as large as it was. We have been paring down what we carry! We also felt the tag axle was important for over the road stability. As far as other important features, The all electric is excellent and wouldn't have it any other way! The XCR Chassis is definitely up to the task of the high mountain passes of Colorado, the power is very adequate and the two stage compression brake is excellent. One thing, I will say on the negative is the Clarion NX602 navigation is inferior to other products and we have since replaced it with the Garmin RV760LMT which does a nice job! Good Luck with your choice !!

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadder View Post
That's really interesting that yours has your kitchen in the FWS. My kitchen is in the slide adjacent to the door. Be that as it may, I don't see why a 2015 VT4037 can have three slides, but a 2014 can't. Back to the dealer I go.
Thank you for your input, newmarpusher.
Rob
Sorry Rob, i had a senior moment. I was thinking of the "Kitchen" as the dinette, refrigerator and pantry. Yes, my passenger side slide out has the living room couch AND the kitchen counter top.

But I DO have a slide topper on that slide as shown in the photo.

Tags
dutch star, vent