Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I simply activate the Hotspot on my iPhone and connect the iPad to it. That provides me with a better keyboard (I have a Bluetooth keyboard attached to my iPad) and a more secure connection.

And, I only pay bills directly to the vendor (utilities, etc.) and not through my bank which would expose my bank account to potential hacking.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I simply activate the Hotspot on my iPhone and connect the iPad to it. That provides me with a better keyboard (I have a Bluetooth keyboard attached to my iPad) and a more secure connection.

And, I only pay bills directly to the vendor (utilities, etc.) and not through my bank which would expose my bank account to potential hacking.
Probably some of the best advice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #31

All of my banking is direct deposit and direct bill. All utilities are auto pay from 1 credit card that is used for that purpose only and all credit cards and truck mayment are auto pay from 1 checking account used for that purpose only. I do not need to go into that account for any reason when on travel. I also have several alerts set for that account. This has worked for me for over 15 years. But, I agree nothing involving WiFi or internet is 100% secure. If you don't want the world to see it why put it out there. My grandkids put their lives on social media for strangers to see. I'm to old to understand I guess.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #32

Quote:

But you are exposing your credit/debit card number. Better credit than debit as the limits you are responsible for are different.

The fellow with autopay has the best answer. Periodically get on a secure location to check the account.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Your problem of course is bluetooth is normally only a 4 or 5 digit code, I can easily crack by brut force attacks in minutes, sometimes seconds since most people use the default code. Of course I have to be reasonably close to you to camp onto and sniff your bluetooth traffic. Like in Starbucks or an RV or 2 away from you, or a common area of the park.

There is no guaranteed way to stay safe, but as I've said there are reasonable precautions you can take. End to End encrypted tunnels like tunnelbear, but don't use wireless keyboards they are weak points. 2-factor authentication. Even if your password is cracked or stole, they would also need your phone.

The thing to understand is everything is a trade off. Wireless keyboards may be worth it as long as you understand the risks. They certainly are convenient. I use one on my MacBook Pro. I just use the MAC's keyboard when typing passwords, easy no bluetooth traffic to sniff. Yes I've forgotten and typed on the wrong keyboard many times, it happens but at least I know the risks.

What about going off-grid to avoid all these issues. There is never any guarantee. Remember the Wells Fargo scandal a few weeks back. All the security in the world did not help. As long as you know there are risks, then it's up to you to decide how much security you want, or what step you take to mitigate the risks.
SMertens is offline   Reply With Quote