Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star will not crank/start

2005 Dutchstar 4010 with a Cummins ISL 370. Noticed voltage appeared to be low when attepmting to start. I tried to bridge the batteries, but only slow cranked. One battery was 9 volts the other was 7.5. They were 3 years old, I replaced the (2) 950 ccas with (2) 1100 ccas. Now the diesel will not even crank. The 7.5K Onan starts fine. The dash lights up and gauges cycle, showing 12.5 volts. The batteries measure the same. What am I missing?
bbqdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bbqdad,
Welcome to iRV2. I'm a bit confused. Did you replace the chassis batteries? If so, re-check the connections. Make sure they are correct, clean and tight. I suggest this because it is the only thing that changed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome bbqdad to the Newmar forum.
Once you have your batteries straighten out maybe you need to check this thread which explains the charging circuit for all your batteries. If your able to keep your MH plugged into a 110v source batteries shouldn't lose their charge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks 007 for the charging diagram. Once I get the coach started, I can check it out. I've cleaned the cables, checked that they are installed correctly,and are tight. Is there are resettable circuit breaker somewhere? I've checked every fuse I could find in the battery/chassis circuit. I thought of the transmission "Neutral lock-out" as the symptoms are the same when you turn the key, but the transmission pad shows normal?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Have you checked your ground cables where they attached to the frame, especially for the engine and batteries.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bbqdad,
My assumptions are that all the batteries (chassis & coach) are at 12.5 VDC or higher. The engine will not crank even when pressing the button that joins the coach and chassis batteries together. If this is correct, the problem may lie in the front left (under the driver's window) basement bay. This is where (as far as I know) all the automotive fuses and relays are located. I can not help with which of the fuses or relays might be the problem. There should be a legend on the right hand side of the compartment.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #7

There are some small red and black cables that connect to the batteries. Is it possible one of those cable fell down behind the batteries and did not get reconnected?
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdad View Post
2005 Dutchstar 4010 with a Cummins ISL 370. Noticed voltage appeared to be low when attepmting to start. I tried to bridge the batteries, but only slow cranked. One battery was 9 volts the other was 7.5. They were 3 years old, I replaced the (2) 950 ccas with (2) 1100 ccas. Now the diesel will not even crank. The 7.5K Onan starts fine. The dash lights up and gauges cycle, showing 12.5 volts. The batteries measure the same. What am I missing?
YOU (THE FORUM) FOUND IT!!!. It was a double problem... there's a resettable circuit breaker on the back wall of the battery box. It is a 3 x 3 black phenolic block with pushbutton reset. The reset is a little square area right in the center that is hard see. The second was a loose battery to chassis ground wire. The moral of the story, don't chase power first....The ground HAS to be there to function (it's probably what helped to kill the batteries). Thank you all for your help as each of you helped toput puzzle together....and thanks to 007, I'mchecking the charging circuit this afternoon.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on solving the problem and posting what you found.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job bbqdad & thanks for follow up.
Not sure you have same setup for charging as I have but on the solenoid left side there is a 5 amp fuse holder that caused my ignition system not to function, coach wouldn't start.
The 5 amp fuse has a green wire with female spade clip that some how popped up out of fuse holder. Tuft to get fuse back in holder its upside down and my fingers don't bend to easy. Had to use looong nose pliers to hold wire clip in holder while pushing up on fuse, wallah got in place and engine started.
Tried to turn the fuse holder to face to front but its behind second nut and didn't want to loosen because of internal parts of solenoid.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote