Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Not at all. If not for others doing the same I wouldn't have known what "ballpark" number to shoot for.

On the VT it was 28.2 with CPU
On the DS it was 28.7 with CPU

Neither included state taxes or registration fees.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I faced this dilemma and still do, simply because DS is more of a status symbol I believe. DS is definitely the most popular, they are all over the place here at Newmar (having just completed FPU) both in customers and seeing them on site. I am hearing Ventanas are becoming more popular as starting in 16, even more so in 17 they have really bumped up to DS glitz. Mine is optioned with everything available for the most part that I recall.

I've even looked at MA and LA pictures on the Newmar web site and they just don't appeal to me. So it's really what your style is on the inside as to what you really like. I love my VT 4037. The square footage across all coaches of equal length are essentially the same. As you know it's the fit/finish, driver seat differences, leather quality, etc. I'm impressed with mine, I was concerned. Yeah, I think the larger wheels on the DS look cooler but will be more expensive to replace, the side radiator makes access to engine things easier but I don't be doing that work. I'm sure I'd screw something up costing me money later to have corrected if not damaged.

DS and up have better paint "cut and buff" so you don't feel the lines between the colors if that matters to you. Bottom line, IMHO is that you go larger, you pay more over time. Larger engines mean more cost to maintain, more cost for fuel. My coach may have a 400 HP engine but my coach weights 36K lbs. A MA may have a larger engine but weighs 20K more. So if you're expecting to feel acceleration off the stop light, you won't. Mountains, etc. I'm guessing will be the same for all as it's HP to weight ratios.

Get what you will be happy with. I showed up at Newmar concerned for second guessing my decision as I went to my dealer wanting a DS and he talked me into an optioned up VT and I was pleasantly surprised in the end. It's the same as when I bought a boat 5 years ago. I wanted new and bigger but I found a barely used boat (Chapparal) on craigslist from someone sending their first child to college and didn't enjoy boating, come to find out they enjoyed RV'ing more. The light didn't click for me back then. Well, I have been thrilled with that boat that cost me $20-30K less than what I was getting into and I enjoy it far more. I know I am going to absolutely love this VT.

P.S. I bartered my FPU down as part of the purchase paying 2K instead of 3600 it was at the time I purchased.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
I just received quotes from several highly recommended dealers for both DS and VT 4310 models. Consistently the difference was around $58K - $62K difference after discounts, right around $350 a month difference.

I'm leaning towards the VT, definitely some based on cost, and some because my wife and I personally like a lot of the styling better in the VT. It gets 90% of my wish list so their are compromises. Sure I would love the Girard package, HWH slide out on the full wall, and nested floors, but I will get to the campground in style and definitely enjoy the creature comforts. I don't have the ability to do my own maintenance so rear radiator is what it is.

Bill

I started out at the same differences in cost, but then added the chrome mirrors, fiberglass roof, insulation, lights in cabinets, solid floors into bedroom and a few other items and the gap narrowed buy $10k retail
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This was a fully optioned VT against a fully optioned DS. So I included the chrome mirrors, full tile, power reels, etc. Granted the DS quote included things not available on the VT. Any specials that are options in the DS would close the gap some.

Bill
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I know this seems small, but are the gas pedals still different. When I was shopping during the '15 models, the VT had a floor mounted gas pedal instead of the standard automotive type adjustable pedal. People back then were complaing about the comfort level.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Pedals are hung but non-adjustable.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
If you don't mind, what % off have you been seeing?
I got 30% off on a 2018 DS 4369 after I told him I would go buy an Allegro Bus if I couldn't get the discount I wanted... It would have to be a order witch I'm totally good with especially because I do want a 18 since there is no difference in the discount amount % and ill be able to save a years worth of deprecation... They did low-ball me on my trade but I'm good with that I shouldn't have much of a problem selling my Newmar toyhauler and be able to pull an extra 10k plus which really isn't much of difference in the payment but better in my pocket then there's.... There telling me Sept for delivery!
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
I got 30% off on a 2018 DS 4369 after I told him I would go buy an Allegro Bus if I couldn't get the discount I wanted... It would have to be a order witch I'm totally good with especially because I do want a 18 since there is no difference in the discount amount % and ill be able to save a years worth of deprecation... They did low-ball me on my trade but I'm good with that I shouldn't have much of a problem selling my Newmar toyhauler and be able to pull an extra 10k plus which really isn't much of difference in the payment but better in my pocket then there's.... There telling me Sept for delivery!

Thank very much for sharing.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventana, newmar