Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
DutchStar bedroom slide pops and jerks

Hey fellow friends.

On our way to Florida for a while on our 3 month trip. Stopped in GA this evening and when we were running the bedrooom Slide out, it makes terrible pops, jumps and makes bad noises. Sound slioke its off a track? Skipping.?

A little help here would be really appreciated. Can I fix it myself, im pretty handy and have lots of tools.

I cant find much on the forum on the mechanism i have. Thanks.

Scott & Kris.....Zepp too.
Schask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #2

We had what sounds like the same problem with the passenger side bdrm slide. We waited until we got to Nappanee to have it corrected. Newmar service tech said it was the stop(s) out of adjustment. The noise on ours occurred when it was almost all the way out.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
Nuk

Our 2017 Bay Star is obviously nowhere near your Dutch Star - however we had a similar sounding issue with our bedroom slide. The top would catch when putting the slide out and then it would suddenly let go and make a pop noise. I narrowed it down to the protective metal casing on the slide topper. It's just poorly engineered. I removed the metal part, connected the topper material to the RV rail (it just slides in and out) and the problem was solved.
Nuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a problem similar to what you described. Ours was a broken tooth in the slide motor.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Had the same type of problem with bedroom slide. The noise was unsettling and decided to keep bedroom slide retracted until Newmare repaired it. The slide appeared out of alignment and the outside reveal was no longer uniform.

Dealer repaired it, motor, gears and track required to be tightened, or replaced.

No more detail since it was under extended warranty, but mechanic said it would of cost thousands.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

If your BR slide is like mine it's the easiest of the three to trouble shoot. I would lift the bed & panel's & inspect. Don't see anything? Leave the bed up & observe a cycle. The "mechanism" is robust, the controller (C Storm) has no adjustment and the motor/gear reduction is sealed no adjustment there either. Weakest link component wise is the gear reduction & motor mount. Has something come loose? Have you been keeping up on checking motor mount fasteners? Something has changed & I'm assuming it has been working for four years without a hitch.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schask View Post
Hey fellow friends.

On our way to Florida for a while on our 3 month trip. Stopped in GA this evening and when we were running the bedrooom Slide out, it makes terrible pops, jumps and makes bad noises. Sound slioke its off a track? Skipping.?

A little help here would be really appreciated. Can I fix it myself, im pretty handy and have lots of tools.

I cant find much on the forum on the mechanism i have. Thanks.

Scott & Kris.....Zepp too.
Had the same problem, picture of Motor after Nappanee changed it... yes bedroom slide on a 2015 Dutch Star 4018. Hope the pic turns out okay!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48B7F706-F4EF-4DF2-89B2-8E77D0A6AA30.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	230869   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7D94DA1-CFBA-4CAD-95DC-9084418D7CF5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	230870  

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8B2BF4C-9B73-40B1-AD98-A693CC8E6019.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	230871  
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks much
Old 01-03-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks much! We have the extended warranty too. I’m going to read through it and see if its covered. Seems like there’s always something.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. Just got it this early fall so I havent checked all that stuff. I assumed and I love that word, that all that would have checked by dealer. Guess not. The slide is in now. I helped push the slide in this morning from the outside awhile the better half was pushing the button. Went in pretty good but mama said it was still making those noises. We will be in Hilton Head this pm and will lift up the bedroom bed and check things out. Appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
WOW!! Guess that might be the issue too. I’ll check the motor mounts and see if they are loose. Looks like I may need to call the warranty people. Great pics, thanks much.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
A lot of your questions in your profile can be answered in this link for you and give you some background on your problems you may have.
There are other ways of finding answers by using a Newmar search engine and all the links below in my signature will have more answers for you.
Your coach will require yearly maintenance because your house on wheels will get shaken up by the roads you travel on. The link will give you items that will need to be checked,that are used for a good experience with your Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schask View Post
WOW!! Guess that might be the issue too. I’ll check the motor mounts and see if they are loose. Looks like I may need to call the warranty people. Great pics, thanks much.
You are welcome. We bought our coach brand new and 6 months into our first year of ownership we had to have the bedroom slide motor replaced under warranty. The work was done at an RV dealership in Southern California. This time we had the motor replaced at Newmar in Nappanee and this time the slide closes evenly all around. Cost was $599.00 for the motor plus 3.5 hours for labor at $130.00 p/h. All covered by extended warranty. Has been working the best since we have owned the coach. Our experience is the work accomplished at Newmar is the best! We had quite a bit of work accomplished there for over two weeks and are very pleased with the people and quality of work.

Hope it all works out for you!
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We have the USA Travel Care warranty. Is that your company too?

Tags
slide