Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

EAA AirVenture - Who's Going?

Who is going to AirVenture/Oshkosh? While AirVenture is the worlds largest air show running from July 23-29 this year, many don't know it is reported to be the largest gathering of RV's anywhere in the country. I have heard up to 10,000 RV's are parked on the field during AirVenture. If you just like RV's and not airplanes you will see every type on the field.

We are currently on the road to Oshkosh after departing Thermal, CA a few days ago. In Colorado right now. This is my longest trip yet with the New Aire. Here is our route.

My New Aire web camera is live up front on the coach. Currently the image is updating every 30 minutes. Will keep the feed live through AirVenture for those interested in watching the show.

Here is the web cam image:

Here is the coach tracking page that includes live weather on board the New Aire.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was working on a film there about 7 years ago. They had a lot of very old planes on display there. A lot of hangers with glass walls on one side to look in at the planes. I'm not a plane buff but it was very interesting. We used a few in the background of the old plane that was taking off with John Dillinger.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I was working on a film there about 7 years ago. They had a lot of very old planes on display there. A lot of hangers with glass walls on one side to look in at the planes. I'm not a plane buff but it was very interesting. We used a few in the background of the old plane that was taking off with John Dillinger.
Sounds like EAA Museum that is on field as well.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m already here but at a CG nearby (Kalbush). I move over to the EAA grounds Sunday morning. I’ll be in the RV Fantasy tours group.

I nearly got run over by a MADP on I41S in Green Bay area. Wondered if he was coming here too. Glad to see I’m not the only one that drives faster than 55.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I’m already here but at a CG nearby (Kalbush). I move over to the EAA grounds Sunday morning. I’ll be in the RV Fantasy tours group.
We are with the same group. See you Sunday AM. Going to be in Hancock, WI at the Oasis RV Park, night before Fantasy Tours sets up.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
We are with the same group. See you Sunday AM. Going to be in Hancock, WI at the Oasis RV Park, night before Fantasy Tours sets up.

Great. Safe travels. See you there.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

EAA AirVenture - Who's Going?

not this year. First went in 86, just after buying a 76 T-210. I was 48 with a very fresh VFR license. Took family and off we went to OSH. Landed in Fondulac to avoid landing procedures at OSH. Enjoyed the show and warbirds. VFR over and back no problems. 92 was next trip in a P337. Had instrument ticket by then. Again in 96 with a Cessna 425 turbine. I was “styling “. After 2200 hours figured I should get out while ahead. Promised DW a new motor home. So we are in our 10th coach and still loving it. So no Oshkosh this year.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Will be Fallowing. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've gone on and off since 2014 in our Canyon Star, then last year in our Roadtrek. We love it. It's a great show and you're right, tons of RV's are there. The evening airshows and fireworks are something else. Make sure to attend some of the hands-on workshops, if you're looking to learn about things like composite construction to welding, there is a workshop.

We decided to tour the Northeast this year so we skipped the Airventure. We'll be back, though.

BTW, the EAA Museum is on the Northwest corner of the grounds by the Pioneer Airport. You can get there from the campground by bike or bus (or a nice walk).

We have always stayed the whole week and have never seen or done everything, way too much to pick from. You could spend days looking at the displays in the main section of the airshow. If you do museums like I do (read every description and ask the docents questions if they are available) it'll take you a half a day just to see the EAA Museum. It's a good place to go on a hot day as it's air conditioned.

Looks like after some rain on Saturday you'll have a stretch of good weather for next week. With highs in the 80's and lows in the low 60's for most of the week it should not be too humid.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

Been going to the annual EAA get together since 1973 way before they changed the name to AirVenture. For an aviator it is as close as you can get to heaven without dying. So sad it only lasts a week.

Flew my first homebuilt airplane to Oshkosh in 1973, then the second one in 1978. For an EAA member you have not arrived until you put and airplane together in your garage and then fly it to AirVenture.

In the last 10 years they have made AirVenture a 24x7 event. You will never see so many old farts in one place having so much fun. Sort of like Woodstock for seniors.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slightly off Topic

We were at the Airventure in 1989 or 1990(the year the Concorde was there). In the evening before things started I was looking through the program and saw my name as a presenter of a seminar, but alas, it wasnt me, but this guy who no doubt forgotten more about aviation that I could ever possibly hope to know.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley...WBsads8Q%3D%3D
Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We go every year and arrive early to volunteer with “stuff”, been here for a week already!

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3124
2015 Ford Edge Titanium
Bcondrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Been going to the annual EAA get together since 1973 way before they changed the name to AirVenture. For an aviator it is as close as you can get to heaven without dying. So sad it only lasts a week.

Flew my first homebuilt airplane to Oshkosh in 1973, then the second one in 1978. For an EAA member you have not arrived until you put and airplane together in your garage and then fly it to AirVenture.

In the last 10 years they have made AirVenture a 24x7 event. You will never see so many old farts in one place having so much fun. Sort of like Woodstock for seniors.
Been several years since we have flown in there and have been wanting to take the coach in for several years now. Is it all dry camping unless you go in with rally and I assume normal parking is first come first served without reservations? I have slept under the wing and in the dorms and normally either froze or tried to survive the heat you never knew which, but what fun. Enjoy and have fun
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #14

I will be coming in on Sunday as well! I won't be in the campground this year with my RV though. It will be parked right behind the Powrachute tent by the Red Ultralight Barn vendors. I will be working that booth again this year. Being I am in a sling with my right arm and not able to ride my bike from the campground to the display tent, this arrangement was worked out for me to be able to be there.

It certainly IS a big show! Enjoy your stay everyone!

Tags
air, vent